T-Mobile Service

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Hey, I'll be visiting RD in June.. how's cell phone service on the island? I have T-Mobile.

With T Mobile's Simple Choice Plan you?ve unlimited data and texting. All at no extra charge. Calls stateside they?re just 20 cents a minute. Again thats ONLY with T-Mobile's Simple Choice Plan. Data will be very slow. Don't expect to be streaming Netflix while lounging on the beaches of Boca Chica. The free roaming option will only provide data at 2G speeds.

When you land T-Mobile will send you a "Welcome to DR" text, with an additional text for an option to purchase a high speed data plan.

Additionally, make sure your phone is compatible with DR's network (Orange). Tmobile piggybacks off Orange Dominicana I believe. Your "coverage" will be as good/bad as Orange is.

Don't forget that with a T-mobile branded phone or a newer iPhone you can make free WiFi calls to the US. Also you may want to call Tmobile before leaving to make sure no "international calling blocks" are on/activated on your line(s) or none of the above will work.

Below is a link to Tmobile's coverage in DR:

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Tmobile is a CDMA network carrier in the US. DR is a GSM country.
Those phones wont work together

????? I have an unlocked T mobile phone, that works fine here. Also with T mobile you have free wifi calling and free roaming, so you can make and receive calls back to the states, no charge

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Tmobile is a CDMA network carrier in the US. DR is a GSM country.
Those phones wont work together

Tmobile is NOT a CDMA carrier, thats Verizon Wireless (3G/2G - CDMA2000 800/1900 MHz). Tmobile owns licenses to operate a 1900 MHz GSM PCS digital cellular network and a 1700 MHz UMTS AWS digital cellular network that includes GSM, HSPA+, and LTE.

Last edited:

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have t-mobile with my iphone. Calls on Orange here are fine, but the free data is worthless (2g).

Singletravel

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you use T Mobile in the DR it will be on roaming. You will be buried.

Apr 7, 2014
Tmobile is NOT a CDMA carrier, thats Verizon Wireless (3G/2G - CDMA2000 800/1900 MHz). Tmobile owns licenses to operate a 1900 MHz GSM PCS digital cellular network and a 1700 MHz UMTS AWS digital cellular network that includes GSM, HSPA+, and LTE.
I have an accoun with MetroPCS which is a unit of TMobile USA and it is a CDMA phone. I was told it has a sim card for the Android OS. In DR it would be roaming if I didnt keep it airplane mode and just the WiFi on. The WiFi is great for getting a taxi to take you from the airport.

I gave a Huawei M920 to a friend and they said they dont use that network there, so the phone cant be used for call but for all other smartphone things it can be used with WiFi.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I have T-mobile and this year I've been to DR twice already with NO problems whatsoever with my phone...
Of course, I don't go there to be ON THE PHONE/INTERNET at all... BUT if I have to get in touch with anyone there or here...
I use Whatsapp and there is no charge even for calls!!! I think EVERYONE in the island has that app... :) :) :)
I only had to make one phone call to my bank once, and the charge was $1.87 extra on my bill... so it's not too bad... Good luck...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I have an accoun with MetroPCS which is a unit of TMobile USA and it is a CDMA phone. I was told it has a sim card for the Android OS. In DR it would be roaming if I didnt keep it airplane mode and just the WiFi on. The WiFi is great for getting a taxi to take you from the airport.

I gave a Huawei M920 to a friend and they said they dont use that network there, so the phone cant be used for call but for all other smartphone things it can be used with WiFi.

This link explains what your phone is:
T-Mobile: 92% of MetroPCS CDMA subs moved onto GSM network amid shutdown in 3 markets - FierceWireless

T-Mobile is not CDMA, they are GSM and are phasing out MetroPCS's CDMA networks.