Allie from Cabarete fundraiser

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A very nice thing for you to post. Hope she comes out ok. My bro in law just got hit at the light in Sosua by another speeding moto. He was taking the two kids to school. Lucky it was only scratches, cuts and bruises. First time it was not his fault. He was sitting at the light. Might have helped if he had rear view mirrors on the moto.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Might have helped if he had rear view mirrors on the moto.

When I do see rear view mirrors on motos they are either pointed at the ground or to the side, or if it is a lady driving, pointed at her face. I don't think they quite get the concept of rear view.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
There's also a guy in Cabarete who is selling homemade sugar free banana breads and monies (or a portion I'm not sure), go to helping Allie. Read about it in FB, 250 pesos each. Arturo Peperya is his name.

May 29, 2006
It seems at least one expat or tourist gets killed or severely injured every year in Cabarete, usually around Janet's. I hear talk about speed bumps..

I hate their speed bumps they are like 5 feet high but it seems it will be the only solution!
Apparently they are puttin lights in on Calle Hon De la Loma and the highway but Motos just will fly right through that I am sure!!
They painted the crosswalk area and now I think it is more dangerous than before bc no one knows that you are supposed to stop for pedestrians!!
I wish they would put a sign up at the airport that pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way. Scares the cr*p outta me watching tourists just walk out on the road!!

May 29, 2006
What's really dumb is when they put the speed bump on just one side of the road. Then you've got motos dodging over into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the bump.

I was in Cabarete for the first time on a Spring Break trip about 15 years ago. We had about three close calls before they figured out that the pedestrians didn't have the right of way. It's easy to be distracted crossing the road and a couple drinks don't help.

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think we will ever see a speed bump on highway 5. i cannot think of any place where there is a speed bump on highway 5 5...except in-between Las Galeras and Samana. Yes, they have small reflectors that protrude out of the ground, but no proper concrete speed bumps. I'm not even sure they would be allowed to put one up?

Frank

I don't think we will ever see a speed bump on highway 5. i cannot think of any place where there is a speed bump on highway 5 5...except in-between Las Galeras and Samana. Yes, they have small reflectors that protrude out of the ground, but no proper concrete speed bumps. I'm not even sure they would be allowed to put one up?

Frank

Ahh yes, I never really noticed that!