Hot hot hot

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm really surprised that no one has started a thread about the HEAT lately. We live near the beach on the south coast, and can't remember the last time that there was this intense heat and humidity for so many days, especially in April!

We have a pretty set electrical outage schedule - on from midnight to 8 am [thank God, because our bedroom AC only works with street power], then off from 8 until 2, then on from 2 until 7, then off until midnight. The past couple of days I've been hibernating in the bedroom with my Kindle all afternoon. It even starts to feel warm in there after awhile!! After 7 it's almost bearable outside. Almost.

I'm told tomorrow will be worse, wahhhhhh!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have been telling my wife we are going back to Europe.

And I also have been calling people to quote an air conditioning for downstairs....this is till october........:eek:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes hot, hot, hot......

Water from tinacoa is hot, swimmimg pool is warm....... I hate it......
I go through lots of icecubes and water......

Impossible to do anything without sweating......

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
got to get up(EARLY)with the chic kens/////take a nap 12-3pm shower and go out at dusk...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have been telling my wife we are going back to Europe.

And I also have been calling people to quote an air conditioning for downstairs....this is till october........:eek:

I've 'suggested' we look into a big split system for the living room/dining room area too - we're almost ready to leave to the US, so it will have to be next trip.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes hot, hot, hot......

Water from tinacoa is hot, swimmimg pool is warm....... I hate it......
I go through lots of icecubes and water......

Impossible to do anything without sweating......

Exactly. Tinaco water is too hot, I'm showering with cold water from the cistern, and even that is warm!! After being in the AC until 7 pm, I came out back and thought 'Hey, it's not that bad out here'. Then I proceeded to bring in the clothes from the line, and hang out the wash that had been sitting in the machine while I was cooling off. That's all I did, and I was dying from the heat all over again.

Brought my laptop out to the terrazzo, and have been sitting here a couple of hours now, it's bearable but not comfortable. Not a breeze anywhere either. I've already chosen the 3 outdoor ceiling fans I'm buying from eBay the moment we get back to the US.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Here is Santiago it's supposed to get close to the record. Record is 101F/40C and it will be that or close tomorrow and Thursday.

It's insane this heat.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And with the heat has appeared hundreds of red insects at nightfall looking for the light.......grrrrr.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
where are the mountain breezes??? used to sit on balcon and enjoy the night breeze...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have no energy at all...just lazy. Find a cool spot and stay there. I will be going back to the US in a couple of days so I will just hang in. Sat on the balcony today and shifted my chair which ever way the breeze blew, which was not much...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
As long as the beer is cold....

I do think my wife and oldest stepson belong living in Antartica. Every day, even on the coolest day, both of them IT'S SO HOT! If my wife has one bead of sweat on her, she say "OMG, I'm DRIPPING in sweat". I dunno why in the hell she wanted to move here.

Oh wells

I'm perfectly fine going from the pool to the blender on the hot days, but absolutely need AC it to be cool at night to sleep. We've actually gotten away with no AC's since December (After my November electric bill was $600). But, it is getting hot. First of all, I need some damn decent window fans. So many nights, it is significantly cooler outside than it is inside. And, I've gotten some solar blocking window blinds. Boy, do those make a difference. I need more!

How do you guys keep your place cool when it is hot? I think, the best approach, is to have the windows open all night, then close everything up in the morning. All windows and shades closed for the entire day. Sometimes, if there is a breeze, I will open two windows on the opposite side of the house. Then open things up when the sun goes down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The side of the house facing the afternoon sun -- you need to declare war on it -- all options on the table. Tarps, Sunsetters, heavy shades. Full spectrum dominance.

Check out some automatic water misters for the shaded area, could make a 20 degree difference. And throw in some table fans for directional breezes. Personally, I think ceiling fans are BS when it comes to hardcore cooling but YMMV.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We were in Casa de Campo with our son for the FC Barcelona football clinics on Sunday. Spent the whole day outdoors trying to keep out of the sun and walked around Altos de Chavon where we had lunch and the Marina, which I had never visited. It was unbearably hot, dusty and humid at the same time. Can't imagine what it was like for the kids and trainers who were running around in the sun for several hours.
In Punta Cana it is not exceptionally hot, and at night it cools down significantly, to the point that the fan almost seems de trop.