La Mafia Que Intimida Y Extorsiona A Los Extranjeros En Puerto Plata

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Look, the foreign money that is locked up is real estate is for even a single foreign investor is greater that the annual salary of the local judge, police, and local lawyers. So if you have seen a shake down before where they extort $300 from you and then divide it up between parties right in front of you. What will happen for a $20,000 investment?

The fact that some one can walk on to your land and "squat" and can pour money into the system for years with no results says something. and after 20 year legal struggle, whos to say you won't go through it again with another squatter.

The LAW, is what gives people CONFIDENCE to invest, it is the basis of a working economy. I don't see that in DR.

In should be like the US, if you want to see who has title, you go to the local hall of records and find out.

When I first came to the North coast, way, way, way, way, back , :), the hall of record was on the north side of the Puerto Plata central plaza, granted it was not much, but it at least existed.

My vote is, the whole system is broken. Kind of like what I have been told of parts of India, if you are not occupying the property 24/7, you will find you do not own it any more.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
In should be like the US, if you want to see who has title, you go to the local hall of records and find out.

When I first came to the North coast, way, way, way, way, back , :), the hall of record was on the north side of the Puerto Plata central plaza, granted it was not much, but it at least existed.

My vote is, the whole system is broken. Kind of like what I have been told of parts of India, if you are not occupying the property 24/7, you will find you do not own it any more.

Registro de Titulo is located right next to the Palacio de Justicia in Puerto Plata whenever you what to check a land title to see who holds a claim to it.

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
This is incredible..plain out in your face corruption and theft..why doesnt anyone from the central gov do anything? doesnt anyone have good connections with the central gov people? clearly the major doesnt do anything because he is involved...

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
One simply needs to live here for more than a decade...=during that time, one makes connections..
SIMPLE AS THAT..

But please use the search engine on DR1. READ.. & You will find LOTs of Advice/Help

:)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The fact that some one can walk on to your land and "squat" and can pour money into the system for years with no results says something. and after 20 year legal struggle, whos to say you won't go through it again with another squatter.

Behind our property in DR is a 24 tareas parcel. Empty for years. Someone came along [a neighbor] and built a block house on the property, and his son moved in. Apparently son had lots of party/noise, father got mad and had the aluzinc roof removed. Remember, this is not their property, they were squatters. Time passes, and late last year the owner shows up out of nowhere, and is furious about the squatting, it gets nasty, owner [older man] is attacked, and a blow to the kidney/liver [can't remember which] ends up killing him.

Fast forward. Now the land is for sale, by the wife and the son of the man who died. They are afraid to step foot anywhere near, so they have a lawyer representing them. We were interested in the section that backs up to our property, about 5-6 tareas, but it includes the house - and the guy who built it [illegally!!] wants to be compensated for it directly, in addition to paying the seller. Only in DR.

We walked away, not worth the hassle. It will be 100 years before that mess is cleared up.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Do not leave land unattended.

... parcel. Empty for years. Someone came along [a neighbor] and built a block house on the property, and his son moved in.... they were squatters. Time passes, and late last year the owner shows up out of nowhere, and is furious about the squatting, it gets nasty, owner [older man] is attacked, and a blow to the kidney/liver [can't remember which] ends up killing him.

Although I think that the owner was Dominican in this case, this may serve as a warning especially to 'gringos'.
It's "Use it or lose it."
There are a lot of criminals who do not respect other people's property and with the help of shady lawyers, surveyors, corrupt judges or just 'fellow squatters' and 'functionarios' steal land.
We know of several cases.. it is not rare.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Although I think that the owner was Dominican in this case, this may serve as a warning especially to 'gringos'.
It's "Use it or lose it."
There are a lot of criminals who do not respect other people's property and with the help of shady lawyers, surveyors, corrupt judges or just 'fellow squatters' and 'functionarios' steal land.
We know of several cases.. it is not rare.

donP

Yes, everyone involved is Dominican. Imagine what chance a gringo would have.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whole barrios are built this way. the land has owners who may live in a different city/country, sometimes there is already a conflict about the land if it was inherited by a group of people (kids or other family). then it is overtaken by padres de familia and its fate is sealed. san marcos and javilla in POP were created like that. now there is no way of reclaiming that land, short of killing everyone.

i think that cruise port is now partially to blame for the land craze in POP. everyone thinks it will be a goose laying golden eggs and that millions are to be made selling land to passengers. insane, really. sooner or later it will be evident that someone else it taking all the golden eggs and the goose will be made into dominican sanchoco.

Apr 7, 2014
Behind our property in DR is a 24 tareas parcel. Empty for years. Someone came along [a neighbor] and built a block house on the property, and his son moved in. Apparently son had lots of party/noise, father got mad and had the aluzinc roof removed. Remember, this is not their property, they were squatters. Time passes, and late last year the owner shows up out of nowhere, and is furious about the squatting, it gets nasty, owner [older man] is attacked, and a blow to the kidney/liver [can't remember which] ends up killing him.

Fast forward. Now the land is for sale, by the wife and the son of the man who died. They are afraid to step foot anywhere near, so they have a lawyer representing them. We were interested in the section that backs up to our property, about 5-6 tareas, but it includes the house - and the guy who built it [illegally!!] wants to be compensated for it directly, in addition to paying the seller. Only in DR.

We walked away, not worth the hassle. It will be 100 years before that mess is cleared up.
Rent a bulldozer and rAze the house. Pay some watchies to run him off with those 12 guage shotguns

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Law of the Jungle

Rent a bulldozer and rAze the house. Pay some watchies to run him off with those 12 guage shotguns

Very effective method. :laugh:
Dominican inspired, too. :classic:
Instead of watchmen, I'd use police, however..... :smoke:

donP

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Very effective method. :laugh:
Dominican inspired, too. :classic:
Instead of watchmen, I'd use police, however..... :smoke:

donP

When i first came here the property that was not ocupied had wachy mans sitting in a chair in the middle of the lot with a shot gun and parasol Now i know why.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com

Yep, I remember reading that crazy portion of the law. The squatter has rights to be compensated .......... in DR that is. Again, even if you settle it, who says it won't happen again.

What will they do to a Gringo that bulldozes a squatters shack? You don't suppose they will put them though the shakedown hustle? do you?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
First you need to clearly understand Dominican Law. There is none! Its just made up, bent, flexed, and more often than not completely ignored.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

If a squatter killed my old man on his own property.... there would retribution...