Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone with an Automatic Car in Sosua wanting to give driving lessons?

My wife is currently studying US driving theory.
    I'd like her to have a few lessons DRIVING an automatic CAR (I have a stick shift Pickup Truck) inside the gated development in SOSUA.
    She's been driving the pickup truck a few times, but it's too much at the same time with the stick shift and all.
    She's smart and listens and speaks and understands English well enough.
    She will do her formal driving school and license in Florida.

Anyone feeling up to it and wanting to earn a couple of extra bucks, please PM me (no "local driving style" stuntmen please!)

Thanks! ... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no car, but I do have oodles of free unsolicited advice...

Have your wife take her time and get used to the clutch, friction point and smooth up with the left foot and down with the right foot.

Trust me, learn to drive on a standard and an automatic is a breeze. The other way around doesn't usually work out very well. Here in the DR, if you can't drive the standard transmission test vehicles, you'll have a restriction on your license limiting you to automatics. Seeing as your family owns a standard, I'd think being able to drive the family vehicle will be important one day.

It can take a few days to get the hang of a clutch. All your wife needs to do at the beginning is start and stop without stalling. No shifting, no turning. It might take a few days of practice. Start and stop as far as you can go without turning around. Then start and stop in reverse until you are back where you started. Repeat often as necessary. Then find a slight hill and practice starting and stopping without rolling backwards on the hill.

After she can do this in her sleep, then it's time to learn to drive.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with gringo don't bother with the automatic, standard is the way to learn.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys posting while drunk? If you follow out that logic, why not just put her in a Double A fuel dragster and make her learn
    in that - blindfolded? Really pile the stress on. She'll be a great driver than.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough most people think my crazy posts are when I am drunk, nope other way around!! Sober as ever, the best and only way to learn IMO is standard.

6. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    Oddly enough most people think my crazy posts are when I am drunk, nope other way around!! Sober as ever, the best and only way to learn IMO is standard.
    best advice ever follow the chic ken....

8. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i learned on a stick e z u want to drive you will learn,.....basic pattern etc

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When my daughter was learning to drive, she complained bitterly that my car was a stick shift and thus it was so much harder to drive. Once she had her license and was driving a stick shift Toyota Celica she loved the fact that oftentimes guys were amazed that she could drive stick when they couldn't. She ended up being very grateful to have learned that way.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If driving a stick is all too much at the same time, how is she going to get on when faced with real life driving on the road, having to face cars and other inevitable hazardous?

If she is serious about learning, she will learn to drive a stick shift, rather than take the easy way out.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

JD,

We had the same issue - my wife actually got her DR license before I let here drive in Holland. She took a lot of coaching with the stick and shift but eventually we made it work.

We practised together on a secluded parking lot, just stop and go until she got it right.

Best of luck!

MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast