Entering DR next, passport expires in 4 months.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My US passport expires in August. I'm concerned they're going to give me a hard time at immigration in Punta Cana. I have my Dominican residency. Not sure if that will make a difference. I don't have enough time even with expedited service to get my passport renewed before I leave. I'm leaving the DR at the end of May so I can prove I'll be gone before it expires.

Thoughts anyone? Am I playing with fire? You think they'll turn me away?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My US passport expires in August. I'm concerned they're going to give me a hard time at immigration in Punta Cana. I have my Dominican residency. Not sure if that will make a difference. I don't have enough time even with expedited service to get my passport renewed before I leave. I'm leaving the DR at the end of May so I can prove I'll be gone before it expires.

UK Foreign Office advice to tourists visiting DR is as below:

Passport validity

If you’re entering as a tourist your passport must be valid up to at least the date of your proposed departure from the Dominican Republic.

Maybe the same for residents who can prove exit prior to date of expiry.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
From the website of the ministry of tourism of the DR:

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
A valid passport is required. You may also need a tourist card (US$10 or €10) or a visa.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would think your residency will carry the day....

As to why you should ask (from Munecote)...
good question seeing as any other RD passport requirement varies from 6 to 18 months validity.....

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua

No "maybe"s or " I think"s. Check official IATA web site for up to date entry requirements.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You probably won't have a problem, but you could. For non citizens entering most countries your passport is supposed to be valid for at least six months after your demonstrable date of departure. This requirement exists so that in the event that you encounter a situation such as an injury or illness that prevents your from leaving as planned, your passport does not expire while you are outside your home country.

If you have a return ticket, you should be able to breath easier. If not, that might cause a Dominican to do some math and that is never good...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Okay.. so I found this on the US Dominican Embassy's website:
4) Which documents do I need to enter the Dominican Republic?

If you are an American citizen or can legally travel or reside in the United States, you will need a passport valid for the time that you remain in the Dominican Republic, green card or visa for the United States (for non US citizens) and a tourist card that can be purchased online at https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/# or at any Dominican port of entry. The fee for the Tourist Card is US$10.00.

Nothing about the passport needing to be valid for 6 months.

However, the UK Dominican Embassy's website contradicts it:
How much time do I need to have on my Passport to visit the Dominican Republic?

To enter the Dominican Republic, a Passport must be valid for 6 months.

I'm inclined to think that since I'm a resident, none of that matters anyway. As it stands, I'm not worried and I'm going to wait till my next trip to the States to get my passports renewed.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
From Canada it needs to be 6 months. That's what the travel agency told me last year. But I don't know if that's a fact. Nevertheless you can rest assured the customs in PUJ won't even look at the expiry date.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Contango, I think the key here is that there is most likely a distinction between someone entering the country as a tourist as opposed to entering as a resident. None of the information I have found so far makes that distinction and I presume they are almost surely referring to tourists, not residents.

I wouldn't have even worried about it before they opened the new terminal at PUJ because at the old terminal they didn't have computers. They just flipped open the passport to a blank page and stamped it. At the new terminal they have computers and swipe the passport on entry. It may very well give some kind of visual indication that the passport is near to expiring.

I'll be sure to let you all know what happened when I enter next week.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your welcome. This is one of those situations where you will probably not experience a problem. You won't know for sure until your are standing at immigration. It all comes down to your comfort level and what you are prepared to deal with.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
regardless of what happens here,

I think we can all agree that the face of RD Immigration has changed....

I notice more people asking / reporting on entry and exit issues.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Check with the airline you'll be using!!!!

Some have passport requirements on this matter.

I was in the same position last year, with only a few months left- United had me on hold,.....then came back on the line and said I was good to travel on their airline with only a few months left on the passport.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I entered this March 3 with an expiry of March25. No issues. I got mine renewed in SD and it took 9 days start to finish, but you need to tell them to put a rush or it will hang around SD for a few days before they send it to the USA.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The D.R. requires the passport is valid for the duration of your visit. Period. All the rest is conjecture.