PackaBarrel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
Anyone ever hear of this place? Packabarrel. They claim you can buy online, through their website, groceries, whatnot, and they'll deliver straight to the recipient's home (in this case, in the DR). It seems a little too easy. Anyone ever use them?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
This has the name "buyer beware" all over this idea. You are purchasing food and items you have not seen. Find your own barrel and pack it yourself.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
niknak

I looked for this company all I could find was old info, nothing current. a Barrel costs ( in NY 25-37.00 ) then $ 150.00 to ship, and entitled to add 2-1/2 gallons of oil or 50 Lbs of Rice shipped at no charge and outside of the barrel, so you can pack what you want inside. This is the current pricing in my area. Door to door about 3 weeks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Maybe a dumb question. How do you ship rice and oil outside of the barrel and have them arrive?

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
Guys, I appreciate your input on this. I guess I will skipping this place. As for doing it myself, well obviously if I were there I'd do it myself... I was just looking on alternative ways to help this sweet lady I know, elderly, hard-working (the anti-dominican work-mentality from today). We like to giver her a helping hand on occassion, and with the prices around here, well... Nonetheless, thanks guys.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Helping Out with a BB

... As for doing it myself, well obviously if I were there I'd do it myself...

It does not matter where you are.
You pick one of those blue barrel shippers and buy stuff online and have it sent to the shipper.
Once the barrel is full they'll ship it to your 'old lady' or a reliable address near her.
Don't forget the bag of rice and the cooking oil as an extra.... :classic:
Shipping costs around 160 - 180 USD (incl. the BB).

donP

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
It does not matter where you are.
You pick one of those blue barrel shippers and buy stuff online and have it sent to the shipper.
Once the barrel is full they'll ship it to your 'old lady' or a reliable address near her.
Don't forget the bag of rice and the cooking oil as an extra.... :classic:
Shipping costs around 160 - 180 USD (incl. the BB).

donP

Thanks for the this!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Wait a few months, you won't remember her name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never a good idea to "GIFT" DOMINICANS.
They start to EXPECT it, and then get PI$$ed when you don't, or just start to help them selves to your "STUFF"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

30 years experience here posting!!!!!!!!!!!

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Hi niknak

to answer your question , and as DonP said it's easy... they put a label on those items and ship them w/ your barrel, but on one delivery I saw , the bottle was damaged a bit & was leaking slightly... regardless it made it. The Rice Bags if your were to do this HAVE TO BE not light plastic but a Burlap type of bag , it you look at Thai ( Jasmine rice, my favorite!) rice, it is Plastic sealed lined inside & white reinforced plastic bagged exterior, quite durable , so no issues there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi niknak

to answer your question , and as DonP said it's easy... they put a label on those items and ship them w/ your barrel, but on one delivery I saw , the bottle was damaged a bit & was leaking slightly... regardless it made it. The Rice Bags if your were to do this HAVE TO BE not light plastic but a Burlap type of bag , it you look at Thai ( Jasmine rice, my favorite!) rice, it is Plastic sealed lined inside & white reinforced plastic bagged exterior, quite durable , so no issues there.

Exactly - we do it every shipment. We buy the big 2.5 gallon jug of oil at Sam's Club [it's inside a box], sent that down with 100 pounds of rice [2 fifty-pound bags] and 50 pounds of bread flour [2 twenty-five pound bags] outside the boxes. We did wrap the rice and flour in clear stretch film for extra strength. Pop a label on each and they come to you in DR with the boxes/tanques.

Status
Not open for further replies.