garinteer for residency?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I just talked to a lawyer and she said I gan get residency with a garinteer. The garinteer need a certen amount of money in the
But she could not tell me a lot more about it. Has anyone gotten residency with the help of a Dominican garinteer?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If your lawyer could not provide you with additional information in regards to what the requirements are for your guarantor, I would suggest hiring another lawyer. Do a search for "guarantor" on here and you should find what you're looking for.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
If your lawyer could not provide you with additional information in regards to what the requirements are for your guarantor, I would suggest hiring another lawyer. Do a search for "guarantor" on here and you should find what you're looking for.

What she probably meant was that she couldn't tell him more about it...for free.;)$$$

Hey man, lawyers gotta eat too!

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
She was bizzy and wanted me to send her emails. I do not know how mouch thy must have but it also looks like it may be quite a comitment on
The part of the garinteer.

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
basically yacht chef this is why the fees can be a little high with lawyers the guarantor has to be Dominican citizen and economically solvent for e.g. minimum 100000pesos in a bank the equivalent in land or property car etc. then a letter proving solvency drawn up by a lawyer. then a declaration drawn up also by lawyer with 2 Dominican witnesses who know your guarantor. I'm going through the process myself now but this is the main reason foreigners need a lawyer for residency. Good luck the migration website has the full list of things you need.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Exactly what is the responsibility of the guarantor? Is it like a co-signer in the US in that they are responsible financially?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A bit off topic, but if u do decide to send an e-mail,do a draft and get someone to go over it for u........:laugh:
If u have no one on hand, I am sure a dr1er will help out....... me for example.....
I am sure it will help in ure exchanges with the law firm........

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Ego that is what I am trying to find out. But yes I think so I would not expect them to relly be responsable $10.000 us in a bank account of a domincan would not last long. I wounder if this bank info would have to showne every time of renuel of residency. Eyes you have frends in high places.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes very well said eyes .. you can trip over so easily in the process that having a lawyer is good sense.. Yes yacht chef ,,you will need a bank statement that shows the balance in the account of your guarantor at the end of the last 3 months and the same thing has to be repeated every time . The process of repeating is simpler as you know the roaps..Papers need to be notarised and then stamped at the office in Malacon Centre every time .. But if you have all your papers in order , a good lawyer will have a check list, then you breeze through the immigration office after the first time. The first time is always the hardest because you need to do so many more things.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Exactly what is the responsibility of the guarantor? Is it like a co-signer in the US in that they are responsible financially?

That's exactly what one is. If the applicant takes off leaving debts, the guarantor can be on the hook. Most lawyers for a fee will act as the guarantor.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes very well said eyes .. you can trip over so easily in the process that having a lawyer is good sense.. Yes yacht chef ,,you will need a bank statement that shows the balance in the account of your guarantor at the end of the last 3 months and the same thing has to be repeated every time . The process of repeating is simpler as you know the roaps..Papers need to be notarised and then stamped at the office in Malacon Centre every time .. But if you have all your papers in order , a good lawyer will have a check list, then you breeze through the immigration office after the first time. The first time is always the hardest because you need to do so many more things.

Having a guarantor can be just one step in the Residency process. If you need a guarantor than you probably can't afford an attorney. If you can't afford a realiable attorney to assist you in the process than don't waste your time. This process is not cheap. Maybe you need to move on to another place where the requirements aren't going to be as stringent. Try Columbia, Venezula or Haiti.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
LT,

I believe every new residency applicant these days needs a guarantor. I think it has less to do with having enough money than it does to provide a straight forward legal means to recoup debt should the applicant come here, run amok, leaving a bunch of unpaid water, electricity, rent bills. Additionally, if one gets all drunked up, drives down the sidewalk laying waste to numerous innocents then flees the country before the "justice system" has a chance to "make things right", one's guarantor might receive a knock on the door.

I needed a guarantor which my lawyer readily agreed to be for an extra US$ 500 each. I think this service may be what ups the lawyer's fees for some applicants to the point where others here find them to be extravagant.

Regardless, for someone who has not lived here before, It's really hard to find someone local willing to act a guarantor apart from one's lawyer, so you end up paying whatever they feel like charging.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
LT
I relly want the DR I have routs down I am even thinking about getting married to achieve this. I was asking. About the garinteer because I thought
That this may be another opthion with out having to show that I have $2000 a mounth income. It may take me some time to get the money for the lawer but I am just trying to explore all my options. I relly want this.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
YC,

According to the vocal majority here, by the time you get all this sorted out, this place will be a hell hole and we'll all be sipping mojitos on the Malecon in Havana. You may wish to just skip the DR and head straight to Cuba, get a good table and wait for us to arrive. ;-)

Feb 7, 2007
I think it has less to do with having enough money than it does to provide a straight forward legal means to recoup debt should the applicant come here, run amok, leaving a bunch of unpaid water, electricity, rent bills.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Guarantor is not for "paying off debts" but for repatriation purposes. Even the guarantee letter states that.

Feb 7, 2007
It's really hard to find someone local willing to act a guarantor apart from one's lawyer, so you end up paying whatever they feel like charging.

Not really. Set up an SRL, costs about 10,000 pesos with you as the majority shareholder, hire a neighbor as VP, do an Asamblea where you authorize him to be company rep for immigration matters, and have him sign the guarantee letter under the company (no obligation for the signer), all stamped and filed with Chamber of Commerce (Registro Mercantil). Perfectly acceptable, total cost less than 10,000 pesos.

But then, some lawyers might be willing to sign that for 10,000 pesos as well...

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Rubio is this like incorperating my self a lawer told me that may be my best option to incorperate and then apply for visa she said there in no need to prove that I have a $2000 a mounth income if I am incoraperated. Do you know any more about this?
This way I am not a retiree or a renter.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, you can be a "business owner" in that case you are not retiree/renter (rentista) but you should have a sound business plan for the company, in case they ask...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT
I relly want the DR I have routs down I am even thinking about getting married to achieve this. I was asking. About the garinteer because I thought
That this may be another opthion with out having to show that I have $2000 a mounth income. It may take me some time to get the money for the lawer but I am just trying to explore all my options. I relly want this.

I understand what you are saying. I would try to line up a good attorney and get this done while the regularzation program is still June 15th. I think the DR Gov is going to have to extend this date because of the lack of cooperation from Haiti. Good luck and stick with it.