It Does not Bode Well for Leonel Fernandez

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it seems like the natives are restless

acento.com.do/2015/politica/8244495-eleccion-de-luis-en-prm-aprieta-carrera-electoral-para-el-2016/

the poll shows that both Abinader and Guillermo Moreno will beat Ladronel in the upcoming election.

therefore, watch the constitution get changed with warp speed.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pay Off Possible?

...the poll shows that both Abinader and Guillermo Moreno will beat Ladronel in the upcoming election.

OMG, he may even have to sell FUNGLODE and some of the stolen goods to pay off the competition....

:rolleyes:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good riddance. for now. because he will be back, like a syphilitic wart on the hairy anus of society. hipolito came back, miguel is holding to the remains of power like a rabid pitbull. the politicians in this country linger on until they die.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
good riddance. for now. because he will be back, like a syphilitic wart on the hairy anus of society. hipolito came back, miguel is holding to the remains of power like a rabid pitbull. the politicians in this country linger on until they die.

hippo is done. vargas never was. Ladronel can ride off into the sunset. they are all finished. trust me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are all warts. not life threatening but persisting. they don't want to go away.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
they are all warts. not life threatening but persisting. they don't want to go away.

you are absolutely correct. i agree. and a guy like Vargas is just a masochist, because he cannot be dumb enough to believe he can ever win an election.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
sounds like one person talking to his shadow ..all these comments on this page . Why is it important to sell the FUNGLODE foundation,,it has very good objectives and programmes and is there something basically wrong with having a think tank ??

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I wish there was some way us ex-pats could have a voice in whether or nor crooks get elected. I think that Medina has been doing a pretty good job

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I wish there was some way us ex-pats could have a voice in whether or nor crooks get elected. I think that Medina has been doing a pretty good job

ex pats get a voice where they come from. if you are willing to allow Dominicans to have a voice in how your country is run, i am sure a trade can be arranged.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

That's because most of us expats don't see what many Dominicans see. Danilo's government is as corrupt as Leonel's government was, with one distinction: Leonel's government stole organized, the guys on the top got rich, the lower level officials didn't dare to not implement and follow procedures, guaranteeing governability. Now with Danilo, that put politicos on key positions instead of professionals, stealing is everywhere (again). Lower officials in customs, in education (it's easier to steal in from the educational budget than from a metro budget.). I have plenty examples of mid and big sized companies complaining how they are being blackmailed at customs or dgii by lower level officials, just to get their right (not to evade a tax or duty).

Leonel has one big problem: he has a corrupt close ally and friend who he is still backing. But at least the perceived corruption in daily life was less. Before everybody screams: I don't mean the stealing of x million dollar in this public work or the other, but the corruption in small things was way less under Leonel than it is now under Danilo. Example: you import a container of milk you declare and make a mistake. Customs calls you: you made a mistake and need to pay a 1,000,000 pesos fine. But, they say, let's see if we can work something out, just pay 300,000 and we will handle it. When you decide to prefer to pay the actual fine of 1,000,000 it appears not to be in the system, why? Once in the system it can't be tampered with and the money will go to customs, now guess where the 300,000 would go?

These are practices of the Hipolito era that Leonel's government effectively combatted. But are back in all their glory with Danilo. I'm sure that's not deliberately but it's a fact that most expats don't see, because they don't work, sit on the beach, or in the Colmado and read the translated headlines reporting of how corrupt Leonel and his allies were but don't deal with the things the Dominican entrepeurial class and some other expats deal with.

Until now I preferred not to ventilate this on this forum, but these are things frustrating many people that you don't hear in the press with an agenda.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's because most of us expats don't see what many Dominicans see. Danilo's government is as corrupt as Leonel's government was, with one distinction: Leonel's government stole organized, the guys on the top got rich, the lower level officials didn't dare to not implement and follow procedures, guaranteeing governability. Now with Danilo, that put politicos on key positions instead of professionals, stealing is everywhere (again). Lower officials in customs, in education (it's easier to steal in from the educational budget than from a metro budget.). I have plenty examples of mid and big sized companies complaining how they are being blackmailed at customs or dgii by lower level officials, just to get their right (not to evade a tax or duty).

Leonel has one big problem: he has a corrupt close ally and friend who he is still backing. But at least the perceived corruption in daily life was less. Before everybody screams: I don't mean the stealing of x million dollar in this public work or the other, but the corruption in small things was way less under Leonel than it is now under Danilo. Example: you import a container of milk you declare and make a mistake. Customs calls you: you made a mistake and need to pay a 1,000,000 pesos fine. But, they say, let's see if we can work something out, just pay 300,000 and we will handle it. When you decide to prefer to pay the actual fine of 1,000,000 it appears not to be in the system, why? Once in the system it can't be tampered with and the money will go to customs, now guess where the 300,000 would go?

These are practices of the Hipolito era that Leonel's government effectively combatted. But are back in all their glory with Danilo. I'm sure that's not deliberately but it's a fact that most expats don't see, because they don't work, sit on the beach, or in the Colmado and read the translated headlines reporting of how corrupt Leonel and his allies were but don't deal with the things the Dominican entrepeurial class and some other expats deal with.

Until now I preferred not to ventilate this on this forum, but these are things frustrating many people that you don't hear in the press with an agenda.

i disagree with you one one point. it is not easier to steal from the education budget than from the metro. initiatives such as the metro, with high fixed capital expenditure are far easier to rob. double the construction costs, and the cost of cars and materials, and you score big. the education budget has too much recurrent expenditure, such as salaries, and that is harder to steal.granted, guys are making a killing on school construction, equipment like desks and chairs, computers, you name it. there are kickbacks in the school feeding program. however, numerous cross country studies have concluded that the more corrupt a government is, the more they spend on big dollar capital projects, and the less they spend on education, because the returns to corruption from highways, overpasses, and Super Tucanos is far greater.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What about the botellas at every BanReservas (government bank) branch? Hundreds of branches around the country, at least one per branch = many millions from the government payroll.

These "greeters", usually youngish men wearing suits, serve no purpose apart from welcoming customers and inquiring about the purpose of their visit. They are less skilled than the customer service staff and the cashiers, which is really saying something. One of the cashiers at the new BanReservas branch in San Juan Shopping Centre asked me "?Qu? idioma se habla en Inglaterra?"

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What about the botellas at every BanReservas (government bank) branch? Hundreds of branches around the country, at least one per branch = many millions from the government payroll.

These "greeters", usually youngish men wearing suits, serve no purpose apart from welcoming customers and inquiring about the purpose of their visit. They are less skilled than the customer service staff and the cashiers, which is really saying something. One of the cashiers at the new BanReservas branch in San Juan Shopping Centre asked me "?Qu? idioma se habla en Inglaterra?"

and that guy might be the brightest of the bunch...