house fan for apartment use. opinions...

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I am hope to bring mi tia a lasso whole house fan cause her home gets warm. We were considering bringing her a whole house fan . This fan has 3 speeds with reverse so it brings in a very cool breeze thru the entire apartment. Obvious energy savings as well. Does anyone have experience with these fans in the DR.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
no, but in states i like a three speed myself. i run medium...:confused::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I guess a lot depends on where you are planning on installing the fan in the apartment. I assume you are going to use a window?

If you had the measurements and orientation you can bring exactly what you need for from home otherwise it might be a bit of a hunt to find quality unit here. I've never looked for this type of fan in the DR nor do I know anyone here who has one. 39 C air blowing into an apartment in August is still 39 C air.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I grew up with window fans in Mississippi and just had to have one here so I measured and found one and ordered it online. But it was really disappointing...not powerful enough and it rusts very quickly. I'd advise standing fans instead....just my opinion. Also, you need a fan that allows for a screen and for the window to close...good thing is, my fan turns even when it's not on....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The term whole house fan typically refers to a 30" to 36" that goes in the ceiling. If that's what your talking about it would work great in the DR.
I've had them further south than the DR and they work wonders. If set up correctly, absolutely no need for AC.

It would be a bit of work retrofitting into an existing house, and you need a cool side of the home to pull in cool air. But you have to have
the cool air to pull in, otherwise a waste of money.

Aug 6, 2006
I would think that the cool side of any house would be the east side, since the Sun will always set in the West, anywhere. Heat builds up more in the afternoon anywhere I have been. If the East side is shaded with trees, it is likely to be cooler.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The lasso whole house fan is very similiar to the house fans sears used to offer back in the day. It installs on the window, along the frame, after the window channel, so the window can be opened / closed with ease. I have used my fan in my apartment in the states, and it does cool the home down , even when its over 90 degrees f outside. The concept for it to work is cross ventilation. So the fan is at 1 window, (exhaust) then you keep another distant window open that sucks in the breeze. This cross- draft is what cools the home.
I didnt consider the rust factor, but the motor is sealed, and parts are coated. This fan works very good, and should be built into the design. These type of fans, on a smaller scale, are used to vent that hot attic. it cost $80 u.s. , and after speaking with mi tia, she remembers having one in her home back when she lived in jersey.
Thanks for the replies, Im just going to bring it to her On my visit.