A Pleasant Surprise

richard

Jan 1, 2002
When checking in with American Airlines at Puerto Plata Airport in December I asked where to pay the $10.00 departure tax. I was pleasantly surprised when the American employee told me it was no longer necessary, the tax was included in the ticket. Certainly about time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yeah, the tax was included....

Of course the $ 10 tax would be included when they add a 128 dollars total fees and taxes on every Rt ticket to/from Dom Rep. It is just sickening, having to pay that much. My fare was 300 something plus 128 dollars tax (POP - JFK - POP).
No wonder the tourism is down in DR.

peep

Jan 2, 2002
As an airline employee I get to travel for"free". Thats assuming there is an empty seat for me. On my last visit to the DR I had to pay 815 RD$ in taxes to get out of the country. Thats in addition to what I paid for my tourist card to get in. Its gotten to the point where its cheaper for me to go to Florida. I hope the govt comes to their senses before they tax all the tourists out of the country!

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
this sounds strange to me, I just returned from DR on Dec 22 and we had to pay the $10...

peep

Jan 2, 2002
Re AZBs msg. If you still have your ticket reciept, check out what the airfare was compared to the total cost of the ticket!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
iIwas very much surprised, it was on the 13th that I returned, but Iwasn't about to argue.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
It depends when you bought your ticket. Some time in November, the departure tax started being included in the cost of the ticket.

My friend and I travelled together in early December but I bought my ticket way in advance. He bought his in November. His ticket included the departure tax, my did not.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
I bought my ticket on Dec 14 and flew to DR on Dec 16... could the reason I had to pay be because I was flying from Canada?

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
The original posted was about American Airlines. That's who I'm talking about as well. They recently switched to including the departure tax in the ticket. Other airlines may or may not include the tax in the purchase price, so you are correct.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
it is very strange Jim. I purchased my ticket back in August. Perhaps the agent erred?

RayJ

Jan 2, 2002
$10 fee

Likewise my reaction when I asked at the gate , they said the $10 was included in the price of the ticket. I purchased my ticket on or about Nov. 30th for my Dec. 16th return trip.

Since they didn't check any records, and no-one on the flight lined up at the counter to pay the $10 fee, I don't see how it could be purchase date, as chances are some passengers paid for their tickets well in advance.....

Thats $10 saved , I could have had 6 more cuba libres!

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Salida Fee

I just got back a couple of days ago and it sounded too good to be true but was true and operates in the interests of my personal convenience. Why bassackwards though? What about the entrada fee?

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: $10 fee

RayJ said:
Likewise my reaction when I asked at the gate , they said the $10 was included in the price of the ticket. I purchased my ticket on or about Nov. 30th for my Dec. 16th return trip.

Since they didn't check any records, and no-one on the flight lined up at the counter to pay the $10 fee, I don't see how it could be purchase date, as chances are some passengers paid for their tickets well in advance.....

Thats $10 saved , I could have had 6 more cuba libres!

When the $10 was NOT included in the prices of the ticket (my case), they took the $10 at the ticket counter, not the gate like before. For those that didn't get charged and bought their tickets in advance, I can only speculate that the agent made a mistake.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
What was really crazy though was when I came back here from last Thanksgiving. They told me I could pay the salida at the ticket window and I pulled ten bucks out. Nope, payment was only accepted in pesos. I said "in pesos, I've always paid in dollars." Ticket agent then says, of all things, that the government has too many American dollars. Yeah, right, DR is the wealthiest country I've ever been in. So the salida came out to about 165 pesos or something like that and I gave the guy two hundreds and he gets indignant because I don't have exact change. Of course, a nation with too many dollars couldn't possibly have 35 pesos in change. And for all these years I've wondered why nobody there ever has change!!

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
Everytime I have gone up to Toronto and flown on Canada3000 the price of my tickets included both the tourist card and exit fee. The tourist card was given to me at the gate in Toronto. When I fly in with American Airlines, I had to buy the tourist card and pay the exit tax in the departure area. On a side note, one time I was able to buy tickets from Toronto for about the same price as AA charged me from San Juan, PR to Santo Domingo.

Jerry

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Hey Richard

Hey Richard: Good to see you. Next time you take a photo of me at Eddy's (or anywhere else for that matter) could you be kinder to my male pattern baldness? Honest, I'm only 35.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sure Chris. You and John both wanted some touching up but sorry, honesty counts and it seems to me you celebrated a certain milestone event back last Easter.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A pleaseant Surprise

Also some Travel Agency will include the 10.00USD tax on your Tickets. Just make sure they won't charge you twice.
But also staring soon u will have to paid more money for the USA gov. for Secutity Aviation.

I hope they will reduce all those taxes out of RD. with 128.00usd u clould go to Costa RIca or Cancun for vacations....

bye
have a nice day.

sam