A Cautionary Tale

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I get ready to leave in a few days, my memory bank is running amok ....

This thread was posted by me with some grief 3 years ago, but as I review it, it may hold some advice for those newer here.

We were establishing our dogs... some from here and one imported.

My wife was adamant when we were leaving about putting the dogs' collars on.

The respondents Acira and BelgianK are serious dog people and offer the advice NOT to use collars when dogs are alone.
These two imported 9 dogs (I think) from Belgium - taking more than 1 trip to do so

anyway, it may be of use to someone.....

and thanks again to all who commiserated.........

http://dr1.com/forums/living/116105-sad-dog-story.html

Aug 21, 2007
I remember the original post and think of that horror now and then. Your reposting is a good reminder to many. Safe travels. Enjoy your other paradise, but come back soon!

Lindsey

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Sad story.....

As far as dog collars are concerned.....well I dont know....
My eldest dog is a mean, mean dog......only hears the commands he wants, selective hearing..:laugh:. Anyway, he doesnt like collars ( well he does know that I am here full time ), presumably he understands that he will be tied up..... He can get out of any collar/harness, I should rename him houdini ( it saved my bacon, once, before my conuco was properly fenced off, 2 "wolfs" got in and stalked me, my machete was 10 m away. Remedio got out of his collar that was chained up and sent the intruders into a hastly retreat ).

My rottie goes into "aggressive " mode when I take his collar off..... no idea why..... (not with me, but with the rest of the world ). So I take it off at night and put it back on in the morning.

I didnt really understand the comment about intruders, dogs and collars.
One would have to shoot the mutt first, before putting hands on the collar.
As for "hooking " it....... very delicate manoeuver. The dogs could yank anything out of my hands if they wanted......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sad story.....

As far as dog collars are concerned.....well I dont know....
My eldest dog is a mean, mean dog......only hears the commands he wants, selective hearing..:laugh:. Anyway, he doesnt like collars ( well he does know that I am here full time ), presumably he understands that he will be tied up..... He can get out of any collar/harness, I should rename him houdini ( it saved my bacon, once, before my conuco was properly fenced off, 2 "wolfs" got in and stalked me, my machete was 10 m away. Remedio got out of his collar that was chained up and sent the intruders into a hastly retreat ).

My rottie goes into "aggressive " mode when I take his collar off..... no idea why..... (not with me, but with the rest of the world ). So I take it off at night and put it back on in the morning.

I didnt really understand the comment about intruders, dogs and collars.
One would have to shoot the mutt first, before putting hands on the collar.
As for "hooking " it....... very delicate manoeuver. The dogs could yank anything out of my hands if they wanted......

We have a "Houdini" too, and that's exactly what Mr. AE calls her. Our female rottie came to live with us Jan 2014, after beginning her life in Santo Domingo with my mother-in-law, who couldn't control her when she got to be about 7-8 months old. She then spent about 3 years in the mountains of Ocoa at BIL's finca. She likes to kill other animals, so they did their best to keep her tied up most of the time. Finca sold, she comes to us.

We tried everything when she got here, because we were afraid she'd run away from her new environment. Every collar known to man and woman. She escaped. We even bought a halter type, the ones that go under the belly too, we were sure that would do it. Nope. First time she got away from that one she killed a pig. Since she came to us in heat, and we didn't realize, she got pregnant the first day here. Soon as the puppies were born, we started to let her have the run of the finca. Fabulous watch dog, except she barks a lot more than the male does. He tends to wait and watch what's happening before getting involved.

Nowadays, when we have company who are terrified of two big rotties running around, we still have to tie her up sometimes. Sometimes she is in a mellow mood and cooperates, other days she's Houdini personified.

She still is ferocious with other animals [not dogs though]. Since January she's killed a neighbors pig who wandered in under the fence, a few chickens, a guinea hen and a cat. Went after a cow, but Mr. AE happened to be right there and she backed off. Once they're dead, she sits herself down in front of them and guards her prey, and it's a nightmare to distract her away from them.

We brought one of last year's litter back to NJ with us. Daughter is a chip off the old block. Huge like her father, but otherwise just like her mom. She's living with an animal loving family [4 other dogs, many cats, a bunny and a bunch of birds] all these months that we're gone, and yesterday I received a FB message telling me that Lily came into the house with something in her mouth that turned out to be a baby squirrel. Later that day she proudly presented them with another one. Sigh.

PS. Neither of them wears a collar unless we're tying them up. The one in NJ has a collar on all the time, and a giant pinch collar goes on when she's going for a walk.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I never tie the dogs up.
If I have visitors, each dog has a house. Concrete block construction, metal bar doors. Just point towards the dog house, and in they go.....
The dogs eat in their assigned house.
The bardoors are latch closed, the "houdini" nudges the latch up and then uses its paws and head to push it on the slide !!!! So a padlock is eeded when visitors.....lol
So maybe I should lose the collars ??? Since they serve no purpose. I rarely walk them now, they enjoy free roaming on the land......

After having lost our beloved Simba in december, we deceided ( well my wife did :laugh: ) on a new pup.
The sister of my rottie had a litter on a nearby ranch.......
Well, I have never seen such a skinny mother rottie.......and such flea bitten pups....... heartbreaking......
I should have known since when the guy came round ( a local politician ) and saw my rottie ( the brother of his ), he went "Holy cow !!, It must be a 100 lb "......
So yesterday and today is cleaning up time for the 2 pups.
When I " talced" ( as in baby talc ), with that bayer brand, hundreds of fleas fell off !!!!!
They ate like 10....... finished their plates off and wandered outside to get more out of the big rotties plate...... who just sat and watched them with his ears pricked up ( thankfully.....).
Also, the guy told us they were 6 weeks....but they are still rat size and clumsy......so I doubt it.
My wife is depressed......we had a great experience with Simba, who we got from Matilda as a pup.
This is a world apart.......shameful how some people treat their dogs....

=

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they separate them too early here

we had a kitten who suckled herself on her own nipple , she was desperate.

My friend had a dog who tried the jump the fence.... caught the collar ...... dead, hanging on the fence

no collars unless going for a walk or being controlled, is my thinking.

luckily, I don't have any aggressive behavior.

My big dog - 125lbs -- 50% Cane Corso, 25% Boxer, 25% Buldog -- called a Bandog breed
sits and watches.... rarely barks
what happens on the next property is of no interest to him.... on his property.... br careful

You really need a good barker - an 'alerting' dog to wake you up... a yapper

the best watchdogs rarely bark.........they're attackers
good attackers don't give warning - they just strike

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Lol.
I had that "problem" years ago.....dog killing chicken.
The one and only time a neighbour complained, I said, look here, see that barbed wire fence and malla (??) hedge ???
Well one on one side is my land. The dogs cant get out. Anything that comes in is fair game.......
And my wife added that if anything ever happened to the dog, HE would be held accountable...... ( nosotros no somos penderos, para na y para nadie......).
Yes, yes, even dark dominicanos can go pale.....:laugh:

But we are cool and reasonable people, if I catch a rooster before the dogs, I chuck him over the fence.....
I even saved a dog a couple of months ago......it came in to get MY chicken..... my dogs were taking chunks of meat off the poor intruder. Called my dogs to heel and it scuttled off under the barbed wire, maiming itself a bit more in the process......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After two chickens were killed, my campesino neighbor and friend came over and mentioned the dead chickens. He said dogs that kill chickens don't last long in the campo. I got the hint.

When our rottie killed the neighbor's pig, he yelled [from outside] that our dog had come there and killed the pig. Mr. AE called him a liar and said she killed the pig right under our bedroom window [it was 7 am, it woke us up squealing]. Neighbor said "Dogs who kill pigs should be poisoned". I thought he was going to strangle the guy [who now keeps them penned up], so I suggested he pay the guy for the pig just to keep peace and keep our dog alive. He grumbled, paid the guy, and said if any more come on to our property it's on him.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
We have 4 dogs at our rural property. They kill anything that encroaches on their territory, unfortunately a drunken neighbor shot one in the face and another was poisoned. A culture can be defined in how they treat animals, the RD speaks for itself. Im in Calgary Canada for a week for work. The economy is in precarious shape but I love how they treat animals. You wont believe how many couples are out walking multiple dogs every single night.