Cooking class and/or recipes for nanny.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So, we have a new nanny.

I paying her well, because she works a 10 hour day and is supposed to be the quintessential 1950's house wife. (Which I found out is ama de llaves and not ama de casa, the latter also meaning mistress.)

She takes care of the cleaning, watches the little one, prepares lunch then snacks for after school, dishes, laundry, kids to the park, make dinner, grocery shop. The whole nine yards.

Problem is, she doesn't cook as well as I had hoped. Big surprise. I'm having a hard time showing her, because of my limited spanish. I would like her, at some point, to be able to put together a meal plan for the week, go to the grocery store, and make dinner every night. With some variety. Dominican, American, Pastas ect.

Is there a cooking class somewhere I can send her to? For even a week? Any place online I can find recipes in Spanish she can follow?

Or, am I being crazy, and should lower her expectation and pay and hire a chef for the dinners?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's hopeless!
Unless you love SUGAR, SALT, & FAT!!!!!!!!!!
They all cook the same foods, in the same ways.
The ONLY setting they use on the stove burners is "HIGH"
They over cook everything, may have to do with killing bacteria.

Remember, this is the "DR, the land that spice forgot"!!!!!!!!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

It's hopeless!
Unless you love SUGAR, SALT, & FAT!!!!!!!!!!
They all cook the same foods, in the same ways.
The ONLY setting they use on the stove burners is "HIGH"
They over cook everything, may have to do with killing bacteria.

Remember, this is the "DR, the land that spice forgot"!!!!!!!!!!

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

jajajajaja THIS!!!!!!! I listen to my biddy complain about the same thing non stop. heheheheheheehe

make your wife cook drsix!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
make your wife cook drsix!

Ha. Millennial women don't know how to cook. Her mothers era of feminists decided not to teach their daughters how to cook, so they could break out of the kitchen. Sounds like the opposite of independence to me, can't make yourself dinner.

I'm the cook in the house, but I am gone half the time. And, she is working full time now, so doesn't really have the time to do it.

Ha. Millennial women don't know how to cook. Her mothers era of feminists decided not to teach their daughters how to cook, so they could break out of the kitchen. Sounds like the opposite of independence to me, can't make yourself dinner.

I'm the cook in the house, but I am gone half the time. And, she is working full time now, so doesn't really have the time to do it.

Ya i was going to say you should cook but thought you were gone a lot. I do my own cooking (that is why I eat out everyday) but we always eat differently,she is psycho healthy and I am not!

Could you hire a cook to come in once a week or something and freeze the meals?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Ofcourse there are cooking classes, you'll pay for one and then she wants more salary, because now she's a chef.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Luckily for our family, my mother-in-law lives with us, and is a great cook!
Lots of variety, several steamed "Veggies" everyday, her meatballs are NOT deadly weapons, and she bakes a lot of deserts.

My wife just EATS, nothing more!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Dr6, mybe have someone come in to cook asnd at the same time train the nanny.

Then slowly transition to just nanny. The nanny will learn asd have a safety net.

Later expand her repetoir (sp) yourself.

Tom

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"Cooking is mucho trabajo...primero mas dinero."

You'd be surprised how more pesos can trigger a sudden recall.

easybakeoven.jpg

"Mucho complicado...lo siento."

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
"Cooking is mucho trabajo...primero mas dinero."

You'd be surprised how more pesos can trigger a sudden recall.

I don't think so. I made it very clear in the beginning that I am paying a higher wage because she is expected to cook. She has been cooking, but solely Dominican food. She has shown some interest in learning. I just don't know if she will, and if I can teach her.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I don't think so. I made it very clear in the beginning that I am paying a higher wage because she is expected to cook. She has been cooking, but solely Dominican food. She has shown some interest in learning. I just don't know if she will, and if I can teach her.

A man can get tired of conn.jpg with conn2.jpg

Last edited:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Okay, so any who... Now that we've discussed how futile this will probably be and the typical Dominican nanny, there must be websites out there with recipes in Spanish for western food. My Googlefu in espanol is lacking.

I'll give her a chance and see what happens, I promise not to be surprised if nothing happens.

Where could she 'go' to learn how to cook. Like a week long, the basics, class? Or something online? I dunno.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Drop me your email via pm and I will send you western food recipes in Spanish for her which my Dominican family like and which my Dominican step son finds easy to cook as well. Such as chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, home made pizza, meatballs, chicken curry, shepherds pie, lasagne, beef bourguignon, chicken and white wine casserole, sweet and sour pork, thai chicken and basil etc etc etc. All simple, all loved by Dominicans, easy to cook.

Matilda

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
If she does anything online it will be FaiBoo.

Think outside the box. A restaurant near you that serves food you like? Pay her for the week to learn there grill side. I'm sure it will be an easy sell to the owner.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't want to sound rude but there is a difference between: "my spanish is not that good" and "i'm too dumb to google". it's enough to type "mejor recetas" and press enter. voila.

in any case, check those:
Las mejores recetas y video recetas de cocina y cocineros en Canal Cocina?- ?canalcocina.es
Blog de Cocina, Gastronom?a y Recetas - El Aderezo
Lista de recetas

does your nanny know how to read and write, by the way?

i know a dominican girl who is a professional chef. she went to this school: Universidad Dom?nico Americana
and did this program: http://www.icda.edu.do/Portals/0/DocumentosPDF/UNICDA/Diplomado Básico en Arte Culinario.pdf

Aug 21, 2007
Why not allow her to watch one of the cooking shows on tv? Have her watch 2 - 3 times a week and then have her try to duplicate what she learned. I do have some Dominican friends who sent their maid to cooking school in Santo Domingo. This maid does exactly what you are asking for. She plans the meals, shops, then cooks. And this family eats no gluten, so it is possible to train someone.

Good luck! I love to cook, too, but sometimes I wish I also had a maid to cook something non-Dominican once in awhile.

Lindsey

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Criss,
Very true, but there are benefits in eating fresh foods. I don't remember eating much in the line of resurrected frozen stuff in
the DR.
Import your own spices as a last resort.