Wind in Barahona

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hola everyone,
Is the Barahona area windy?
How is it for windsurf - kitesurf over there?
:)

Aug 6, 2006
The wind seems to blow most of the time. Today it is 21 MPH. Just google "Barahona weather".

I have not seen anyone kitesurfing there, but most days, I have seen someone flying one or more kites.

Not being an expert on kitesurfing, I do not know how fast the wind must be for proper kitesurfing. The wind seems to blow rather consistently and from the same direction.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes thats what it looks like. Wind seems to be blowing most of the time over there

The coastline south of Barahona gets the full brunt of the trade winds blowing north of east to south of west at this time of year rather like the east coast either side of Macao and the Cabrera Nagua stretch and near Cabarete amongst others.

Remember the beaches there are largely made of pebbles and there seems no shortage of surf.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I don't know much about kite surfing. But I think the water isn't nearly as calm as cabarete. The views are great. The rivers running into the ocean are a nice place to hang out. But I didn't see people going far into the water because of the undertow.

Aug 6, 2006
I have read that the Barahona Peninsula was not originally a part of Hispaniola: it was a separate island that collided with Hispaniola several million years ago, pushing up the mountains as it did so. The beaches did not develop the same way as the beaches farther east.

Even on a calm day, the ocean at San Rafael and Los Patos is rough. It is hard to remain standing in the surf.

Both beaches are good places to swim because there are freshwater ponds that empty into the ocean, and the rivers have a sandy bottom.