Wanted - Tortoise

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As my landscaping endeavors near competition it is time to begin the second phase which is to add a little permanent wildlife to my new vista. For a long time I have wanted to be able to have a tortoise or two wandering around the yard munching on the lawn flowers, the grass and chasing away interlopers. Until now I have not had the space or a climate conducive to providing a sustainable habitat year round for such a creature.

My initial searches of english websites has not returned anything of substance regarding native tortoises in the DR, whether or not such is a protected species or any person/organization that breeds, sells or acts as a conservator for tortoises here.

Maybe someone with a better reading comprehension in Spanish can try a google search for me in that language?

It would be my preference to work with a native species if such exists but will consider importing if I cannot find a local solution. I am not looking for any protected species or any that are illegal to own in captivity. I would really prefer not to have to go through the bureaucracy involved with importation but will consider going this route if a local solution is not available.

Anyone seen tortoises at Pricesmart? ;)

Thx.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Security is not my main requirement. There are shotguns all over the place.

Ease of care, being able to leave any animals alone for a few days, not having to construct extensive shelters etc. Quiet animals are my preference, I don't live in the campo so I want to be careful not to annoy the neighbors too much. I prefer more green grass than feces. I'm not looking to start a farm. Might consider a rabbit hutch in the future.

Love slow moving, non-escape artist, non-digging animals. Always wanted a tortoise or two. These are certainly do-able here but I expect may be difficult to source.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw few wild turtles in costambar. although "wild turtle" sounds a bit like an oxymoron. lovely creatures. they bite. one took a small chunk of my finger.

i knew two people who kept turtles as pets but no idea where they get the animals from. no grass involved, thou. turtles lived small shallow pools/ponds with few stones.

now someone will tell me there is a difference between tortoise and turtle.i spit on this difference. them things look the same.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Turtles require water and I do not wish to maintain a pond although an arching bridged over a pond between the path and the palapa with some coy/carp would be cool, way too much money and ongoing work - would really cut into the available drinking time.

Aug 6, 2006
I do not think there is such a thing as a domestic turtle or tortoise. They are probably not on any top ten or even top twenty list as guard animals, though.

Their protection would be largely restricted to the type of home invader who takes time to wiggle their fingers in front of the tortoise's (or turtle's) mouth.
Such burglars are rather rare.

On the other hand, they are quiet, owing to their lack of voices. The Biblical quote "The voice of the turtle is heard in the land" seems to be one of the less reality-based pieces of Holy Scripture.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I do not think there is such a thing as a domestic turtle or tortoise. They are probably not on any top ten or even top twenty list as guard animals, though.

Don't underestimate the power of a properly trained turtle, let's keep the turtle in our prayers!

mikey-turtle.jpg

May 29, 2006
For easy care animals, I'd look to befriend some wild parrots. They can take care of themselves and have more personality than a tortoise. There are two or three native species on the island. This little guy is about six inches tall. I don't know if getting them from a pet store is a good idea though..

10399659_1090693025048_9630_n.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
The English speaker is faced with the plight of whether to call a shelled reptile a turtle, a tortoise or even a terrapin.
The main feature is that turtles swim and tortoises and terrapins do not.
In Spanish there are "tortugas marinas, tortugas del r?o and tortugas terrestres".

There is a sandwich and beer joint facing the Malec?n in Barahona that has, inexplicably, a display of large tortugas del r?o. They and quite large (about a meter from tip of nose to tail). Regrettably, they are unversed in the martial arts.
They are the restaurant's main attraction, the sandwiches being less than spectacular. Only the mang? is worth the bother.

There seems to be little real motivation for any of these creatures, even the fictitious ones, to wear masks. Wearing masks of different colors seems rather counter productive.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
[video=youtube;ugRct9pNQYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugRct9pNQYM[/video]

Here I leave you to listen to a little "Terrapin Station".

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier

I have a few tortoises living in an interior garden of my house in Cabral, a small one open to the elements, that were brought out of the el campo years ago. Last time I was in there cutting back the growth, the little pine tree is now 30ft tall and goes straight up and now gives shade to the 2nd floor patio, I noticed that there seemed to be some " little ones " hiding out. Guess they have been up to a bit more than munching the greens so to speak.

It is time to again venture into the " interior of the jungle " to do a bit more cutting back and I will take a bit of time to see if I can locate the little tykes. If so, maybe we can work out a Caribe Tours transfer.

Will have my gardener check this out later this week. Right now I am just trying to clean up the house after the yearly invasion of my sobrinas, their amigas and novios for the Samana Santa Carnival. Everyone is leaving throughout the day. Not that I did not enjoy scantly dressed young women wondering about the house at all hours of the day and night for a week.

Will be in touch.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Aug 6, 2006
The turtles on display in Barahona are of the sort called Jicotea.

Jicotea Dominicana
Trachemys decorata
Familia: Emydidae
?rden: Testudines
Clase: Reptilia
Filo: Chordata
Reino: Animalia

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We have two water turtles, bought in El Arca (Bravo Churchill). One disappeared and we found it back three months later in the backyard, about two times bigger than when it disappeared. Apparently they need water but it had been without entering in water for months.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
words "disappeared" and "turtle" do not go together well. this must have been the slowest escape from captivity in the history of turlekind.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
words "disappeared" and "turtle" do not go together well. this must have been the slowest escape from captivity in the history of turlekind.

i have to admit to a dimilar occurance - i eas cleaning my faughtet't turtle tank an put that 8" diametet red eared slider down for 5 minutrs. it escaped!!!! never found it.

i think for your gatden consider a few hatians. nice dispositions, easy to care for, wil care for the plants better than any alternatives!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We had a small plastic cage for them, perfect when they were small, but the one that escaped became big enough to climb on the other one and go over the border. We expect that's what he did when once our son left the cage on the ground on the terraza. Another possibility is that a cat or a bird got him and let him go in the backyard.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Learn from the Turtle Master.

[video=youtube;BZqa25BH4FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZqa25BH4FQ[/video]