Credit card change

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
How many people from outside countries specifically U.S, Canada and Spain live here solely because they use credit cards. From home?

What are people's opinion on this?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I mainly use my debit card. However, the are a number of US credit cards that do not charge a foreign translation fee and a great exhange rate. The chase sapphire preferred does this and cash back at Amazon.

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2007
Capital One 360 - no ATM withdrawals fee and no conversion fee
Fidelity Cash Management - no ATM withdrawals fee, no conversion fee, plus DR bank ATM fee reimbursement

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Why would someone choose to live here solely based on the ability to use their US credit card???????????/

Bob K

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As far as I am concerned the ONLY way to get your US money here, is to cash your personal US bank dollar checks at a "Casa de Cambio"!
I have been doing just that for 30 years!
The credit/debit card way was not good/safe before, now, with the foreign transaction charges, $hitty exchange rates, and CC fraud it's WORSE!!!

"GO PAPER"!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Only the stupid ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cccccccccccccccccccccccc

Consider me "one of the stupid ones". Unless I can get a discount for using pesos, I always use a CC.
My card gives me a better exchange rate than my cambio, plus no transaction fees and points towards rewards.
P.S. Your two posts on this matter contain no less than 35 exclamation points. Why? What does the use, by someone else, of a CC cause you to hypervent?
P.P.S. Doing something for 30 years doesn't guarantee (or even imply) correctness.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A 5% cash discount can normally be had just by asking the retailer for it over using a CC. In some cases the "taxes/surcharges" that the merchant charges can be less if using cash.

To each their own. Getting the best price often comes about by using one's words, cash and the knowledge that the next merchant may be more accommodating than the one currently standing in front of you. Leaving one store and saying why (because the merchant is not playing ball) gives me a sense of smug satisfaction if I know that the same item is available not far away for a comparable price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Consider me "one of the stupid ones". Unless I can get a discount for using pesos, I always use a CC.
My card gives me a better exchange rate than my cambio, plus no transaction fees and points towards rewards.
P.S. Your two posts on this matter contain no less than 35 exclamation points. Why? What does the use, by someone else, of a CC cause you to hypervent?
P.P.S. Doing something for 30 years doesn't guarantee (or eve
n imply) correctness.

old habits are hard to break

and besides, what could possibly have changed in 30 yrs.... other than one's girth ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sorry, I meant 'Garth' Drabinsky

The King of Broadway.... yellow cardigan, Cdn lawyer.. who revived B'way singlehandedly

A crook.... maybe out of jail now... reads like a novel -- look it up
Kiss of the Spider Woman, Phantom of the Opera........ the list goes on

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
sorry, I meant 'Garth' Drabinsky

The King of Broadway.... yellow cardigan, Cdn lawyer.. who revived B'way singlehandedly

A crook.... maybe out of jail now... reads like a novel -- look it up
Kiss of the Spider Woman, Phantom of the Opera........ the list goes on

We have an agent nicknamed Spider Woman in my office.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
slip into your ascot, and get the action rolling

Do you still have your spats?
I never liked the way you wore them w/ the TopSiders..........

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Can someone recommend a good casa de cambio in Santo Domingo? Also, what will be needed to cash a U.S check?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
checks vs. credit cards

What has changed greatly in 30 years is the risk and incidence of identity theft associated with paper checks. To each their own, but for me avoidable transaction fees and exchange rate fluctations are small prices to pay for protection against identity theft. I warn you in advance that a bit of research on this subject will scare the bejesus out of you.

On the other hand, in the interest of balanced commentary, one can control the risk of identity theft from the use of old school paper banking instruments by closely monitoring one's accounts and credit ratings.

old habits are hard to break

and besides, what could possibly have changed in 30 yrs.... other than one's girth ?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I like how the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES changed the term "Credit Card Fraud" to "IDENTITY THEFT". Identity theft isn't new... but it used to describe a very specific, very far reaching degree of fraud. NOW they call any run of the mill credit card fraud to THE MUCH MORE SCARY AND THREATENING (to the consumer)... IDENTITY THEFT. A very effective ploy of the spin doctors to reduce the losses to the BANKS. (sorry... veered a bit off topic...)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Just to be clear, when I use the term "identity theft" I am referring to the crime of assuming someone else's identity to perform fraudulent financial transactions such as bank cash withdrawals, online or in person credit card purchases, real estate sales or purchases, loans, etc. Paper checks are one of the methods criminals use to gather personal information they later use to assume someone else's identity. Credit card fraud is not nearly as harmful since cardholder liability is limited. Few credit card issuers require victimized carholders to do anything more than sign an affadavit or in some cases merely report the amount of fraud to absolve themselves of responsibility. Debit cards are another matter because the cardholder can lose all funds tied to the card. The routing and account number printed on old fashioned paper checks is extremely useful to a criminal in possession of other personal information. Exposing those numbers to the many people who will handle a paper check is risky. The high risk is one of the reasons for the more favorable exchange rate when you fund currency exchanges at casas de cambio with paper checks. Good luck.

I like how the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES changed the term "Credit Card Fraud" to "IDENTITY THEFT". Identity theft isn't new... but it used to describe a very specific, very far reaching degree of fraud. NOW they call any run of the mill credit card fraud to THE MUCH MORE SCARY AND THREATENING (to the consumer)... IDENTITY THEFT. A very effective ploy of the spin doctors to reduce the losses to the BANKS. (sorry... veered a bit off topic...)