Exit Tax Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I am probably one of the few tourists who regularly crosses the border on foot from Elias Pina to Belade as well as the return trip. I have done this 25+ times since 2009 and I have never seen another obvious tourist.

Over the years I have seen many changes in fees (including no fees) on both the Dominican and Haitian sides. The issue of fees (or no fees) is somewhat muddied given that E.P. is the site of a twice-weekly binational market where thousands of Haitians cross in both directions with no documentation and they do so legally. However, should anyone decide to leave E.P. for the capital, s(he) will be confronted by at least five military checkpoint stops with armed surveillance coming on board.

Last month, April, was the first time that I was forced to pay a WHOPPING $RD 2500 EXIT tax even though I had been in the D.R. only for about 33 days. The last information I have, from dr1 forums, in fact, is this:

CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

However, this time I was showed a purportedly official document at the Dominican immigration checkpoint/office that indicated a change. The change is that if you are in the D.R. for between 30 and 90 days you must pay a $RD 2500 exit tax. I have a receipt for this transaction, which I insisted upon. Informally, someone (not a government person) told me that there was a change in the law as of November, 2014.

Googling in both English and Spanish for republicana dominicana impuestos de salida I am unable to find ANY offical Dominican governmental information that confirms or denies that the amount I paid is bona fide as opposed to arbitrary and possibly corrupt. (Further, after paying this money, I was asked for more money at the CAJA, which I refused to pay. After I said as much (!Ya pague!) and I started searching for my receipt, I was waved on. This was straight-up extortion.

On the Haitian side, I will tell you that procedures were "smooth as butter" and professional, with no hint of subterfuge.

To repeat, my question/concern: I paid Dominican immigration an exit tax of RD 2500, after having had been in the D.R. for a little over a month. Can anyone help me corroborate the official take? Either the fee is correct and I'd like to find confirmation or it is incorrect and possibly arbitrary and fraudulent, in which case, where should I take up this matter--at the principal Dominican immigration office in S.D. ??

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
OP addendum:

I will leave for Haiti on May 12 via the same route. The manager at the immigration office insists that since this is less than 30 days since my Haiti-Dominican re-entry, that I will pay NO EXIT TASK. To be continued . . .

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Overstay tax went up several months ago. Do a search here (it's been discussed over and over again) or go on www.migracion.gob.do and select tarifa de servicios and you'll find the new fees.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
RD 2500 is new tarifa for 30 days - 90 days.

The search function is pretty much worthless on here, unfortunately.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I am probably one of the few tourists who regularly crosses the border on foot from Elias Pina to Belade as well as the return trip. I have done this 25+ times since 2009 . . .

Wow! I'd love to hear your story some day.

wbr

Status
Not open for further replies.