rabies in DR ?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
how much did you pay for it ? I wonder how big this problem is...and how many stray dogs/ cats are infected...

is there some kind of dominican's government rabies vacciness program for animals ?

I recently watched some movies about rabies and this is very "interesting" illness for sure.....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No rabies vaccine for humans. Just a really fun after a bite protocol.

Rabies is a horrendous disease and vaccinating pets for this and a few other diseases here and at home is job #1 for pet owners. Sadly, many local dogs/cats never see a Vet which is why it is so important to vaccinate yours.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
exactly, thats why I am asking if there is some vaccines program for animals here....I wonder if local people bother at all with vaccines for their animals....
No rabies vaccine for humans. Just a really fun after a bite protocol.

Rabies is a horrendous disease and vaccinating pets for this and a few other diseases here and at home is job #1 for pet owners. Sadly, many local dogs/cats never see a Vet which is why it is so important to vaccinate yours.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Its free, gvt sends people round once a year to vaccinate pets ( well in my case they gave us the shots to give to our pets....).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Public Health takes "Rabies" very seriously here!
They ave a huge program to vaccinate street dogs, or anyone elses dogs & cats for free.
Every summer te hire students to roam the barrios and vaccinate all animals the can see/catch.
They staple a yellow ribbon to the animals neck to show they have been treated.
They do all my cats and dogs every summer!
Seems to be effective.
Now if they would just come and inject all teenage girls with birth control serum!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a vaccine for rabies, both for humans and for animals. cdn_gringo is wrong here. preventive human rabies vaccine is not really common here but in europe it is given to vets and workers dealing with wild animals, especially foxes. occasionally some people get vaccinations before traveling to india (about 75% of all world cases of human rabies happen in india).
Rabies | Vaccines.gov

in DR ministry of public health organizes rabies vaccines for animals few times a year. it is free. the workers go inside barrios and either inject animals or leave the injections fro the owners to do. otherwise you can buy it at any vet store at the cost of 100 pesos.

human rabies in DR is extremely rare. the last case, i believe, was in 2013 when a 4 year old boy died. in the last decade there was only a handful of cases and even way before that, in the 70's and 80's there were only few deaths a year.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You're right DV8, I forgot my travel medicine guy suggested we get the vaccine before coming here but for some reason we were usable. I think multiple shots that were too far apart or something like that.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
After a dog bite,the local hospital injected me ( but now I cant remember, but I suppose it was anti-rabbies ).

After a dog bite,the local hospital injected me ( but now I cant remember, but I suppose it was anti-rabbies ).

I wanted the rabbies thing after we got bit but we got the tetanus instead. I was not to happy when I discovered there was a miscommunication about that!!!

All the dogs that DCDR spays and neuters at their clinics get the Rabbies vaccine. I know AAAS does the same
as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
harley, post exposure rabies shot is a bit complicated and consist of few injections, the first one being administered asap. there would normally be 5 injections in total, the first being human rabies immunoglobulin (close to the would) and the rest being normal vaccines in an intramuscular injections (arm or leg). i think public hospital may be doing this gratis.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Well thx now I will be stressed for a few more years!!!

No I know the dogs and it's all good.

They asked me to capture the dog, and observe him for rabbies signs over a few days......at the public hospital.
There was also, miscommunication, as, well, ehm, the dog was mine.:laugh::laugh:
They even sent a crew round to my house ( yes, yes can u believe....), to check the dog. Normal procedure if he exhibited extreme violence,would be to cut hishead off and send it for testing in SD. :alien::alien::alien:

Of course when they rang the bell at the gate the incriminated dog launched itself on the bars of the garage ( where I had locked him up...just in case )....... snarling and slashing, teeth bared out....:dead:
Thankfully they declined entering :laugh:, and my wife showed them the vaccine passport which was up to date.....and everyone was happy.... well the dog ( who didnt get his head macheted off ), my wife and salud public ( who were chuffed to see our dogs were treated well and upto date in vaccines )....
Well everyone except me that is,as I had my knee gouged out, infected and in need of shots.......:laugh:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Public Health takes "Rabies" very seriously here!
They ave a huge program to vaccinate street dogs, or anyone elses dogs & cats for free.
Every summer te hire students to roam the barrios and vaccinate all animals the can see/catch.
They staple a yellow ribbon to the animals neck to show they have been treated.
They do all my cats and dogs every summer!
Seems to be effective.
Now if they would just come and inject all teenage girls with birth control serum!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ewww!!!!!they already have that birth control feature......oral sex.....just say no!!!!!!!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
If you know how to inject you can get the vaccination at some Veterinarias for 180 pesos, they pack it with ice for transport. if you travel with your pet you need to use a Vet because he needs to stamp and sign the vaccination document.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
As i got informed once by the salud publica; the bats in the country are carrying the rabies virus mostly. I presume if they bite an animal they transmit it further on.... don't know. Just in the last 20 years there was one rabies case in the average of every 3 years or so, if i recall correctly.