Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Las Americas airport chaos

As is often the case, political intrigue (Vincho v. Taveras this time) is behind what is ailing the population. The AILA departure area chaos of the past few months is very tiresome, unnecessary, confusing, and a black mark on the Dominican tourism sector. The new immigration verification system is wholly unfit for purpose. The delays are now up to two hours. I am curious about how bad it will become before someone takes action. As if this were not bad enough, the CESA security agents now separate the security checkpoints by gender - men on one side and women on the other. The reason is the new procedure of patting down every passenger. It's unusual that a male and female agent is not made available at each checkpoint line to frisk passengers, rather than separating the long lines of passengers as if they are on a stadium rest room line. It is a stereotypically third world inefficiency. I was stunned that passengers find out about the unusual procedure in two ways. They are either sent to the back of another line when they reach the head of a line for the opposite sex, or they find out by word of mouth passed along the waiting line. There is no signage. I am surprised this part of the problem has not appeared in the press reports about the airport delays yet.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a very Dominican system

3. Likes robbiee liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't noticed any delays last times I travelled. About 10 times faster that departure from Miami.

(I must say entering USA through Miami is a bliss since they installed machines for European passport holders.

5. Likes arturo, HUG liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My step daughter and I took jetBlue from Santo Domingo to NY a couple of days ago. We had separate tickets on separate passenger records. (I'm U.S. citizen, she is a resident) Only one line going through security with one male agent and one female agent doing the pat downs after the metal detector. No line to speak of. Computers were up and running at the immigration booths and we experienced no delays at all going through the process. I will admit to being a little surprised at how smoothly things went.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We're literally in the airport right now at the gate. A little backup at Security, but otherwise quick. Paid my 4000 pesos for overstay, took minutes and got a receipt

Administrator
    DR1.com

8. Likes jd426, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arturo View Post
    ..........It's unusual that a male and female agent is not made available at each checkpoint line to frisk passengers, rather than separating the long lines of passengers as if they are on a stadium rest room line. It is a stereotypically third world inefficiency. I was stunned that passengers find out about the unusual procedure in two ways. They are either sent to the back of another line when they reach the head of a line for the opposite sex, or they find out by word of mouth passed along the waiting line. There is no signage. I am surprised this part of the problem has not appeared in the press reports about the airport delays yet.

Thats SOOO DOMINICAN...
    it it were not sad, it would almost be funny...
    LOL
    I swear these people have never even heard of the word Logic,never mind knowing what it means.
    Its almost as if they do this sheit on purpose.. but its not.. its just that they dont have a freeking CLUE.
    Any other country, there would be protest or rioting passengers...

10. Likes TP666 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

PS

We both came through the same security line

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like this report about "chaos" is all about nothing then.. or just no longer applies..
    good to hear.

13. Likes bronzeallspice, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would still advise allowing plenty of time. When I can, I plan my trips for days and times when the passenger loads are light. There is still no way of knowing for sure whether you are going to have an "AlterEgo" or an "arturo" experience.

15. Likes arturo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I travel almost every month and I never see any delays. Don't know what Arturo is talking about.

17. Likes robbiee, CaptnGlenn, jd426 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast