Decent furniture store.

I have been looking for dressers for my bedroom and a few other things for a while. They are eithe very cheaply made which will not do by the ocean told they are way too expensive bc I live on the NC I guess and still not that great.

I usually get my furniture at Price Smart but who knows when a almost full bedroom set will be in the store and te stuff online is too expensive

So can anyone recommend a furniture place in Santiago that has good stuff for not a crazy amount of money

IKEA is out of the question as that si the reason I need new things :). Also not plaza lama

I don't mind spending a few thosand but not crazy amounts.

Aug 21, 2007
There is a new furniture store in Santiago. I think it is called Home Gallery. It is on the intersection with Burger King. Coming from Licey, it will be on your left at the light where you turn to go to PriceSmart. (Sorry for giving directions like a woman...)

Casa Mobil (Avenida Monumental Km 1.5 Autopista Duarte....can't give womanized directions here, as each time I go there, I get lost) also has nice furniture and a decent selection.

Altri Tempi has a small selection and is expensive. Their main store is in Santo Domingo.

I think those are your choices for Santiago, aside from the traditional large wood pieces that are typically Dominican.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The American Furniture store just outside of Sosua going to Cabarete has been closing for a while now and had a few pieces left on sale when I was last there a month ago. They may have a dresser there. We bought most of the furniture for our house there. The quality is high and the price acceptable if you can get it on sale / half price.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I needed a pantry cupboard for the kitchen and bookshelves I couldn't find anything in Sosua or Puerto Plata. I ended up having the furniture made in a shop in Sosua just past Terramar.

If you are interested in pursuing this option, let me know and I can send you a phone number for you to make contact. Decent quality, no press-board and a reasonable price.

Aug 21, 2007
When I needed a pantry cupboard for the kitchen and bookshelves I couldn't find anything in Sosua or Puerto Plata. I ended up having the furniture made in a shop in Sosua just past Terramar.

If you are interested in pursuing this option, let me know and I can send you a phone number for you to make contact. Decent quality, no press-board and a reasonable price.

There is an ebanista in Sosua Abajo next to the Iglesia Buen Samaritana who is very good. He made cupboards (a bookshelf with doors, really) for my foundation. The work was professional. The price was good. And it was completed and delivered on time.
I later went back with a photo and asked if he could give me a quote for a simple desk. The price was sky high. I could have bought it from Amazon and shipped it here cheaper. He didn't seem in the mood to negotiate, so he lost the second bit of business.
If you have a photo of what you want, it might be worth a try to get a quote. Perhaps on the day that you speak with him, he will be hungry and give you a reasonable quote.

Lindsey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Muebles y Rattan in Sosua does very good and reasonable work. They made all our furniture to our specifications. Yvonne has many design books and catalogs to choose from as well as designing furniture from a magazine or catalog picture of your own.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its the big place on the north of the road.... large windows..... usually a fruit/veg truck across the street
West of the German Butcher as I recall....

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I have been looking for dressers for my bedroom and a few other things for a while. They are eithe very cheaply made which will not do by the ocean told they are way too expensive bc I live on the NC I guess and still not that great.

I usually get my furniture at Price Smart but who knows when a almost full bedroom set will be in the store and te stuff online is too expensive

So can anyone recommend a furniture place in Santiago that has good stuff for not a crazy amount of money

IKEA is out of the question as that si the reason I need new things :). Also not plaza lama

I don't mind spending a few thosand but not crazy amounts.

If you need a good wood bedroom set expect to pay for it. We bought ours (classic Caoba fourposter bed, two nighttables and the boxspring matresses) for around 30K DOP around 5 years back.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If you need a good wood bedroom set expect to pay for it. We bought ours (classic Caoba fourposter bed, two nighttables and the boxspring matresses) for around 30K DOP around 5 years back.

That actually doesn't sound bad for real craftsmanship. How do they construct their joints? mortise and tenon?
100% mahogany?

And I've always wondered, are there any antique stores on the island? Do Dominican's get into that at all?
Any antique nuts on DR1? (response expected from cc on that one)

Aug 6, 2006
$30K DOP is about $700 US that sounds like a real steal. Especially if it is made of actual wood, as opposed to "processed wood solids" which means sawdust pressed together with epoxy. Such items tend to turn to something resembling oatmeal when exposed to moisture.

I still have yet to see even one furniture store in Miami that does not have a SALE! SALE! sign in the window.