To add to thread for 'Aussi (Lulla) looking for right little beach town'

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Went to post in the thread "Aussi looking for the right lil beach town, culture, beauty, food n dance!!!" but see that it has been closed (not sure why, as it will be hard for him/her to keep getting useful info if thread is closed) and I also see that he/she has set their account to not accept private messages, so I thought it would be easiest to post here and then maybe someone can move this message into that old thread? If that is possible once closed?

Anyway....

Lulla -

I don't know if it fits everything you are looking for (only concern would be the lack of nightlife but depends how much you need) but I will share my love of Cabrera just in case you are interested. I am a 30 year old female, moved to Cabrera when I was 23, loved it then, love it now.

It is mostly Dominicans with some foreigners thrown in the mix (and those foreigners really are a mix of all backgrounds and ages) so you would be able to mingle with a mixture of everyone. Dominicans and foreigners here get along very well.

I run a non-profit educational organization called The Esperanza Project Esperanza Project which offers free to very low-cost year round education and free summer camp programs to local children and teens where you would be more than welcome to volunteer if you desired (ignore 'volunteer fees' on website as those are for out of country volunteers who we set up with accommodation, meals, etc.).

Loads of beautiful beaches within 20 minutes drive of the town... one right on the outskirts of town (a walk from the centre) and then others spread out on either side. Also waterfall and a couple of neat natural lakes close by.

Sex trafficking is here (as everywhere) but waaaaaaay less in your face than Sosua, Cabarete, or even Las Terrenas. Barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.

Playa Grande beach (10 minutes away) and La Boca beach (15 minutes away) both have bars / restaurants right on the beach. Both beautiful. Playa Grande more touristy. La Boca much more Dominican.

Night life exists, but it isn't like Sosua/Cabarete. Weeknights are quiet. Weekends are busy, bars packed and music blaring. I used to go out and enjoy the weekends when I was 23 but now with two young kids, I am usually found fast asleep in my bed by those hours! ;) We host about 30 volunteers between ages 18 to 25 each year and they seem to enjoy the nightlife just fine. Lots of dancing available out on the weekends, as well as Zumba dance classes available everyday which many of my friends and volunteers take part in and love.

I personally could never see myself living in Cabarete or Sosua, but that is just my own preference. I do love visiting Las Terrenas. Not sure I could live there, but it is very nice.

Would be happy to answer any questions you have about Cabrera or even show you around if you get the chance to pop in on your next visit. Feel free to send me private message or contact me via my esperanza project website as well.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
What sex trafficking is in Cabrera? Don't you mean prostitution?

Oh yes, sorry, probably mean more prostitution but thought that fell under the sex trafficking umbrella (unless a girl is doing it completely on her own/getting all earnings), especially if the girls are under 18... so whatever that is, there is that here, just not nearly as much as some other towns and not as 'in your face'. Certainly wouldn't let that turn me away from the town as a safe and friendly place to live. But anyway, I believe the other thread was closed for going off topic. So my recommendation to her/his question is Cabrera.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It was closed because it's their introduction thread. To say it got carried away a little would be an understatement.

Introduction threads are supposed to be limited to Introductions.

Actually, it was closed because THAT's what Hollywood does! :eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre:
There is NOTHING in Roberts rules for posting in the introduction form about posting anything they want, or for how long!!!
Read it "ABOVE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
LOL, there are no pimps in DR. Most of the girls (like 90 %) work for themselves here.
This is not Australia or Amsterdam Red Light District
Oh yes, sorry, probably mean more prostitution but thought that fell under the sex trafficking umbrella (unless a girl is doing it completely on her own/getting all earnings), especially if the girls are under 18... so whatever that is, there is that here, just not nearly as much as some other towns and not as 'in your face'. Certainly wouldn't let that turn me away from the town as a safe and friendly place to live. But anyway, I believe the other thread was closed for going off topic. So my recommendation to her/his question is Cabrera.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Wanna bet??????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Probably looks like pimp dominican.jpg

OR:

lol

pimp Obama.jpg