Traffic reorganization in Santo Domingo

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Below the article from DR1 News. Let me say something positive about this country. This is really having an effect. The intersections where the U turns are already finished (Kennedy w/ Lincoln, Lope de Vega, Tiradentes) improved a lot. Good thinking.

According to Public Works Minister, Gonzalo Castillo, in less than 45 days the National District (Santo Domingo) will be transformed into a safer and more attractive place when the Ministry completes a major modernization program to improve road traffic.

Castillo said that they are concentrating on this and other city projects to preserve the city's beauty while guaranteeing the safety of its residents.

He said they would be making small changes to certain key roads that have a high impact on traffic. Among the changes is creating U-turns on the most congested roads to reduce traffic jams.

He said that they are working on the intersections at John F. Kennedy with Lopez de Vega, Tiradentes and Ortega and Gasset, and are also planning to create U-turns at the Winston Churchill with Kennedy and on 27 de Febrero with Leopoldo Navarro intersections.

He promised that in 30 or 45 days' time, once the work is finished, the National District would show a major improvement with traffic flowing better and less garbage in the streets.

Obras P?blicas anuncia que desarrabaliza y embellece ?reas del Distrito Nacional - listindiario.com

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Those U-turn spots are good locations for 'carro p?blico' staging areas because two routes intersect (e.g. Churchill & JFK). I wonder how the conchos will use these new improvements...

Below the article from DR1 News. Let me say something positive about this country. This is really having an effect. The intersections where the U turns are already finished (Kennedy w/ Lincoln, Lope de Vega, Tiradentes) improved a lot. Good thinking.

According to Public Works Minister, Gonzalo Castillo, in less than 45 days the National District (Santo Domingo) will be transformed into a safer and more attractive place when the Ministry completes a major modernization program to improve road traffic.

Castillo said that they are concentrating on this and other city projects to preserve the city's beauty while guaranteeing the safety of its residents.

He said they would be making small changes to certain key roads that have a high impact on traffic. Among the changes is creating U-turns on the most congested roads to reduce traffic jams.

He said that they are working on the intersections at John F. Kennedy with Lopez de Vega, Tiradentes and Ortega and Gasset, and are also planning to create U-turns at the Winston Churchill with Kennedy and on 27 de Febrero with Leopoldo Navarro intersections.

He promised that in 30 or 45 days' time, once the work is finished, the National District would show a major improvement with traffic flowing better and less garbage in the streets.

Obras P?blicas anuncia que desarrabaliza y embellece ?reas del Distrito Nacional - listindiario.com

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Those U-turn spots are good locations for 'carro p?blico' staging areas because two routes intersect (e.g. Churchill & JFK). I wonder how the conchos will use these new improvements...
I'm sure they will be used a lot by Carro publicos to turn back before the end of their route and not having to wait for their turn at the official turning point.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Yes, I think so, and unfortunately that will wipe out much of the potential benefit. Of course, it would be very easy to post AMET at each of the u-turn entry points and keep the p?blicos out. That is highly unlikely to happen this close to an election. The concho unions would come out strongly against the PLD or any other party that inconveniences them.

So, this is a much needed and well conceived initiative that will not ultimately benefit the public until and unless the conchos are brought under control. There is a list of similarly well intentioned measures that the conchos have blunted over the years:

- alternating work days according to whether license plate numbers end in odd or even numbers
- prohibitions against leaving pre-established routes while carrying passengers
- no pickup and no drop off zones (e.g. the section of 27 de febrero in front of Plaza Central)
- end the practice of using public streets near their staging areas as open air latrines
- the general concept of traffic laws

I'm sure they will be used a lot by Carro publicos to turn back before the end of their route and not having to wait for their turn at the official turning point.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Transportation Unions "RULE" HERE IN THE DR.
They do as they please, the government is scared "$hitless" of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new underpass' on Kennedy are going to improve an already much improved traffic flow there!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Transportation Unions "RULE" HERE IN THE DR.
They do as they please, the government is scared "$hitless" of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new underpass' on Kennedy are going to improve an already much improved traffic flow there!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Wait....I don't see the sarcasm in your last sentence....what happened???!!!!! Are you sick?:p

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have, over MANY YEARS posted my support for the "Over'Under" passes first started by "Leonel", and now by "Danilo"!!
Best "Bang-For-The-Peso" of ANY public works project the government has EVER completed!!!
They save "Gas", time, and mental distress!!!
They greatly benefit the ENTIRE nation!!!!
The "METRO" on the other hand, was just to get huge "Kick Backs" from the contractors, and equipment vendors, and benefits just a few who live here in SD!!!!
My "Disclaimer" my two sons take the METRO to their Univ. most days.
Finding a parking place is next to impossible there.
Soooooooooooo,..."WE" benefit ftom the Metro.

I DO give credit when it is DESERVED, too bad that is VERY SELDOM!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps, haven't been to te "NEW" El Conuco, but the "Old One" SUCKED!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have, over MANY YEARS posted my support for the "Over'Under" passes first started by "Leonel", and now by "Danilo"!!
Best "Bang-For-The-Peso" of ANY public works project the government has EVER completed!!!
They save "Gas", time, and mental distress!!!
They greatly benefit the ENTIRE nation!!!!
The "METRO" on the other hand, was just to get huge "Kick Backs" from the contractors, and equipment vendors, and benefits just a few who live here in SD!!!!
My "Disclaimer" my two sons take the METRO to their Univ. most days.
Finding a parking place is next to impossible there.
Soooooooooooo,..."WE" benefit ftom the Metro.

I DO give credit when it is DESERVED, too bad that is VERY SELDOM!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps, haven't been to te "NEW" El Conuco, but the "Old One" SUCKED!!!!

Next dr1 meeting in El Conuco....no low presentation tables there to trip over

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
And all for some "HORSE MEATBALLS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I,M AN "APPLEBEE'S" FAN, HAVE'T BEEN HERE THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC