Travel Documents needed?

bugs

Jan 2, 2002
Hi, I will be traveling to DR soon and have gotten 3 different answers on the question of children traveling with one parent.
I've called embassies in NY, PA & DC.

One says no special documents are needed.

Another says we need a notarized letter from the parent not going and it must be notorized at a Dominican Embassy w/a $50.00 fee and copies of the parent who is going birth cert. & drivers lic. or passport.

Lastly I was told just a notarized letter will do.

Does anyone have a real answer to this?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
All that is necessary is that you have a document that proves you are the parent of the child. If the child has the same last name as the parent's name stated on the passport, only the passport of the parent and the child should be necessary. You might bring along the birth certificate that also certifies you are the parent, for extra evidence, although it is unlikely this will be requested. As long as one parent travels with the child, there is no problem. If the child's name is different, you will need additional documents that prove you are the parent or legal guardian.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
http://travel.state.gov/dominican_republic.html

"In an effort to prevent international child abduction, the Dominican Republic requires that minors under 13 years of age traveling alone or with anyone other than a parent must present written authorization from a parent or legal guardian. This authorization must be notarized at a Dominican consulate in the United States."

I don't know for sure, and if it is anything like bringing a container into the country, you will never get the same answer twice no matter how many embassies/consulates you call!

Best of luck. I would err on the safe side if at all possible.

marc

Sassy

Jan 1, 2002
still looking for a clear answer

Hello,

I read the information regarding traveling with minors and am still unclear about one thing. I am traveling with my 17 year old daughter....I have not had contact with her father for 14 years....because she is under 18 do I need a notarized letter from him giving me permission to take her out of the states...Or because I am one of her natural parents do I just need an official copy of her birth certificate? .......and no notarized letter from her father ( I mean sperm donor... ;-P)

I guess I understood the law as if a child is 15 or older and traveling with at least one natural parent then only a birth certificate and photo ID is needed with no notarized letter necessary....

anyone know?