truth and culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.
Perhaps it was because I have been a tourist. Having spent some time in a couple of Central American countries, I find that one thing that is common to both, as well as folk from neighboring lands, is a complete disregard for the truth. Not to be insensitive, but I am beginning to wonder if lying is less stigmatized in Latin American cultures.

Thoughts...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hello.
Perhaps it was because I have been a tourist. Having spent some time in a couple of Central American countries, I find that one thing that is common to both, as well as folk from neighboring lands, is a complete disregard for the truth. Not to be insensitive, but I am beginning to wonder if lying is less stigmatized in Latin American cultures.

Thoughts...

Perhaps as a result of disregard for others and rules....which is clearly part of the mindset here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The truth appears to be subjective based on perspective. Often, "I don't know" is considered more of a shortcoming than providing a twisted tale full of erroneous details.

One gets pretty good at noticing the twitches in the corner of their people's mouths, rolling eyes, inappropriate pauses in speech just before an important detail. Often asking the same question again a few minutes later will elicit a response that differs from the previous statements.

I can sort of understand when you ask someone, "are you the one who installed that window upside down?" I cannot understand the lie when you ask, "is that your car?"

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
"The truth? You can't handle the truth!!..." Yes, I had to go there :) They say everyone lies...just a matter of which lies you prefer hearing....or fit your reality.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I' ve gotten use to the lies...... OK.
What I still dont understand is why people lie even when they KNOW the truth is going to come out ( or is already out......).
That gets to me......
I' ve deducted they are lying more to themselves than anything.........

And try explaining to them that its blasphemy to lie and then finish off with " si d?os quiere "....... in one ear, out the other......

Aug 6, 2006
I lived in Mexico for three years and have spent quite a bit of time in the DR. My observations are that Americans, Mexicans and Dominicans all lie on occasion, but that Americans are the best liars, and often make the lie depend on things that cannot be proven. Mexicans are more creative, and Dominicans, on average, are good at inventing lies and convincing themselves to believe then, that are clearly identifiable as lies to anyone with a knowledge of facts or rudimentary arithmetical skills.

Of course, lying always is a personal skill, and generalities are only generalities.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Akrasia

I guess, lying is done all over the world.
White lies are sometimes helpful and avoid hurting people.

What amazed me (no longer though) is that Dominicans often lie without any necessity.
Must be some kind of moral ignorance... :cross-eye

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"XO",...In your dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Howcan you tell when a Dominican is lying"???????????????????

Their lips are moving!!!

MOST USED LIE in the DR ???????????????

"No Fui Yo"!!!!

Most used lie in the Rest of the World"??????????????????????????

"I PROMISE,....No to Cum In YOUR MOUTH"!!!!!!!

Did I just post that?????????????
AND, it's "Viernes Santos"!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
What bothers me the most is if they don't know the answer they just make one up. For some strange reason "I don't know" is not an option here.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
"Me, I say the truth even when I lie".

[video=youtube;CDGq-41Ncz8]x[/video]

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
So...

I suppose one could reasonably glean, from the comments contributed in response to this question, that the answer to said question is clearly in the affirmative.

So much for my dreams of Spanish fueled, mocha latte nights of passion and days of cool, crisp cervesa. Sniff.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are worse things that can happen than being lied to. Especially if you approach most conversations with the expectation of it happening.

So yeah, it's paradise (qualified)!

messineymar2014

Sep 28, 2013
I am a straight shooter. Having to deal with so many deceptive people , has made my stay in the DR extremely stressful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A manager made me a promise that she was then unable to fulfil because she had misinterpreted the rules. Instead of just apologising for her error, which would have been OK, she stubbornly denied ever having made the promise. When I tackled the senior manager about it, the answer was "I believe both of you."

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am a straight shooter. Having to deal with so many deceptive people , has made my stay in the DR extremely stressful.

I sympathise with you as other than the occasional stretching of the truth when answering questions like " do I look fat in this dress" I'm don't deviate from the truth. Having raised three boys for 20 some years and two teenage girls for four years I have a reasonably good lie detector. There are people far more deceptive than Dominicans , in my experience. Generalizing, south east Asians are very deceptive and tricky people, so are Lebanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.