barahona positives - negatives

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hola
What are the pos and neg about living in Barahona?
:)

One negative could be that I have never heard of anyone living there.
(But for some, that could be a positive. )

Other words that come to mind are remote and isolated. Be sure to check on the security of living there as well as the electricity and water supplies as you look further into it. Also be sure anything you purchase has a valid title and this is sometimes very hard to do.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My husband is from Barahona and we have land there and spend a reasonable amount of time there.

Pros:
The most beautiful part of the country
Nice people on the whole
Lack of expats (lol)
Fabulous fish
Poor electricity service

Cons:
Not brilliant medical services and a long way to Santo Domingo
Long way to international airport with planes coming and going (the airport is there but hardly anyone flies there).
Limited shopping, and basic supermarket
Crime is increasing, especially as the area used for drug trafficking more and more.
Can get hit hard by hurricanes
Can also be very very hot

Matilda

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
My husband is from Barahona and we have land there and spend a reasonable amount of time there.

Pros:
The most beautiful part of the country
Nice people on the whole
Lack of expats (lol)
Fabulous fish
Poor electricity service

Cons:
Not brilliant medical services and a long way to Santo Domingo
Long way to international airport with planes coming and going (the airport is there but hardly anyone flies there).
Limited shopping, and basic supermarket
Crime is increasing, especially as the area used for drug trafficking more and more.
Can get hit hard by hurricanes
Can also be very very hot

Matilda

Poor electricity service is a Pro? Am I missing something?

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Put it in the wrong list! Although when all the lights are out the stars look amazing.

Haha...I figured you listed it wrong. And yes, the nights that I have spent on that coast with no electricity...skies are amazing and coupled with ocean sounds and breezes...very pleasantly surreal.

Aug 6, 2006
The beaches are rocky, the ocean is rough. The electricity cuts off even in the downtown area at least three times a week. The water is delivered on a sporadic basis.
There is an "international" airport, but there are no scheduled flights in or out of it. Public transportation within the city is by motoconcho but there are some taxis. After dark, you need to agree on the fare before beginning your trip. There appear to be just two stoplights anyone ever pays attention to.
There are a couple of just average supermarkets downtown. The schools are poorly staffed and tend to take off any conceivable holiday. There is a beach at one end of the Malec?n, and another (Playa Inglesa) on the peninsula that juts out to the right of the sugar mill. The side facing the bay is pleasant, the side facing the ocean was incredibly strewn with trash, though there is some plan to collect all that plastic and recycle it.

The people are friendly. The Malec?n is nice on weekends for people watching, The Parque Central was recently renovated and is much nicer.
There is at least one good bakery. The road to Pedernales is a beautiful drive. I think the cost of living is quite a bit lower than in the rest of the country.
You can find a lot of information at EcosdelSur.net and elbaharonero.bolgspot.com. There are some good youtube videos as well.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
For me it's like stepping back into the DR like it was 10 years ago.

Serious concerns would be:

1. Weather can be very, very warm
2. Infrastructural development is poor (roads/medical/utilities)
3. Increasing drug crime

If you're not from there or do not have ties that benefit the community (charity. church, business) then you must be careful out there...

PS: I've heard that there is one benefit for ladies down there....:)

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
and how was DR 10 years ago and what can you find of it in Barahona now ?
for me it is charming ****hole, with its own beauty and its own problems too (when I was living there 2 years ago I didnt spot too many drug problems killing the society..well, maybe except the fact that I was smoking weed in some hotel in Barahona province, like maybe 30 meters to the police station and nobody seemed to care about it ;-) )
I Love Barahona region for its natural beauty and wilderness - one of my favorite regions in whole country
For me it's like stepping back into the DR like it was 10 years ago.

Serious concerns would be:

1. Weather can be very, very warm
2. Infrastructural development is poor (roads/medical/utilities)
3. Increasing drug crime

If you're not from there or do not have ties that benefit the community (charity. church, business) then you must be careful out there...

PS: I've heard that there is one benefit for ladies down there....:)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
For those asking for reference about 10 years ago.

More laidback
Less organised
Quieter
Slower paced

All good things when you looking for a place to unwind.

The drugs have been a plague to the entire SouthEast, especially since there is limited economic development. It is a poor, hard and unforgiving area.

The natural beauty is there but you have to be prepared more than in tourist areas to enjoy them.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
and modern DR is not laidback and its well organised ? probably not , as you live lifestyle of businessman in Santo Domingo...
For those asking for reference about 10 years ago.

More laidback
Less organised
Quieter
Slower paced

All good things when you looking for a place to unwind.

The drugs have been a plague to the entire SouthEast, especially since there is limited economic development. It is a poor, hard and unforgiving area.

The natural beauty is there but you have to be prepared more than in tourist areas to enjoy them.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
If I were ever to move to Barahona I would not live in the main city, I would rather live in one of the coastal towns and would go to town to shop and do my banking maybe once a week...

Philippeg

Jun 30, 2012
Hello everybody!
Althought I have been reading the forum for some time and I never brought my peace to the puzzle!
Some update needs to be done here about the southwest:
I have been living there for two years there and I must say I never ever had any trouble
with security or ever felt threatened in any way.
Electricity wise, like most of the island we do have some "cuts" but the situation has improved a lot in the last year,
thanks to the wind park wich is about to doble its capacity very soon.
The last hurricane wich" hit hard" here was 20 years ago!!!
In two words: I am quite happy here and do not regreat my choice in anyway, this must be one of the nicest place in the country
if you are not looking for sandy beaches and or expats!

=windeguy;1557044]One negative could be that I have never heard of anyone living there.
(But for some, that could be a positive. )

Other words that come to mind are remote and isolated. Be sure to check on the security of living there as well as the electricity and water supplies as you look further into it. Also be sure anything you purchase has a valid title and this is sometimes very hard to do.[/QUOTE]