Getting Around

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
Hi, I'm visitng DR in June and I need to get from La Romana to Samana/Las Terranas. What's the best way for me to go?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Alternatives: walk, taxi, guagua, rent car, no motos (death), caribi tours/metro. Combine as necessary.

One of the many great thing in the DR: you can get from point a to point b, regardless of how distant or remote!

Rental car is doable because you will be on the highway mostly and then pretty good roads.

Taxi is easiest but most expensive. Somebody know the cost? Maybe 200US?

Guagua, etc great adventure and cheap.

Metro/caribi you will need to combine with other forms.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
Guagua and Rental Car sound like the top two. I like adventure! Thank you friend. Will it be safe for foreigners to take the Guagua?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Check other threads about similar routes. It is safe for foreigners to take guaguas and buses, normal common sense precautions apply.

From Bayahibe to La Romana - local guagua - leave as early as possible.
From La Romana you have two options - take the Sichoem bus to Santo Domingo and a taxi to the Caribetour station, for a bus to Saman?
The other option is more risky - to ask the La Romana Santo Domingo bus driver to drop you off at the Saman? highway, from where you can take a guagua or a Caribe Tours bus to Saman?

Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sichoem/128773007199993

Aug 6, 2006
I have taken many a guagua with no problems other than moderate overcrowding on tiny seats.
Prices are reasonable. Between the larger cities, Caribetours and Metro are safer, faster and not much more expensive. There are several other companies that also have larger buses.
I can't recall being on a guagua that had a flat tire or a breakdown.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
First thing, if you are new to the DR, do not rent a car. Second, the taxi from La Romana is very expensive. I would travel via guagua to the capitol, and then, if you are going to Samana take either Caribe Tours or Metro, or, if you are going to LT, take the guagua that will go to LT directly. It will be a very long day either way. Consider spending a day in Santo Domingo and leaving the next day from there to go north.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hi, I'm visitng DR in June and I need to get from La Romana to Samana/Las Terranas. What's the best way for me to go?

First assumption: You have chosen to enter DR at La Romana International Airport for one reason or another. Doubt if you are visiting Casa de Campo....you would not be asking such a question if so.

Second assumption: You have read Samana and Las Terrenas are perhaps the most lovely parts of DR to visit.

Suggestion: Open up a map of DR and realize it is quite a big country.

If it is Las Terrenas you want to visit try and fly to El Catey or failing that to SDQ. It costs 200US by taxi from SDQ to Las Terrenas based upon the union fixed tariffs so from La Romana expect near double because it is a further 1.5 hours drive.

By bus, from airport to La Romana is about 10km and you will probably land up with a taxi fare of say 20US. In La Romana you can get an autobus to the entrance to the Samana highway for about 250rd then a guagua to Sanchez for 200rd and then a small guagua to Las Terrenas for less than 100rd after a walk to the junction. Moto conchos in LT will expect about 100rd to get you to you accommodation.

Should you choose to hire a car.......make sure you cover all the bases on insurance as a priority......including cover to give you hotel accommodation in lieu of jail should you be detained following an accident whilst investigations are carried out ...... and understand the fuel costs are quite high here......cUS4 per gallon and there are road tolls too. From La Romana you incur a 100rd toll en route to SDO and on the Samana highway to Las Terrenas there are 4 toll stations and the total cost is just short of 1000rd.

From El Catey to LT negotiate hard for a taxi albeit union tariffs are posted, they will charge you at least 40us (road toll is 12us)

Hope that helps

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
semana taxi??? car is 50$or less a day? your on vacation supposed to spend $...i think ive always rented a car in every country i've been in except Canada because i was driving my own.... and rental cars expense was always ok...in vacation budget

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In La Romana you can get an autobus to the entrance to the Samana highway for about 250rd then a guagua to Sanchez for 200rd and then a small guagua to Las Terrenas for less than 100rd after a walk to the junction.
All together 4-5 hours. Be sure to take the express-buses.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

The best way would be to hire a car and driver but that would be very very expensive. You should have flown into El Catey airport(AZS) which would have been 30 minutes from LT. From La Romana you would need to take a bus to Santo Domingo. Perhaps Bavaro Express and then take Transporte Las Terrenas to Las Terrenas. This bus leave Santo Domingo everyday at 8:30, 9:30 and 11AM and 3PM and drops you off in the tourist area of LT across from Paseo Plaza. You could also rent a car and drive but I wouldn't suggest this if this is the first time in the DR.
Here is the number in Santo Domingo for info: 809-687-1470.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Expreso B?varo does not stop in La Romana. The bus company that goes from La Romana to Santo Domingo is called Sichoem - see post 4

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Expreso B?varo does not stop in La Romana. The bus company that goes from La Romana to Santo Domingo is called Sichoem - see post 4

Thanks Chirimoya, not really familiar with the leg of La Romana to SD. Another case of getting a cheaper flight into an airport nowhere near the end game. Again from SD Transporte Las Terrenas is the best bet to Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas.

Norberto61

Jun 21, 2015
Never ever drive yourself in a latin american country unless you are staying for more than a couple months - the cost savings and convenience are just not worth the risk of what can go wrong - if something does go wrong you could be going straight to jail till it gets resolved - whether its your fault or not - the other thing is that while I am sure it looks like a nice new car you have no idea how it was maintained and you can bet that it has not been used gently - guess whose fault it will be if your brakes or steering or anything else fails