need new tires

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We are in need of 4 new tires,- our 3rd set in less that 3 years! There are some brand name tires available here but when you research the model you find it is a low end model???
So, how does one get a tire that will last us more than 15K?
BTW, we are old and usually drive slow, no heavy breaking but are on rough gravel frequently and of course hit the occasional (haha) pothole!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We are in need of 4 new tires,- our 3rd set in less that 3 years! There are some brand name tires available here but when you research the model you find it is a low end model???
So, how does one get a tire that will last us more than 15K?
BTW, we are old and usually drive slow, no heavy breaking but are on rough gravel frequently and of course hit the occasional (haha) pothole!

First of all there are many brands of tires with different warrantied mileage. If you buy a cheap priced tires the quality is probably poor and the miles you put on them will be poor, however if you are replacing tires every year then something else is going on with your vehicle. Perhaps your shock absorbers are warn out putting additional stress on the tires. The car may be out of allignment which is very possilble with the poor roads in the DR. This would also effect the tires. Also when you buy a set of tires there is a manufacturer date imprinted on the sidewall near the tire size. Make sure this "experation" date is in the future not already past or near the current date. Some tires have a tendency to sit on the shelf of the wholesaler and not get rotated properly. Check that date before they intstalled on your car. Bottom line is make sure there is nothing else wrong with your vehicle that would effect tire wear and if you can buy a better grade of tire with atleast a 50,000 mile wear warranty. I bought some tires a few years ago that were manfactured by a Canadian Company and they are still going strong. Good luck.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I bought Firestone tires 3 years ago at Pricesmart. They show oneys minimal wear. They mount and balance. The price was great. I'd do it again, if I ever need new ones.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Just get the cheap ones, and replace them every year or so. It'll cost less in the end. The roads suck, there is crap in the road, and pot holes, and so many things to run over. You can get a decent set of tires at the little road side Gomero (sp?) for less than $200.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Just get the cheap ones, and replace them every year or so. It'll cost less in the end. The roads suck, there is crap in the road, and pot holes, and so many things to run over. You can get a decent set of tires at the little road side Gomero (sp?) for less than $200.

DrSix, A while ago I did some calculations on the cost of buying decent but used versus buying new. I came up with equal. and I also came up with new being less work and less risk.

One of the risks comes from the condition of used. eg.: The gomero will repair a side wall puncture.

Another is the measure of the amount of wear. I think it is frequently very high in used. BUt since many gomeros don't have a pressure guage they even more don't have a depth gauge.

Any thoughts? anyone have some hard numbers?

Tom

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well I dunno like, my tyres are the original on the Terrios I bought 9 years ago, they are not yet down to the 1mm of tread specified in the UK but I will replace them when they are
I don't do a lot of miles per year, what for there are plenty of buses and guaguas. I don' t do US tv style starts and turns and very seldom brake savagely except in emergency. So I'm not grumbling.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I use cheapo unknown name tyres and they last me much longer than you have stated. How do you manage to get through a set of tyres per year? I live on a gravel road, do about 10,000 miles per year and have had a few punctures but in four and a half years have changed only two tyres (not two sets). I guess you will just have to look more carefully for those potholes!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

My theory has always been that your tires are the only thing between your vehicle and the roadway. You are stupido if you buy crap tires. They will not hold up on the DR roads and you certainly do not want a blow out orflat tire out in the middle of nowhere. Tires are one thing you should not go cheap on. This is for safety concerns and in the DR I would be very concerned with a safe car under various road and weather conditions. Pay now or most likely pay later for your desicion. It is one thing if you can't afford it but you are compromising your safety by going this route. Good luck.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I would assume any good quality tire in the DR has a high probability of being fake. Import if you can, other wise check the codes carefully and buy from pricemart type store..

dotcode5.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This has been discussed before.

Personally, I bring them in b/c the RD tires are of lesser quality IMO.

Myrna, the gomero on the far side of Cabrera is my choice for repairs etc.... or go to Pricesmart in STI if you're not importing

I have bought from the place in Nagua at the split in the road on the way to Samana.... they didn't last long but its fast and easy

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
So....where is the "expiration date" on that tire?

"Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service."

"experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

Source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Apr 7, 2014
"Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service."

"experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

Source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138
So....no REAL expiration date then? Just an expectation that tires will be sold or exchanged every 6 years?