Likelihood of Obtaining Visitor Visa To Canada

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
Hey there, i am just curious as to the likelihood of obtaining a visitor visa to canada. I am aware i need to send a letter of invitation and have my spouse fill out the necessary paperwork in Santo Domingo, we are getting married in bavaro in November. and i travel every other month go to down. but i was wondering if anyone had any experience with a visitor visa before i apply for a spouse visa next november. Im hoping it helps that it shows we are getting married and have return tickets and can prove she will be leaving upon the end of the visitor visa. But I know nothing is simple with a Dominican Passport. hopefully someone can enlighten me on this subject

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Unless you can prove that her life is better here than it would be in Canada, you don't have a snowball's chance in he++......

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The fact that you are getting married effectively kills any chance of your wife getting to Canada on a visitor visa; you'd have to go via the family immigration route.

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
I have documents supporting me going to Dominican for 6 months after this summer and return flights and reservations and an apartment im renting. I figured that would help things substantially having proof of both of us leaving. but ya i understand being a dominican national affords you very little rights or credibility in the old immigration world. the states seems so much easier to get sh*t done. i suppose i throw a hundred dollars out the window and see where it takes me on this. says the wait time is only 10 days must only take them 10 days to say no haha. if not ill have to wait for a spousal visa.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Good luck, but look up the new requirements for the invitation letter, there is a lot more things you need to add, like a copy of your birth certificate, and a bunch of other things.....google it and go to the canadian govt web page to see what is actually required .....

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
Ya just had a look just have to add a copy of the birth certificate. just thought id see if anyone else had any luck with this. i really only know one person that was able to bring their bf over for a few different trips. but he worked at the airport so maybe that helped who knows. ill give it a shot. its only a hundy. and 10 days to wait. guess ill roll the dice lol ill let ya know how it goes.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
All you can do is try but knowing that you will be getting married in Nov. will NOT help her. That is the perfect reason for not returning to the DR in their eyes unless she has a really really good job to return to in the DR.

Info on letter of invitation

Good luck

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
Yea i figured i was hoping since we can prove she is going home and i am going with her. and have wedding plans and deposits paid for figured that would help prove we will not be staying in canada. just wanted to get her a visit in before waiting the 14 months its going to take im sure for spouse visa

Ian McClymont

Apr 11, 2015
and the wedding is in Punta Cana and paid for the flights back would all be paid for and everything so figured with proof of that would be sufficient.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To be honest, flights, wedding plans, paid for wedding cake is not really proof of intent to return. I can think of an example of someone who set up a complete business to the tune of many thousands of dollars to facilitate a travel visa. I am sure there have been even more elaborate and costly schemes employed over the years.

For those desperate to trade one country for another, usually cost and complexity of the deception is limited only by ones available resources. This is why other factors are given more weight when making these admissibility decisions than just money and a promise to adhere to the terms of the visa.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
unless she has a house and car in her name and a decent size bank account you got zero chance... does she have any travel history in her passport that could help. otherwise wait till after the wedding

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I wish the best of luck to the op, and fully agree with Cdn_Gringo: It?s best to be patient.

I know of a case where the novia had real-estate in the DR and also decent bank account, was denied twice US-visa (so not CA), due to the fact that her novio totally messed up the interview. I have also heard of a case where they were required to provide photos of the wedding ceremony...

As much transparency as possible should help, and evidence of real motivation to stay in the DR.

I?d advice, that as much as possible, you should only provide documents specifically required by the embassy, as if you provide lots of other documents, to "proof something", I suppose there could be a risk of that falling into "giving explanations" (referring here to your long list of mentioned reservations, advance payments and wedding plans), and not direct and acceptable evidence.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
I have tried this twice in the past and got rejected every time. The people who get their visa are wealthy or government officials. I saw this first hand. This embassy is a **** hole with un helpful people running it who love to be mean, and say NO. Don't waste your time. Go and get married and then apply for a sponsorship.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Most people who qualify started getting visas as children to the states and europe. If your prospective marriage mate has not received one yet it is unlikey that they will until you are married. Best of luck

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have documents supporting me going to Dominican for 6 months after this summer and return flights and reservations and an apartment im renting. I figured that would help things substantially having proof of both of us leaving. but ya i understand being a dominican national affords you very little rights or credibility in the old immigration world. the states seems so much easier to get sh*t done. i suppose i throw a hundred dollars out the window and see where it takes me on this. says the wait time is only 10 days must only take them 10 days to say no haha. if not ill have to wait for a spousal visa.

Canada is a great country,
A human rights museum was build for 36 mil. of taxpayers money.
Canada of course does not discriminate against race, colour, age or religion.

Unless your spouse has real estate in the DR, a good long term job, and substantial savings she will NOT get a TRV.
Being married, a return airline ticket, your investment accounts and real estate holdings are of no interest to Gov.Can. The Canadian Gov. makes it it's business to keep spouses separated and to discriminate against poor spouses. Be thankful that your gc.ca is protrecting the 36 Mil inhabitants of the second largest country from marriage fraud and terrorism.
Your only hope is sponsoring a spouse, if your relationship survives this test it must be LOVE!
It really is pathetic that a married spouse is disallowed to visit a Canadian spouse. Shame on Canada!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Unless your spouse has real estate in the DR, a good long term job, and substantial savings she will NOT get a TRV.
Being married, a return airline ticket, your investment accounts and real estate holdings are of no interest to Gov.Can. The Canadian Gov. makes it it's business to keep spouses separated and to discriminate against poor spouses. Be thankful that your gc.ca is protrecting the 36 Mil inhabitants of the second largest country from marriage fraud and terrorism.
Your only hope is sponsoring a spouse, if your relationship survives this test it must be LOVE!
It really is pathetic that a married spouse is disallowed to visit a Canadian spouse. Shame on Canada!

I think you better wait until you get marry, unless you are 10,000% sure can convince them she will return. Is sad that all Of us Dominicans has to pay the broken dishes just because some peoples made Frauds.

My personal experiemce, im Dominican and got a visa tu visit canada with an invitation letter of my boyfriend in 2012, first i got 6 months visa and when renewed my passport 6 years.

When we apply i sent job letter, at that moment i was working same place for 3 years, some savings in the bank, we was dating for 8 months before we apply for the visa, i also had traveled to Colombia and Mexico before met him. Also we made a trip for 8 days together to Mexico as i have Mexican visa.

We also provide pics of our trip to Mexico and arround Dominican Republic, hotel vouchers in Dominican Rep, Mexico and airlines tickets.

You have to write a very good invitation letter explaining why hou want her visit Canada and a copy of the firts page of your passport and birth certificare.

The most important is that you have a really real relationship, first time I visited Canada they sent me to inmigration for spetial interview and made me lots of cuestions about our relationship and personal and family information of my boyfriend, after all my answers they finally said welcome to Canada and stamped my passport and wrote a date of 6 months ahead of my entry, and yes after 3 years of relationship we are still together boths traveling back and Forth.

I wish you all the best and if you are plan ing to take her to live canada better wait.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The shame is really on Dominicans who failed to return from North America when they were granted visitor's visas. That is why they are very hard to get. I agree that the OP should not waste his time and money trying to get a visitor's visa for his fiance.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The shame is really on Dominicans who failed to return from North America when they were granted visitor's visas. That is why they are very hard to get. I agree that the OP should not waste his time and money trying to get a visitor's visa for his fiance.

Well to comeback is not a shame, if people understand what mean visitor visa, I understand what mean that sentence, go visit enjoy and comeback to your iife in your country, and that is also why all of us are fuc***ed off, because a lot people do not understnd that.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Yea i figured i was hoping since we can prove she is going home and i am going with her. and have wedding plans and deposits paid for figured that would help prove we will not be staying in canada. just wanted to get her a visit in before waiting the 14 months its going to take im sure for spouse visa

It also depends on how you met. You were on holiday in the DR and met her in the resort as she is working there as animation girl?

Most Dominicanas who have a good life in the DR dont want to leave the DR (and wont be interested in a gringo tourist either).

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

This is the same for the US and Europe..

Truth is that I know many scam cases..