Exit Overstay - Nope

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The overstay system appears to be broken in STI.

I was there for 8 months, left 4/19. Charge: 0.

I was prepared to pay, no problem. I would not have offered a bribe and I would have asked for a receipt.

I presented my passport and was directed to the scanner lane for baggage.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
What's this hear through the grapevine that the new law with the new fees was never actually signed into law, and is infact not legal.

I flew out a week ago, of STI, been here for 3 months. Was directed to the pay counter, paid RD$2500, got a receipt.

I'm still not looking forward to this summer when we fly back to the US for a month. My kids have all been here for 2 years, wife, 5 months. Gonna cost me a chunk if they charge me for all the kids.

ray718

May 28, 2010
my whole thing is you either pay the fee or take the necessary steps to become a resident or obtain citizenship. You expats talk about how is crooked and corrupt in DR, but you guys are just as corrupt trying to beat the system for a few dollars.

ray718

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
The overstay system appears to be broken in STI.

I was there for 8 months, left 4/19. Charge: 0.

I was prepared to pay, no problem. I would not have offered a bribe and I would have asked for a receipt.

I presented my passport and was directed to the scanner lane for baggage.

Exact same deal with me at STI. Here for 3 months and was expecting to pay 2500RD. The guy stamped my passport and I waited for a while and finally I said "Ya" and so did he. This is the third year in a row that this has happened. Gracias a dios. One time a few years ago I was directed to the overstay counter and on my way over there to pay another uniformed guy grabbed my arm and took me to go to the scanner line. I couldn't believe what was happening. I normally don't have that kind of luck.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
A few dollars! LOL

Gimme some benefit to becoming a resident, and I'll get right to it.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
my whole thing is you either pay the fee or take the necessary steps to become a resident or obtain citizenship. You expats talk about how is crooked and corrupt in DR, but you guys are just as corrupt trying to beat the system for a few dollars.

ray718

Yes, I think you're justified in your next kidnapping and extortion scheme. Pretty much the same.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm still not looking forward to this summer when we fly back to the US for a month. My kids have all been here for 2 years, wife, 5 months. Gonna cost me a chunk if they charge me for all the kids.

leave the kids behind!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

ray718

You did read an comprehend what I wrote right?! Willing and able to pay, not asked to psy. So who did you indicate with "you guys" and "you expats"?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
A few dollars! LOL

Gimme some benefit to becoming a resident, and I'll get right to it.

Well, one benefit is not having to pay the overstay, lol.

Another might be if you go through the process of becoming a resident, it might make your perspective change somewhat towards being a resident. Having a vested interest in your community goes a long way, regardless of where you are.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Well, one benefit is not having to pay the overstay, lol.

Another might be if you go through the process of becoming a resident, it might make your perspective change somewhat towards being a resident. Having a vested interest in your community goes a long way, regardless of where you are.
How does residency create a vested interest?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
How does residency create a vested interest?

The "vested interest" is the one in your head, Tom. One's perspective can change when they transition from "slow tourism" to actually claiming their neighborhood/town/province/country as their own.

It's the difference between a rent-a-car and your own vehicle. Which one are you more likely to take care of?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One's perspective can change when they transition from "slow tourism" to actually claiming their neighborhood/town/province/country as their own.

i'm a living testament to untruthfulness of this statement. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
None of this means anything. It does not matter what system they have in place, or not. It is still the DR - nothing works as written or maybe expected. Sometimes they do what they "should" and sometimes they don't. It is part of the charm of the place : )

ray718

May 28, 2010
Sorry for the delay

One of the reason you become a resident is to follow the law ( Although, I admit it can be vaguely applied in the DR). I believe you need to establish residence to get health care, a valid driver's license and car insurance, I may be incorrect but it may be need to own or sell property, open a valid business, get a cell phone in your name, turn on the power to house. As the moderator point out, (DR Rob if i am not mistaken) if you are coming to live in the DR, you want to become part of your community. This way you have a say or a reason to complain about taxes and misuse of public funds, high petro prices, lack of customer service, a poor educational system, the sex tourist and working guys and girls. Maybe even run for public office-you can't be president but you can become an elected official. Other than that if you choose not to become a resident-you are a tourist, and get the treatment all tourist get-gringo priced, the need for a return ticket, paying the tourist visa fee. Now, I am not a resident of the DR, but I do plan on becoming a resident of DR in the future. I plan on getting my citizenship, because it's a little easier process, because I get it through birth right. Until I get my citizenship, I am a tourist, and will pay my overstay fee (if I am asked to by the airport official).

Ray718