Las Americas airport chaos

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
As is often the case, political intrigue (Vincho v. Taveras this time) is behind what is ailing the population. The AILA departure area chaos of the past few months is very tiresome, unnecessary, confusing, and a black mark on the Dominican tourism sector. The new immigration verification system is wholly unfit for purpose. The delays are now up to two hours. I am curious about how bad it will become before someone takes action. As if this were not bad enough, the CESA security agents now separate the security checkpoints by gender - men on one side and women on the other. The reason is the new procedure of patting down every passenger. It's unusual that a male and female agent is not made available at each checkpoint line to frisk passengers, rather than separating the long lines of passengers as if they are on a stadium rest room line. It is a stereotypically third world inefficiency. I was stunned that passengers find out about the unusual procedure in two ways. They are either sent to the back of another line when they reach the head of a line for the opposite sex, or they find out by word of mouth passed along the waiting line. There is no signage. I am surprised this part of the problem has not appeared in the press reports about the airport delays yet.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Haven't noticed any delays last times I travelled. About 10 times faster that departure from Miami.

(I must say entering USA through Miami is a bliss since they installed machines for European passport holders.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My step daughter and I took jetBlue from Santo Domingo to NY a couple of days ago. We had separate tickets on separate passenger records. (I'm U.S. citizen, she is a resident) Only one line going through security with one male agent and one female agent doing the pat downs after the metal detector. No line to speak of. Computers were up and running at the immigration booths and we experienced no delays at all going through the process. I will admit to being a little surprised at how smoothly things went.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're literally in the airport right now at the gate. A little backup at Security, but otherwise quick. Paid my 4000 pesos for overstay, took minutes and got a receipt

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
..........It's unusual that a male and female agent is not made available at each checkpoint line to frisk passengers, rather than separating the long lines of passengers as if they are on a stadium rest room line. It is a stereotypically third world inefficiency. I was stunned that passengers find out about the unusual procedure in two ways. They are either sent to the back of another line when they reach the head of a line for the opposite sex, or they find out by word of mouth passed along the waiting line. There is no signage. I am surprised this part of the problem has not appeared in the press reports about the airport delays yet.

Thats SOOO DOMINICAN...
it it were not sad, it would almost be funny...
LOL
I swear these people have never even heard of the word Logic,never mind knowing what it means.
Its almost as if they do this sheit on purpose.. but its not.. its just that they dont have a freeking CLUE.
Any other country, there would be protest or rioting passengers...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like this report about "chaos" is all about nothing then.. or just no longer applies..
good to hear.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I would still advise allowing plenty of time. When I can, I plan my trips for days and times when the passenger loads are light. There is still no way of knowing for sure whether you are going to have an "AlterEgo" or an "arturo" experience.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I travel almost every month and I never see any delays. Don't know what Arturo is talking about.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think the Arturo experience happens at prime time, i.e. Fridays and Sundays and weekdays when several widebody jets are departing within a two-hour period. I am relieved to hear it is hit or miss.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I must add I practically always leave early in the morning when I travel (unless I go to Europe).

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Mauricio, please explain that. Are their lines for european passport holders ? where in Miami in april don't notice any change.
Haven't noticed any delays last times I travelled. About 10 times faster that departure from Miami.

(I must say entering USA through Miami is a bliss since they installed machines for European passport holders.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
For the last decade I have travelled on average 4 times a month through the airports of DR, and from that experience Las Americas is the DR airport with the most possibility of a logjam entering or leaving. But I wouldnt call it chaos, and I havent noticed a difference lately.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I thought this thread was about DEPARTURES from the Dom Republic, and the INefficiencies and times of chaos because of the Security lines ?... ie the equivalent of our TSA here in the USA, which can also be a nightmare at cerain times of day
although the info about immigration in your home cities is nice to hear, (Im also proud of the new Kiosks at JFK here in NY)
im not sure what this has to do with the original thrust of the thread about Las Americas Aeropuerto Internacional, Santo Domingo....
just saying. maybe that could be a seperate topic.. the passport kiosks are nice, yes.

Jan 17, 2009
I thought the new procedure was just because they had a new computer system, but Listin says that is to verify that foreigners don't leave without paying the overstay fees if they owe any.

I don't get it. I went through the blocked passport process in SDQ in early May. I'm a resident and had my residency card with me. So what overstay fees are they talking about?

Wondering if I'll have it blocked again next time I leave the DR. They said no, it's only one time to update the system. Will soon find out. Leaving in a week.