Fires in the Las Terrenas Area

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Las Terrenas
Today 3 Air Force helicopters were helping in the fight to put down fires around Las Terrenas.
It was said that villas in the Cos?n area were affected...

LTtfires_zpsiowryqxe.png

Source:
Facebook, Delvis Santos

donP

@Mods:
Please move to NE Forum or Environment if more suited.

Last edited:

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"537 ATV's Destroyed in Las Terrenas Blaze" is the headline I'm hoping for.

Boowow

Feb 5, 2015
Hello don,

Can you tell me what caused the fires - is this common in the Samana area?

Boowow

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello don,

Boowow

Fires are common, if you mean do locals start fires to slash and burn fields or drive the land crabs out of the ground. Then, yes. Also, garbage is burned along with various other things and maybe a couple of "gringos". Seriously, locals will start a small fire with no clue as to the danger with cross winds or anyway to put the fire out if it is out of control. It is sad but not an uncommon occurance.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
2nd Planet

Everything ok up thee DonP? Best Regards.

Yes, we are fine. Thanks for asking.

We have had 'bush fires' every year during the drier season. This year the unusual drought, the high temperautures and very high winds (for more than a week from the south) made things worse.
Many of the hills around us look rather bleak, the coming rains will wash down whatever little topsoil is left. :(

I guess, it is the same all over the country:
- They burn the weed (or spray herbizides) to make a pasture or a 'conuco';
{In former times they would use a 'col?n' or 'machete', now they are too lazy for that.}
- They light 'basura' because NOW is the time to do that;
- They run away once a fire gets out of control;
- The environment means nothing to them... (They have a second planet on standby....).

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hello don,

Boowow

It's farmers who clear areas in the hills above Coson by burning the dry wooded areas.

If you walk those hills you will find plenty of 'farms' growing yucca, sweet potato and more.

They tend to set the areas on fire at night because the Environment department does try to enforce the law with limited resources.

Walk the old Coson to Sanchez trail starting at the INAPA water tank and you will come across many of these 'farms'

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My information s that the fires were not actually Coson but in Loma Ana which is in the hills up a small road at La Noria by the colmado...........I used to rent a place up there........two homes burnt down!