Snowbird special visa

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I understand the Dominican Republic has residents that have invested in their homes here and come for several months at a time, want to stay legal, but do not want to go through the residency process, or probably they don't meet the present requirements.

I think the time has come for the country to contemplate establishing a new visa for snowbirds? people that have invested here in a second home and come for less than six months time.

For sure there are other countries that do this well.

Has anyone researched this?

If the DR were to establish this kind of special visa, what would be the requirements and the limitations to stay.

Share your thoughts. Maybe we can show this thread to people in influence and the kind of differentiation from tourist visa, business visa, and residency visa could be granted.

Why wouldn't the fast tracked investors residency work?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there are other islands... Bahamas... that have a special category for land holders.
as I recall. $250,000US or thereabouts

for that , you get fast tracked for residency - it's automatic- and you swear not to work

others have land holding qualifications for entry and residency or stay permits.

it's not unusual nad is something that RD lacks....

I suspect as they review their system they will emulate other proven avenues to attract "snowbirds' and retirees

That group is growing exponentially...........
It's only Americans who cannot seek a low tax/no tax zone in retirement.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I like the snowbird visa idea.

For true no-tax, low-tax Puerto Rico is the best option for Americans. No FATCA, no federal taxes...you could do worse.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Dolores,
We know many Candians that are snow birds and have property here. They are certainly concerned about this change in the residency postoure of Dr. I cannot put it more than that but they would prefer a 180 day visa being availalble to them at about USD120 - which is consistent with the overstay fees. It gives them peace of mind that they can come for that period of time without any problems. Many canadian states require thier citizens to be there 183 days of the year to retain thier Health Care Status although a few Canadian States have extended to time by a few months.
I am sure Cdn-Gringo will come in on this but Olly and the team have been here 10 years now and we are all British but hear many of the tales from English speakers.

This would be a good idea to put in place a 180 day visa for about USD 120 that could be obtained in advance in cnada.

Olly and the Team

Apr 13, 2011
I like the snowbird visa idea.

For true no-tax, low-tax Puerto Rico is the best option for Americans. No FATCA, no federal taxes...you could do worse.

I also like the snowbird visa idea.
Question: How does Puerto Rico "escape" federal taxes, etc? It is a territory of the USA with voting rights, etc... I believe they have to pay the same rates as someone living in Florida or any state in the USA.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Residencia por Inversion is exactly a fast-tracked residency, with no time limits, Residency for Investment.
From what I understand the process enables one to by-pass the temporary residence step.

Has anyone applied successfully for this visa. It would seem an option such as suggested by William Webster.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I understand the Dominican Republic has residents that have invested in their homes here and come for several months at a time, want to stay legal, but do not want to go through the residency process, or probably they don't meet the present requirements.

I think the time has come for the country to contemplate establishing a new visa for snowbirds? people that have invested here in a second home and come for less than six months time.

If the DR were to establish this kind of special visa, what would be the requirements and the limitations to stay.

Share your thoughts. Maybe we can show this thread to people in influence and the kind of differentiation from tourist visa, business visa, and residency visa could be granted.

In many of the islands the tourist visa is available for 3 months or 6 months, but on arrival you are asked questions by the Immigration Officer who decides at that point the permissible term of your visit and stamps your passport accordingly. It is normal that they only stamp 30 days, so you have to go to the Immigration Office and obtain the extension you need.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Residencia por Inversion is exactly a fast-tracked residency, with no time limits, Residency for Investment.
From what I understand the process enables one to by-pass the temporary residence step.

Has anyone applied successfully for this visa. It would seem an option such as suggested by William Webster.

Buster Blowhard, aka Cdn_Gringo is the last entrant that we know of .... and he is generous in supplying information on the subject.
Yes, it skips a few steps and the need to renew annually... bi-annually, I think.

The land/property ownership idea certainly will surface at some point.... rather than investor, property buyer/owner status

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

I think the time has come for the country to contemplate establishing a new visa for snowbirds… people that have invested here in a second home and come for less than six months time.

In case you are not aware, this horse has been thoroughly flogged over the last couple weeks right here on DR1.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
OK, so the idea is to permit Canadian and US gringos easy access to the he DR while blocking the hatians. So: give me privilege and deny them. I am special.

Well, bull****. While many gringos don't work but do spend and many hatians work but don't spend. Given us special privileged life!

Arrogant elitist!

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I also like the snowbird visa idea.
Question: How does Puerto Rico "escape" federal taxes, etc? It is a territory of the USA with voting rights, etc... I believe they have to pay the same rates as someone living in Florida or any state in the USA.

Section 933 of the tax code exempts residents of Puerto Rico from paying U.S. income tax on their Puerto Rico-sourced income.

Pabrai used Act 20 to set up a new private equity venture in Puerto Rico last year and figures he?ll save as much as $10 million in tax a year, as well as half a million in operating costs. (There?s an abundance of educated Puerto Ricans ready to work for less than their California counterparts. Office space is cheaper, too.)

Act 22 grants new Puerto Rico residents (including, after a recent amendment, returning Puerto Ricans who left before 2006) a 0% rate on locally sourced interest and dividends as well as all capital gains accrued after they become residents, a particular benefit for active traders. So far 509 tax refugees have been granted Act 22 status and another 600 will get it this year, Puerto Rico?s Department of Economic Development & Commerce projects.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
OK, so the idea is to permit Canadian and US gringos easy access to the he DR while blocking the hatians. So: give me privilege and deny them. I am special.

Well, bull****. While many gringos don't work but do spend and many hatians work but don't spend. Given us special privileged life!

Arrogant elitist!

Silence infidel, or we'll nationalize your assets and redistribute your wealth.

And stop dragging Haitians into this.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Franco 101 - give us all the links !

Olly

I suspect a bit of insincerity Olly, but just for fun. The last is the most complete.

Well I tried... Residency woes.
Started by drSix, 04-23-2015 07:48 AM
Replies: 48
Views: 2,113
Last Post: Yesterday 10:00 PM
by yacht chef
Forum:
Government

Fast track residency ??
Started by william webster, 03-28-2015 02:28 PM
Replies: 60
Views: 3,140
Last Post: 04-25-2015 08:16 AM
by Cdn_Gringo
Forum:
Legal

You have until 16th June to get legal status
Started by ju10prd, 02-27-2015 04:28 PM
Replies: 752
Views: 31,339
Last Post: 04-23-2015 07:31 PM
by dv8
Forum:
Legal

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Arrogant elitist!

Two different things. One, the gringo, is a temporary resident that is for the most part not trying to work and stay permanently. The majority of Haitians are working without work visas and have no intentions of leaving.