any creative ideas how to make ice Do It Yourself?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
It seems that I will spend on buying ice from colmado this month the same money that some people spend here on electricity in whole month.
which is- around 30 usd.Paying 30 usd/ month for the ice doesnt seem to be clever idea, at least for me.

SO...the question is: do you make ice by yourself ? I know that in theory its really simple: just put the water into the freezer and you have ice.
The problem however, is in details: WHERE TO put that water ? to which form ? plastic cup ? nah, it wont work
foil bag ? doesnt seem to be so comfortable also...
i never saw in any shop in DR any kind of "form" to put water into and get some nice ice blocks...
What would you suggest me, except dive into my pocket for 30 bucks ?
:p

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Well, believe it or not, you could try an ice tray to make ice cubes.
I make ice for a "picnic" in quart / 1/2 gallon milk cartons.

It would help if you told us why you need so much ice, and the size blocks / cubes you need, are you preserving fish or dead bodies?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
...buying ice,,,we are in a difficult country...when i was in jamaica w.i. my good friend always gave me the key to the freezer...make ice ,and keep it full... etc...in d.r. its difficult for natives to make ice...dont know why but my ex will see people going to the store to buy ice but we are not allowed to sell it to them...
you have got to go to hdwre store...an old corn bread pan?loaf?type works well...u gotta make block ice...the cheap plastic squares they have there break... a formed metal container(square) is the best....then you need a ice pick..and the trick to an ice pick is to hold the ice in hand...slide the pick down so it cant pass thru the ice....i.e. the ice pick handle is above your grip...and the pick is shortened...then you make chunks and bag them make more ice and fill the freezer...
you will discover that your ice making time is going to be faster with a full freezer...:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: plastic milk containers do work but not as well as store bought pans...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It seems that I will spend on buying ice from colmado this month the same money that some people spend here on electricity in whole month.
which is- around 30 usd.Paying 30 usd/ month for the ice doesnt seem to be clever idea, at least for me.

SO...the question is: do you make ice by yourself ? I know that in theory its really simple: just put the water into the freezer and you have ice.
The problem however, is in details: WHERE TO put that water ? to which form ? plastic cup ? nah, it wont work
foil bag ? doesnt seem to be so comfortable also...
i never saw in any shop in DR any kind of "form" to put water into and get some nice ice blocks...
What would you suggest me, except dive into my pocket for 30 bucks ?
:p

If you are anywhere near a La Sirena, they sell "ice cube trays" or "moldes" in Spanish. Probably they aren't the only ones, but I happened to see them last week there.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
i need it to mix it with whatever I drink, and I drink a lot....
and where the hell I can buy ice tray here ? That thing only exists in developed countries, not here.
exactly ice tray is perfect for my needs and I dont need big ice blocks :)
Well, believe it or not, you could try an ice tray to make ice cubes.
I make ice for a "picnic" in quart / 1/2 gallon milk cartons.

It would help if you told us why you need so much ice, and the size blocks / cubes you need, are you preserving fish or dead bodies?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
i think that i will stick to ice trays (if I find them) or milk cartons (actually good idea, however the problem is that freezer doesnt have enough space to put it in "standing" position.
I have a small hammer anyway to crush these blocks in any case...
...buying ice,,,we are in a difficult country...when i was in jamaica w.i. my good friend always gave me the key to the freezer...make ice ,and keep it full... etc...in d.r. its difficult for natives to make ice...dont know why but my ex will see people going to the store to buy ice but we are not allowed to sell it to them...
you have got to go to hdwre store...an old corn bread pan?loaf?type works well...u gotta make block ice...the cheap plastic squares they have there break... a formed metal container(square) is the best....then you need a ice pick..and the trick to an ice pick is to hold the ice in hand...slide the pick down so it cant pass thru the ice....i.e. the ice pick handle is above your grip...and the pick is shortened...then you make chunks and bag them make more ice and fill the freezer...
you will discover that your ice making time is going to be faster with a full freezer...:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: plastic milk containers do work but not as well as store bought pans...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i have old fashioned metal ones...big cubes, wonderful garage sale item

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i think that i will stick to ice trays (if I find them) or milk cartons (actually good idea, however the problem is that freezer doesnt have enough space to put it in "standing" position.
I have a small hammer anyway to crush these blocks in any case...

sheet buy a decent freezer and sell ice man you be the ice man...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
my metal trays ,,,ahh!!! wonderful cubes...probably twice the size of new tray size...

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Go to most colmados and ask for fundas plastico. It comes in a roll and is maybe 30 meters long. It is 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Cut a piece that will fit in your refrigerator and tie a knot in one end. Fill with drinking water and tie a knot in that end. Done.
when frozen I just drop them on the floor to break them up. My Dom wife
uses a big aluminum spoon.
We fill the freezer full of these ice tubes and it keeps the food cold in the refrigerator when no Luz.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Are we serious? How to make ice cubes for a Cuba Libre? I know this is the DR and sometimes access to modern technology is a challenge but really? Ice cubes?

Robbiee,

You said you're travelling shortly. When anywhere but here, buy yourself four stackable plastic ice cube trays and join the 21st century. They are light, easy to pack in a suitcase and you don't need a mortgage to afford them. Since you asked for creative ideas, maybe this will make you the "man about the campo" upon your return:

Amazon.com: Rox Ice Ball Maker Original & Best Ice Ball Mold 4x4.5cm Ball Capacity Black (1 Rox Single Pack): Ice Cube Molds: Kitchen & Dining

Or this one if you want to go all out:

Amazon.com: Cocktail Kingdom Professional 55mm Black Ice Ball Maker: Ice Cream Makers: Kitchen & Dining

The first ice cube costs you $170, but everyone after that is free...

Aug 6, 2006
The very easiest ice cube trays are the silicon ones. It is easy to pop the ice out, and they seem to be very durable.
Those aluminum trays that had a breaker handle were fun to use as well. You pulled on the handle and you got a combination of cubes and ice chips.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I see the simple plastic ones everywhere in Punta Cana. From Super Pola to the little colmado they all know people want ice for their BRUGAL EXTRA VIEJO... LIKE ME. Is this thread for real, or a joke? I can't see where making ice is such a challenge. Generally things are only as difficult as people make them.