exporting from DR

JWegman

Jan 3, 2002
I am considering starting an export business - buying specialty goods in the DR to sell in the US and other countries. Looking for published resources on how to set this up and to converse with others who are successfully doing this so I can learn how to begin. Lots of questions around legal process and establishing local contacts.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
export business

Export businesses can be profitable. I suggest you approach the USA consulate/commercial affairs in Santo Domingo for direct information.
I would warn you about importing. The Dominican customs authorities and the port tarriff system in general is chaotic, and totally arbitrary. Today, with GATT implemented and international standards to be applied to product, you still find serious under the table money being directed at officials and staff to allow you to bring in product at a competitive rate.
If you fail to fall into the system or cooperate, the application of rates to your pricing makes your product non-competitive.
There is a serious problem in this country on the import side- I suggest you stay away from that one.

carlos Castillo

Jan 5, 2002
I agree with with this response to your question, if you don't want to have a hard time in your life stay away from this business

good luck my friend.

Luis DR

Jan 6, 2002
Don't let other scare you

If you really want to start a busyness and you have what it takes, all you need is work hard and be honest don't be like that person who suggested you to get into buying official in order to be competitive, no mi amigo, take it from me who frequently bring goods to my dear country. those people are the ones who give a bad image to my country, but they are only a minority. and by the way it's a great busyness. work hard get informed at the embasy and good luck. wish you the best Luis