Unable to Access Money From ATMs in Sosua.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I've tried accessing money from three or four different ATMs this week, and each one says it is either "out of service"or "unable to process my transaction." One of the machines I've used regularly in the past. I contacted my bank and they said the card and account are fine on their end. I don't know what is causing this, but if I'm unable to access money when I need it I don't see how I can continue living here. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Jul 28, 2014
If you are trying the ones on pedro clisante, down closer to Ayuntamiento, they are F^&ked!! Go in the METRO station and use the Scotiabank in there, or Banco Popular by Bailey's

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
If you are trying the ones on pedro clisante, down closer to Ayuntamiento, they are F^&ked!! Go in the METRO station and use the Scotiabank in there, or Banco Popular by Bailey's

I never knew there was a Scotia ATM in the Metro station. This is good news. No foreign fees for me. Thanks!

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I've tried accessing money from three or four different ATMs this week, and each one says it is either "out of service"or "unable to process my transaction." One of the machines I've used regularly in the past. I contacted my bank and they said the card and account are fine on their end. I don't know what is causing this, but if I'm unable to access money when I need it I don't see how I can continue living here. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Don't panic-this happened to me several times in the Capital. Could not pull money off my international card at all the ATM's. It is a problem with the DR ATM systems link to the external network for verification. It usually resolves itself in a few days.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Like Jimmythegreek said.
Try again in a day or two. It might resolve itself. This happened to me before in DR.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
You can walk into just about any bank with your credit card and passport and take out several thousand dollars at a time.

Frank

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh atm is out of funds/broken... and then try borrowing 50$us from a gringo... always have a piece of collateral...

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
The Scotia ATM in the Metro office will charge you fees the like any other ATM in Sosua, but you can claim them back at your local branch in Canada up to $50 per year. This was what I was told a couple of years ago, not sure if it is current info. The Main branch in Pto Pta was not charging a fee when I used it last year.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I had the same problem about three weeks ago, when I went into Progreso Bank they told me the international lines were down. As I was down to 100 peso I had to return with my CC and two pieces of picture ID.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The Scotia ATM in the Metro office will charge you fees the like any other ATM in Sosua, but you can claim them back at your local branch in Canada up to $50 per year. This was what I was told a couple of years ago, not sure if it is current info. The Main branch in Pto Pta was not charging a fee when I used it last year.

Not if you are a Scotia client.
To the OP, happened to me as well at Banco Santa Cruz and the Scotia ATM at Metro.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Are these ATMs associated with a bank? The ones you are using if empty of cash will not process your request? Isn't there a bank with an ATM you can use?

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Not if you are a Scotia client.
To the OP, happened to me as well at Banco Santa Cruz and the Scotia ATM at Metro.

Same if you are a Bank of America client from what I was told. They are apparently partners. I also noticed the withdrawal limit is higher at Scotia (based on usage in Cabarete).

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Funny enough, now it turns out that I can't get money on my card again. This time at Banreservas-Agora Mall. Tried to withdrawal RD$2000 and the screen just froze up, so I cancelled the transaction. All the times this problem has happened, it is always on the weekend-always. Is it too expensive for them to run the external link to these machines on the weekend? What is the story already?