Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snowbird special visa

I understand the Dominican Republic has residents that have invested in their homes here and come for several months at a time, want to stay legal, but do not want to go through the residency process, or probably they don't meet the present requirements.

I think the time has come for the country to contemplate establishing a new visa for snowbirds… people that have invested here in a second home and come for less than six months time.

For sure there are other countries that do this well.

Has anyone researched this?

If the DR were to establish this kind of special visa, what would be the requirements and the limitations to stay.

Share your thoughts. Maybe we can show this thread to people in influence and the kind of differentiation from tourist visa, business visa, and residency visa could be granted.

Why wouldn't the fast tracked investors residency work?

2. Likes markryan, Jumbo, mountainannie, AlterEgo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

there are other islands... Bahamas... that have a special category for land holders.
    as I recall. $250,000US or thereabouts

for that , you get fast tracked for residency - it's automatic- and you swear not to work

others have land holding qualifications for entry and residency or stay permits.

it's not unusual nad is something that RD lacks....

I suspect as they review their system they will emulate other proven avenues to attract "snowbirds' and retirees

That group is growing exponentially...........
    It's only Americans who cannot seek a low tax/no tax zone in retirement.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

"Residencia por Inversion" -- any DR1 Forum member applied for residency using this fast tracked measure.
    Here it is explained:

http://www.migracion.gob.do/web/trans/archivos/176.pdf

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the snowbird visa idea.

For true no-tax, low-tax Puerto Rico is the best option for Americans. No FATCA, no federal taxes...you could do worse.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dolores,
    We know many Candians that are snow birds and have property here. They are certainly concerned about this change in the residency postoure of Dr. I cannot put it more than that but they would prefer a 180 day visa being availalble to them at about USD120 - which is consistent with the overstay fees. It gives them peace of mind that they can come for that period of time without any problems. Many canadian states require thier citizens to be there 183 days of the year to retain thier Health Care Status although a few Canadian States have extended to time by a few months.
    I am sure Cdn-Gringo will come in on this but Olly and the team have been here 10 years now and we are all British but hear many of the tales from English speakers.

This would be a good idea to put in place a 180 day visa for about USD 120 that could be obtained in advance in cnada.

Olly and the Team

7. Likes champ, markryan liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcion View Post
    I like the snowbird visa idea.

For true no-tax, low-tax Puerto Rico is the best option for Americans. No FATCA, no federal taxes...you could do worse.
    I also like the snowbird visa idea.
    Question: How does Puerto Rico "escape" federal taxes, etc? It is a territory of the USA with voting rights, etc... I believe they have to pay the same rates as someone living in Florida or any state in the USA.

9. Likes bluemoonnyc liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Wiki has a list of countries that have a permanent residency system.

Also, required visas and length of stay for US Citizens.

On a cursory review, the DR's 30 days extendable to 90(?) looks low compared to the others.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The Residencia por Inversion is exactly a fast-tracked residency, with no time limits, Residency for Investment.
    From what I understand the process enables one to by-pass the temporary residence step.

Has anyone applied successfully for this visa. It would seem an option such as suggested by William Webster.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    I understand the Dominican Republic has residents that have invested in their homes here and come for several months at a time, want to stay legal, but do not want to go through the residency process, or probably they don't meet the present requirements.

I think the time has come for the country to contemplate establishing a new visa for snowbirds… people that have invested here in a second home and come for less than six months time.

For sure there are other countries that do this well.

Has anyone researched this?

If the DR were to establish this kind of special visa, what would be the requirements and the limitations to stay.

Share your thoughts. Maybe we can show this thread to people in influence and the kind of differentiation from tourist visa, business visa, and residency visa could be granted.

Why wouldn't the fast tracked investors residency work?
    In many of the islands the tourist visa is available for 3 months or 6 months, but on arrival you are asked questions by the Immigration Officer who decides at that point the permissible term of your visit and stamps your passport accordingly. It is normal that they only stamp 30 days, so you have to go to the Immigration Office and obtain the extension you need.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
    The Residencia por Inversion is exactly a fast-tracked residency, with no time limits, Residency for Investment.
    From what I understand the process enables one to by-pass the temporary residence step.

Has anyone applied successfully for this visa. It would seem an option such as suggested by William Webster.
    Buster Blowhard, aka Cdn_Gringo is the last entrant that we know of .... and he is generous in supplying information on the subject.
    Yes, it skips a few steps and the need to renew annually... bi-annually, I think.

The land/property ownership idea certainly will surface at some point.... rather than investor, property buyer/owner status

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast