House and pool eletrical costs

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
How much, as an average, is the monthly electrical costs to maintain a pool, medium size with a small jacuzzi at one end ? Based on the minium of hours per day for the filter to run.

Also, what are the minimum of hours per day for the filter to be On for the pool to stay clean ? And is the maintenance of the pool as to be daily or weekly ?? What about the costs for the maintenance products ? And is it cheaper to have a company do the maintenance ??

The reason I ask is I want to rent a house in Sabaneta with a pool and want to get an idea of my future electric bills for each month. Also, if I have a desk computer always plugged into a 1.0Kw inversor, does that increase my electricity cost by much ?? There is also A/Cs in the bedrooms but we have no intention of using them. To mention, the house has 6 bedrooms with 6 bathrooms within the rooms, we will be 3 adults living there. We will have 2 fridges, 2 TV, 4 computers, 1 microwave, etc...

Any other costly surprises anyone can tell me about ? Thank you for your promptly response since I have to sign the lease tomorrow.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'm not the best at keeping up with my pool maintenance, so I will do my best.

I have a 5 bed room house with a (I think) 25,000 gallon pool. We have 4 A/Cs, old ones. They are only run when it is HOT in Sept./Oct. My pool pump probably runs about 30 hours a week. When we are not using A/C, my electric bill is RD$11-13k. When using AC's, RD$20-25k per month.

Every week you'll need 3lbs or Chloro, RD$300, algaecide RD$350, and a bottle of acido $RD150.

If I were to guess, and I am, my pool costs me about $200 a month in electricity and chemicals.

Things that will kill your electric bill:

Electric water heater- put it on a timer, turn down the heat
Pool pump- put it on a timer, keep the chemicals up, skim your pool, and invest in a solar one
Fridges- If your not using it, unplug it. Know what you want before you open the door. Make sure the seals are clean.
AC's- Buy inverter style, make sure it is big enough for the room, and only use for a couple hours in the evening to cool the room
Inversor- Make sure the batteries are new, and well maintained. Also, the lines are the correct gauge

Not sure what your company charges, my pool guy/ gardener makes RD$500 per 8 hour day and works 2 days a week.

There is a lot of information on pool maintenance on the web, but any gardener worth his salt should know how to keep it clean.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Side note:

Now that I know we are staying longer... term, I making some changes.

As stated my electric bill is anywhere from RD$11,000 to RD$25,000. In the next six months I am going to be:

Replacing all the light bulbs with LED bulbs
Putting up a cloths line
Putting a timer on the hot water heater
I purchased a solar pool pump and chlorine generator
Buying three inverter style A/C's

I hope I get some good results. I am also considering getting rid of my inverter and just getting a generator. With how infrequently I loose power, it may not be worth the the extra cost and maintenance. Plus a gen would last me longer in an emergency

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
No, it is not heated. And, it gets cold in the winter. For me, unusable from December to March.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Fearing the Bill

Any other costly surprises anyone can tell me about ? Thank you for your promptly response since I have to sign the lease tomorrow.

I am glad, you can afford such a fairly large house. :classic:
So, I guess you need not struggle with a rather high electricity bill.

The pool pumps are your worst consumers and maybe the fridges (depending on their wattage).

Our pool has about 120 cubicmetres and we used to run the 2 pool pumps (1.5 and 3/4 HP) for 2 hrs. a day (when the genarator was on).
Now we have solar panels, everything changed (to the better).

I'll wait with further comments until you have signed your lease contract... ;)

donP

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
drSix -- have you ever considered Solar HW ? maybe a thought. I saw someone in Cabarete sell a passive unit, and the condition was you had to dismantle & remove. Inverter A/c's will help a lot, I brought 3 DAIKIN Inverter 18 SEER units in and really not only quiet but really no real expense to run.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I estimate the pool pump to consume, maybe, 1000 pesos a month maybe a bit more.
2 hours a day, an xtra hour every 2 or 3 days for vacuming. Note that in the campo ( dust, leaves.....), that will not keep ure pool water cristal clear, but clean enough.
Consumables : I use 3 gallons of alguicide, 2 of acido muriatico, 20 big chlorine pastels, maybe 4 lb of cloro powder......all relatively cheap.
Oh and half a bottle of " cristal clear" liquid gel ( 800 pesos the bottle !!But worth it ).

Its not the cost thats annoying,but more the time spent cleaning, ,vacuming, scrubbing, sweeping, painting.......

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If you don't use it, simply shut the pump off until you are ready to use it, dump it, water is not metered, then start using it after it refills and warms up.

I don't use it, but the kids do. I've noticed that far less pump time and chemicals are needed in the winter

drSix -- have you ever considered Solar HW ? maybe a thought. I saw someone in Cabarete sell a passive unit, and the condition was you had to dismantle & remove. Inverter A/c's will help a lot, I brought 3 DAIKIN Inverter 18 SEER units in and really not only quiet but really no real expense to run.

Yea, Solar would be nice, but I am in a rental, so I am trying to only do things I can take with. The solar pool pump and generator are the floating, in pool kind, not sure if they will work. And, I can take my new AC's when I move.

That is a nasty luz bill!
The led lights are the way to go but will not change the consumption much over compact fluorescents.
Solar pump is great! I will do the same thing soon.
Replace the hot water to solar or propane.
Chlorine generator uses electricity too but no more buying chlorine and that out weighs the power it uses.
Skip the AC, crank the fans.

Must have AC when hot. I couldn't live here if I couldn't have the AC at night in Sept. and Oct. To me, that is like trying to save money by turning the furnace off in MN in January. Not an option!

Also going to have an electrician come and do an assessment and check the wiring. I've never seen a bill lower than RD11k, and my highest was RD$28000 last November. We haven't turned on the AC's since the end of November, and it is still high.

OP, sorry I hijacked your thread.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Side note:

Now that I know we are staying longer... term, I making some changes.

Putting a timer on the hot water heater

You should seriously consider an on-demand propane hot water heater. We have two of them, one for bathroom, one for the kitchen sink. They use NO electricity, 2 D Batteries provide the spark. Use very little gas too. Best part is that it is passive, just sits there until you turn on the water, and voila! ...hot water instantly. The kitchen one is hooked into the propane tank for the stove, and the bathroom one has a half-size tank that we haven't refilled in about 12 months of usage.

We brought ours from US, but they sell them in the big ferreterias too, not expensive.

Cresp when you live here in the hottest months you will know why we use AC!! Try a 2 month sept- oct vacay!!

OP have you asked the people who have lived in the house to see a Luz bill? Does the house have a meter? Just asking bc I know quite a few in Sabaneta and my area who don't have meters yet. :).

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Anything running on 220 (or thereabouts) will be your most expensive..Hot water heater /AC units/ Pool pump..Refrigerators are generally not big consumers of electricity..Most have between a 3.5 and 7 amp compressor motor..If maintained well with good seals and are not ancient..about 350 450 KW hours per year..There is a lot of debate on the whole hot water heater thing..shutting off when not needed etc..I don't and still have a reasonable electric bill..$1800RD in winter TO $4000 RD plus in warmer months..( don't have our own pool..lucky enough to have a well maintained ..little used huge pool in our community.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
nobody can aswer this post effectively.... too many variables at work

I'm sure you're right, but it helped Mr. AE and I to read the answers regarding estimated costs. A pool is on our short list of things to do next year, as soon as our addition is complete.

Since we're only here 4-5 months a year for the foreseeable future, we'll probably drain and cover it when we leave. Anyone see any problem with that?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
never drain it..... people willcleanit

call EcoServe for a pool pump, use your solar setup to run it -- no luz costs

mine is direct - runs in daylight only and all year round....
cleaning mis easy and your water stays clean...

never empty --- repeating that.... cover if you loike but keep it filtering
at no cost , why not?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Draining the Brat Trap

... we'll probably drain and cover it when we leave. Anyone see any problem with that?

Why drain?
It won't freeze up. :cross-eye

Avoiding that all the neighbours use it? :laugh:
Well OK, if some of the brats drown it'll be your fault....
I understand.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here I go helping the person that bans me!!

You NEVER drain a pool and leave it! You can drain to paint, or repair but the pool must be filled again quickly.
Concrete and or fibreglass pools can pop out of the ground from hydrostatic pressure and vinyl liner pools walls will turn in towards the centre of the pool and liner will get damaged.

OUCH, I'm glad I mentioned that, we didn't know. And I never banned you - I gave you a 3 point warning, it takes 10 points to be banned. If you were banned, it was one of my esteemed colleagues. :)

never drain it..... people willcleanit

call EcoServe for a pool pump, use your solar setup to run it -- no luz costs

mine is direct - runs in daylight only and all year round....
cleaning mis easy and your water stays clean...

never empty --- repeating that.... cover if you loike but keep it filtering
at no cost , why not?

This may be the best idea - we're planning on putting the solar panels on the addition we're building, thanks for the heads up. The EcoServe pump is a solar pump I presume? What do they cost?

Why drain?
It won't freeze up. :cross-eye

Avoiding that all the neighbours use it? :laugh:
Well OK, if some of the brats drown it'll be your fault....
I understand.

donP

We were going to drain it because there are SO many kids around here, and didn't want the responsibility of someone sneaking in and drowning. We do live very close to the beach though, so maybe not such a big deal, they'd probably go there [hopefully!], but who knows.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
pump costs depend on pool gallonage... the website or a phone call will put your mind to rest..... not too much $$

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have their filtraion sysytem - UV for the house.

My pool was done before I met them.... I recall a few hundred for the pumps last time I was in the store
my pool is 12-15,000 gal.... 3/4hp , maybe

all solar........no batteries... just sun

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I would have an very trusted electrician thoroughly check the pool wiring for safety and the house electricity for neighbors tapping your line before renting.