Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Entering DR next, passport expires in 4 months.

My US passport expires in August. I'm concerned they're going to give me a hard time at immigration in Punta Cana. I have my Dominican residency. Not sure if that will make a difference. I don't have enough time even with expedited service to get my passport renewed before I leave. I'm leaving the DR at the end of May so I can prove I'll be gone before it expires.

Thoughts anyone? Am I playing with fire? You think they'll turn me away?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    My US passport expires in August. I'm concerned they're going to give me a hard time at immigration in Punta Cana. I have my Dominican residency. Not sure if that will make a difference. I don't have enough time even with expedited service to get my passport renewed before I leave. I'm leaving the DR at the end of May so I can prove I'll be gone before it expires.

UK Foreign Office advice to tourists visiting DR is as below:

Passport validity

If you’re entering as a tourist your passport must be valid up to at least the date of your proposed departure from the Dominican Republic.

Maybe the same for residents who can prove exit prior to date of expiry.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem at all.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

not even sure why you'd think there is a problem.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

From the website of the ministry of tourism of the DR:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    A valid passport is required. You may also need a tourist card (US$10 or €10) or a visa.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think your residency will carry the day....

As to why you should ask (from Munecote)...
    good question seeing as any other RD passport requirement varies from 6 to 18 months validity.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post

No "maybe"s or " I think"s. Check official IATA web site for up to date entry requirements.

8. Likes corsair74 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You probably won't have a problem, but you could. For non citizens entering most countries your passport is supposed to be valid for at least six months after your demonstrable date of departure. This requirement exists so that in the event that you encounter a situation such as an injury or illness that prevents your from leaving as planned, your passport does not expire while you are outside your home country.

If you have a return ticket, you should be able to breath easier. If not, that might cause a Dominican to do some math and that is never good...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's valid for the duration of your stay you're fine.

11. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay.. so I found this on the US Dominican Embassy's website:
    4) Which documents do I need to enter the Dominican Republic?

If you are an American citizen or can legally travel or reside in the United States, you will need a passport valid for the time that you remain in the Dominican Republic, green card or visa for the United States (for non US citizens) and a tourist card that can be purchased online at https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/# or at any Dominican port of entry. The fee for the Tourist Card is US$10.00.

Nothing about the passport needing to be valid for 6 months.

However, the UK Dominican Embassy's website contradicts it:
    How much time do I need to have on my Passport to visit the Dominican Republic?

To enter the Dominican Republic, a Passport must be valid for 6 months.

I'm inclined to think that since I'm a resident, none of that matters anyway. As it stands, I'm not worried and I'm going to wait till my next trip to the States to get my passports renewed.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast