First time visiting DR

intomyown

May 5, 2015
My partner and I are planning to visit DR in June. We are very excited to travel and experience your country.
I have some travel related questions (details of flying into SDQ in middle night and lodging options if I know I want to catch first Caribe bus to Samana the following day, public transport from Samana to Caberete, and then to Santo DOmingo). Not sure if its best to post here or wait to post in travel.
Also looking forward to reading other trip reports!

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Welcome to DR 1 and ask and post you questions so you will have options and an idea of your needs while traveling in DR. Looks like you have a great trip planned. You will love the Dominican Republic.
Enjoy.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Flying in in the wee hours - OK to go from airport to hotel. Lots of nice options in colonial zone.

Next day to Samsna will be easy and there are hotels in Samana. Someone else can suggest some. Samana city, area?

Use the usual precautions and you will be safe. Don't carry much cash and don't flash it or jewelry or phones. Safe # is 1000 pesos.

intomyown

May 5, 2015
So there will be plenty of taxis to go to Colonial Zone? What should be average fare?
Thanks for advice on amount of pesos to carry. Assume I can exchange currency in the airport at midnight?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
The fare to colonial zone is 40. They will take dollars or pesos. There is a very strong taxi Union. The guys in yellow shirts are ok. Once you get to your hotel it will be 300-800 pesos to get to the bus station, depending in where you stay. No need to change money. Just call your bank to let them know you are travelling and use the ATM. Take the maximum each time to avoid the per transaction fee. ScotiaBank doesn't have a fee for Bank of America customers. But I haven't seen one at the airport. Your bank may a no fee relationship with another bank. Always have small bills.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My partner and I are planning to visit DR in June. We are very excited to travel and experience your country.
I have some travel related questions (details of flying into SDQ in middle night and lodging options if I know I want to catch first Caribe bus to Samana the following day, public transport from Samana to Caberete, and then to Santo DOmingo). Not sure if its best to post here or wait to post in travel.
Also looking forward to reading other trip reports!

Welcome. Do you have hotel reservations in Samana City? If not you would be better off to stay in Las Terrenas. There are some of the best beaches in the country there. There are also some great restaurants in town. Since you are coming into SDQ in the middle of the night I would take a taxi and stay at the Quality Inn, which is fairly close (10 minutes) from the airport. The next day take a cab to the small bus station at the entrance to the Santo Domingo/Samana Highway. Take the Transporte Las Terrenas bus from here to Las Terrenas. The bus leaves Santo Domingo at 8:30, 9:30 and 11AM, 1:40 and 3PM. It is probably about 30 minutes from SD to this bus station so plan accordingly on the time. The bus cost is about $12usds. Once you are in Las Terrenas there is a bus from this same company that leaves for Puerta Plata everyday at 6:30PM. You can have them stop at Cabarate which you will pass on the way. Good luck

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Be sure to take a taxi who understands some English and who is familiar with your destination. A couple who landed there who work for Barrick gold had an unforgetable ride when their driver got lost and took them to an interesting and dangerous barrio.