Santo Domingo Airport to Sosúa

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Alright, so my family never comes and visits me 'cause it's just too damn expensive to fly into POP (Or, they don't like me). Spirit (I know) has pretty quick and cheap flights from MSP to SDQ, I just need to get them from the airport to Sosua.

CaribeExpress has buses that leave from Santo Domingo hourly to Sosua, and an express that leaves 3 times a day. What I am having trouble with is the airport to the bus station. On their website, it says they have an airport bus station, but I am unable to select an itinerary from the airport to Sosua. I can from Santo Domingo to Sosua though.

Can all ya all help me out. This is what I need:

Step by step instructions from the airport to Sosua!

How to you get from the airport to the bus station?
How do you know what bus to get on?
Are there any transfers at all, if so, how and where?
Where does the bus stop in Sosua (Los Charimicos, right?)
How long does it take, what time should I pick them up?

And, the process in reverse.

Thanks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Actually there is NO Caribe Tours bus station at the airport. There is a remote bus depot a five minute drive from the airport but that bus depot is for trips to Samana.

The easiest and best way to get from SDQ airport to Caribe Tours bus depot in Santo Domingo centro is to take a taxi. The going rate is $40 USD. The bus ride from Santo Domingo to Sosua is about 4 hours, a little less if you take the express bus which bypasses Santiago.

Yes, Caribe Tours stops in Los Charimicos. Another option is to take Metro bus which stops in Sosua.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Its almost more expensive than the flight ticket... :)

How do ya figure?

MSP to SDQ via Spirit $427rt (November)
Taxi to bus station $80rt
CaribeExpress to Sosua $15rt

Total for a group of 5 is $2,290

Using the same dates:

MSP to STI on delta (cheapest) $680
Gas money (me) $100rt

Total for five people is: $3,500

MSP to POP on American: $749
Transportation $0, close enough to home.

Total for five people $3745

And... The SDQ trip via Spirit actually takes less total travel time than flying to Santo Domingo and taking the bus. Also, I don't have to drive any farther than Los Charimicos to pick people up.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are better off flying into SDQ with that math. Out of the last 10 trips I flew 4 into SDQ, 4 into STI and 2 into POP. Our home is in Sosua so obviously I prefer POP but the price difference is just way too much. Price matters.

It is really very simple. At SDQ, go outside and the taxis will be waiting, agree on the price first, it's $35 or $40 and then off to Caribe Tours or Metro. I suggest they refresh with a slice of pizza, beer or soda and snack and hit the bathroom at SDQ to begin the journey.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How to you get from the airport to the bus station? TAXI
How do you know what bus to get on? CARIBE OR METRO
Are there any transfers at all, if so, how and where? DIRECTLY TO SOSUA
Where does the bus stop in Sosua (Los Charimicos, right?) CARIBE IN LOS CHARAMICOS, METRO AT BIG TEXACO STATION
How long does it take, what time should I pick them up? WHOLE TRIP WILL BE MINIMUM 7 HOURS

few explanations:
there is really no cheap way of getting from airport to town. certainly not for a bunch of confused gringos with luggage. taxi is the only option here. someone will help you with a price but i expect 1500 pesos?
you can go to sosua on caribe or metro autobus. both have direct buses to sosua. metro is only 3 times a day (7 am, 11 am, 4 pm). caribe is every hour on an hour, last bus at 7 pm.
the time of the trip largely depends on the circumstances. say, they arrive at noon. about 30 min for the luggage and immigration. about one hour drive to caribe (depends on traffic). bus at 2 pm. about 5 hour ride to sosua, arrival around 7 pm. if they miss the bus because of traffic or delay at airport or if there is heavy traffic you need to add one hour, of course.

on the way back you need to do reverse, allowing estimated arrival to the airport minimum 3 hours before the flight. it leaves room for error (accident, huelga, funeral, traffic jam) and time to pass immigration (there are issues with their new electronic system).

a good alternative would be to get someone like derfish to haul the people back and forth. more pricey but overall faster, safer and less confusing, especially to those who do not speak spanish. personally i would drive myself for my family because it's a given they would be lost and that would also be cheaper than renting another driver. plus one can do some shopping in SD.

Aug 6, 2006
When you get to through customs at SDQ, go upstairs to the top floor.
Ask one of the guys in a yellow shirt how much to take you to the highway. The usual rate is $300 pesos.
A cab will pick you up. Once you get in the cab, ask how much to go to the bus station of your choice. Something like $1500 pesos would be a pretty good deal.
If you go to the highway, a bus can take you to a station just over the bridge. There are buses every 10 minutes or so, different companies. The bigger the bus the more comfortable. This will cost perhaps $60 pesos, perhaps more if you have a lot of luggage. From there a cab will take you to the Caribe tours section
for $160-$200 pesos.

It will take about three times longer to get to the Caribetours station if you take the guagua. The Caribetours schedule is on the Internet, with fares. You can get a good exchange rate at the bank at the station.

The money exchange OUTSIDE customs has better rates than those inside at SDQ. Change no more than you need. Change the rest at the bus station.
The Metro schedule is also online, but I have not taken this, as it does not go where I go.

Aug 6, 2006
No, if I were traveling with a family, I would take the cab, of course, because it would be more cost effective and certainly more comfortable. But from the upper deck, it would likely be cheaper.
I think that there is ample bargaining room for fares from the airport. I always try to know exactly what I will be paying for a cab ride before I start out.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Just giving this thread a bump and am asking if any new options from the last post in 2015 from the airport to the bus station since Uber came on the scene ?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Interestingly not much changed since 2015, as far as I know.... !

We need a clever entrepreneur to come up with a nice clean/AC/modern minibus shuttle service that goes on time and reasonably priced, between SDQ and Punta Cana airports and the north coast - it will make a killing, if the taxi mafia don't kill it first... !?

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Anyone recently take a taxi or Uber from the airport to the bus terminal can give an update on pricing

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Anyone recently take a taxi or Uber from the airport to the bus terminal can give an update on pricing

You can reserve a "yellow shirt" airport taxi online for $33 USD.

Uber, if you are lucky enough to get one, my guess 1,000 pesos or a little less.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I was through there a year ago (in Jan).

I was offered a taxi 4 times, starting in the luggage area.
I kept saying no.

As I got closed to the front outside door.... the price kept dropping.

Once outside... The Yellow Shirt offered me a price.
I said no and walked just a couple of steps... the price dropped.

Then I said yes.
I paid $25 plus tip, to the Caribitor Bus Terminal
Your a Family... I was alone
You'll have Luggage... I didn't
that all costs more

This was all done in English.

At the terminal.. I first changed $100, it's on the right (they gave a good rate there).
I then bought my ticket (they only take Pesos)

Now is when Spanish would be handy.
Trying to read the ticket and figure which departure bay, your bus is waiting at.
Luckily, it is usually the first Bay.
Ask the driver.... Sosua ? ?
I found that the buses don't leave on time.... more like when they're full.

One of you, has to put the luggage under the bus and get Luggage Tags

They have WiFi on the Bus (if it's working) so they can let you know they are on the bus and when they hope to arrive.

There are 2 stops in Santiago. You can get off at the second stop and P, but be quick.
Good luck

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
".............

I paid $25 plus tip, to the Caribitor.......

There are 2 stops in Santiago. You can get off at the second stop and P, but be quick.
Good luck

I believe Caribe Tours also has several buses a day departing from Santo Domingo that bypass Santiago. They take the new(er) toll road that loops around the city and saves you an hour or so.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
You can reserve a "yellow shirt" airport taxi online for $33 USD.

Uber, if you are lucky enough to get one, my guess 1,000 pesos or a little less.

Great info thank you. Do you have a link for the "yellow shirt" airport taxis ?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Alright, so my family never comes and visits me 'cause it's just too damn expensive to fly into POP (Or, they don't like me). Spirit (I know) has pretty quick and cheap flights from MSP to SDQ, I just need to get them from the airport to Sosua.

CaribeExpress has buses that leave from Santo Domingo hourly to Sosua, and an express that leaves 3 times a day. What I am having trouble with is the airport to the bus station. On their website, it says they have an airport bus station, but I am unable to select an itinerary from the airport to Sosua. I can from Santo Domingo to Sosua though.

Can all ya all help me out. This is what I need:

Step by step instructions from the airport to Sosua!

How to you get from the airport to the bus station?
How do you know what bus to get on?
Are there any transfers at all, if so, how and where?
Where does the bus stop in Sosua (Los Charimicos, right?)
How long does it take, what time should I pick them up?

And, the process in reverse.

Thanks!

You may be talking about the small bus station which is at the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway. This is about 15 minutes from the Airport. You would need to take a taxi, which would probably cost about $12-15usd. From there you can probably pick up a Caribe Express to Sosua. You need to CALL the bus company in SD and ask the questions that you have listed above. They should be able to give you all the information.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You may be talking about the small bus station which is at the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway. This is about 15 minutes from the Airport. You would need to take a taxi, which would probably cost about $12-15usd. From there you can probably pick up a Caribe Express to Sosua. You need to CALL the bus company in SD and ask the questions that you have listed above. They should be able to give you all the information.

drSix, ignore this information as there is NO bus at the Caribe Tours SD satellite bus depot going to Sosua. You will need to come into town to get either Metro or Caribe Tours to Sosua.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you considered renting a vehicle and picking them up?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.