Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Dual Account Possible: Foreigner plus National??

Soon, when I visit Banco Popular, I will know the answer to my question. But I thought I could get a quicker response from the collective brain of dr1forums.

I, a foreigner with a passport, and my girlfriend, a native with cedula, wish to open a joint account at Banco Popular.

Is this possible?

I have checked the aforementioned website and Banco Popular does offer a free on-line account, Cuenta Digital. When I checked that application, it did offer the choice of EITHER cedula OR passport.

But how about a joint account with a passport AND a cedula?

If the above is a go, any advice on transferring money from a foreign account, i.e., from my bank account in the U.S., Wells Fargo, to Banco Popular? As I recollect, wire transfers are very expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Banco Popular account as a resident foreigner (with cÚdula) and a national.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Have checking account.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

OP response and update. Ah, nice, so you have that account. No problem there.

I just investigated my account, Wells Fargo, and they do not accept Banco Popular for international transfers. But they do accept BanReservas! However, my girlfriend can only accept the money en efectivo at BanReservas. I'll find out if she needs to open an account to do that. Nice thing is that Wells Fargo's fees for this transfer service are very low -- MUCH better than Western Union. For example, if I send $300.00 U.S., my fee is only $5.00 U.S. Don't know if there's another fee on the BanReservas end for her . . .

So, I'm thinking, the best thing to do is for us to open a joint BancoPopular account. Then, she can just pick up her money from BanReservas and deposit it to Banco Popular . . .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a US $ account with Banco Popular and a RD peso account with them, both were opened in my name but with my Dominican wife's signature as equal authority to use them.
    I am not a US citizen but a Brit if I were you I would contact HiFX. co.uk and ask them how they advise what the best way to transfer money is. I have used them for over 15 years now and always found them dead straight and helpful.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, our accounts were opened with my American passport and Mr. AE's cedula at BHD.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You can, she can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas61 View Post
    ...my girlfriend can (...) just pick up her money from BanReservas and deposit it to. . .
    .... her chulo's account...

Girlfriend + joint account = not recommended anywhere;
    Dominican girlfriend + joint account = never recommended;
    Wife + joint account = hmm, why not?
    Dominican wife + joint account = always risky, but after 10 years of marriage it's an option (see posts #5 and 6).

donP

8. Likes ju10prd, granca, tommeyers, markryan liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    .... her chulo's account...

Girlfriend + joint account = not recommended anywhere;
    Dominican girlfriend + joint account = never recommended;
    Wife + joint account = hmm, why not?
    Dominican wife + joint account = always risky, but after 10 years of marriage it's an option (see posts #5 and 6).

donP
    "Chulo"?? Yeah, I know that's supposed to be me. Translate please.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Open an account in the states. Get two ATM cards, give her one. Put money in that account as needed. She pulls the money here with the ATM card you gave her.

The day it goes sour, tell the bank you lost the card (hers) 10 seconds later, it doesn't work anymore. Simple, effective.
    "Open an account in the states"? Are you crazy? I never go there, except for vacation, a few weeks per year.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Banco Popular in Sosua emptied my debit card. No one else knew the pin. It was not used in the atm. Money was taken according to my US bank by a person in New Delhi, India. No thief better than a Dominican thief. Good old US bank made it good. I beleive that it was collusion between a person working in the bank and New Delhi. No problem having two on a single account. Hopefully your relationship will not go sour. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast