Need to put elderly aunt in a home in santiago

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I've got an elderly aunt living in Santiago, may need to put her in a home or assisted living. It may be too soon now for that but I fear it might be soon......or have someone living with and looking after her at home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hogar de Ancianos Eliseo Alvarez Luna

only home listed by the government in Santiago does not have any room http://salud.gob.do/download/docs/informes/ListaHogaresAncianosPrivados.pdf

Prices quoted here in SD for a practical nurse for a friend's mother who was paralyzed ran $10,000 pesos a month.. you would need two persons.. or 20,000 pesos... I would think that you could find someone to live in in Santiago for less than that assuming that there is room in the apartment?

here are some others .. but do not seem listed with government?? Empresas de cuidado de ni?os | Locanto

Most people want to stay at home if they can...

Her doctor would be able to get you a referral.

CobraBoy said he visited a place in Jarabacoa that he said looked pretty nice. Send him a PM ..

good luck..

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
thanks guys...I dont think she is that far gone yet looking at the options...I'm think what my aunt needs more at this time is someone to live with her. she doesnt need a nurse or anything like that. more like someone to keep her company as she is getting forgetful.....need a "persona de confianza", maybe a recomendation?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hogar de Ancianos Eliseo Alvarez Luna

only home listed by the government in Santiago does not have any room http://salud.gob.do/download/docs/informes/ListaHogaresAncianosPrivados.pdf

Prices quoted here in SD for a practical nurse for a friend's mother who was paralyzed ran $10,000 pesos a month.. you would need two persons.. or 20,000 pesos... I would think that you could find someone to live in in Santiago for less than that assuming that there is room in the apartment?

here are some others .. but do not seem listed with government?? Empresas de cuidado de ni?os | Locanto

Most people want to stay at home if they can...

Her doctor would be able to get you a referral.

CobraBoy said he visited a place in Jarabacoa that he said looked pretty nice. Send him a PM ..

good luck..

Thanks Annie!

On second thought, I don't think my aunt is that far gone. She still does everything on her own. She wont let me put her her anywhere at this point! She just needs a companion to help around the house and to help her keep things in order, She is not sick or anything, but a little forgetful! It worries me that shes living by herself..."Una persona de confiannza" is a little hard to come by these days....

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
this opened a few years ago... looks a lot more like what we Yanks are used to... ? Campo Claro, un? nuevo hogar para ancianos -

El centro cuenta con 32 confortables habitaciones, cada una con ba?o privado, aire acondicionado, nevera ejecutiva, tel?fono y televisor plasma.

Asimismo, ofrece las facilidades de biblioteca, restaurante, piscina, gimnasio, sal?n de belleza, spa, capilla y una unidad m?dica de estabilizaci?n para cualquier emergencia, adem?s de disfrutar de consultas dentales, din?mica de grupo y terapias.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
this opened a few years ago... looks a lot more like what we Yanks are used to... * Campo Claro, un* nuevo hogar para ancianos -

El centro cuenta con 32 confortables habitaciones, cada una con ba?o privado, aire acondicionado, nevera ejecutiva, tel?fono y televisor plasma.

Asimismo, ofrece las facilidades de biblioteca, restaurante, piscina, gimnasio, sal?n de belleza, spa, capilla y una unidad m?dica de estabilizaci?n para cualquier emergencia, adem?s de disfrutar de consultas dentales, din?mica de grupo y terapias.

This is overkill!!! but thanks anyway...I think I ought to change the title of the thread to "need to hire a companion for elderly aunt in santiago at home", right?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You will probably get the best referrals from the people in her building, or her neighbors. Ask them to ask around among the folks that work for them, for someone that they trust... And be sure to ask what the going rate is and what the practice is... how much time off, what the tasks should be, what she is expected to do, all that, so that you have a clear idea.

My neighbor has three little kids and has a live in.. she stays in the cuarto, works 6 days a week, makes breakfast and lunch for the kids, not dinner, takes the little ones too and from school, and puts them down for a nap... then, basically the parents take over... well, ok, she probably bathes them .. she gets $12,000 a month..

If your aunt is used to living alone, she might not take to having someone actually live with her. So you will have to hone in a bit about what she needs. She probably already has a cleaner? Does she need someone closer to her intellectual ability.. to keep track of doctor's appointments, or maybe someone to go with her to them? Pay the bills? cook?

See.. it is a long list.

You might consider even a college student. It might be good for her not to have someone under foot ALL the time.. and that is a good match for age.

I am an elder myself so I think about this.. some days, I think that my dog is just not going to be enough.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
okay.. I looked back and see that you are of Dominican heritage.. which means that you have cousins all over the place. So that would perhaps be another place to look for a person of confianza?? A younger woman from the Campo who wants to study a bit in Santiago?

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
okay.. I looked back and see that you are of Dominican heritage.. which means that you have cousins all over the place. So that would perhaps be another place to look for a person of confianza?? A younger woman from the Campo who wants to study a bit in Santiago?

Yes, I grew up in Santiago and not too many cousins around as they almost all went to NY or the capital...The younger woman from el campo idea is great! I've been living in Miami for the past 10 years and am a little disconnected. Was just in Santiago two days ago to do some things, unfortunately not really a vacation....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

tru, almost un heard of in d.r. paying for care....family, stay home the fees u will pay some other family member can use...

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
tru, almost un heard of in d.r. paying for care....family, stay home the fees u will pay some other family member can use...

kind of short on family in santiago, as almost all have gone to the capital or the states or llive in the campo...but I can ask the few here who could stay...thanks chic!