Should I get pasos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I wanted to know if I can get by in just the US dollar? I heard there are lots of shoe shine kids there and I want to too these kids because I hate seeing poor kids but I don't know if is need pasos or not? I heard some restaraunts take credit card so I'm good there. But tipping the locals do they take dollars or only pasos?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Pesos all the way. Your initial cab will accept dollars, just bring enough ollars to pay him and pass a cashpoint.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Kids don't care if it's US or pesos, but bring some money and or debit cards bc credit cards are not excepted in a lot of places.

Watch out some of these cute kids have the cutest scams.
What type of scams? And I'm scared of getting pesos cause I suck at math lol the exchange rate would scare the hell out of me

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
What I usually do upon arrival is have $35-40 separated out for the taxi fare into Santo Domingo. Do not exchange money at the airport! After you check into your hotel go to a nearby casa de cambio and exchange enough to last a few days until you become familiar with how it all works and then you can exchange more. Make sure you stay in a hotel with a secure safe. You will have enough coins to pay the shoe shine boys. I often have restaurants box up a take-away and give it to them. Watch not to get scammed too bad.

Also, be aware that most American banks charge an international transaction fee at the ATM's.

Last edited:

joselowe

May 5, 2015
What I usually do upon arrival is have $35-40 separated out for the taxi fare into Santo Domingo. Do not exchange money at the airport! After you check into your hotel go to a nearby casa de cambio and exchange enough to last a few days until you become familiar with how it all works and then you can exchange more. Make sure you stay in a hotel with a secure safe. You will have enough coins to pay the shoe shine boys. I often have restaurants box up a take-away and give it to them. Watch not to get scammed too bad.
Is the Casa thing a bank? And damn is the exchange rate really big from the US dollar. Being bad at math is the part that scares me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
then just use an ATM... ask your bank if they have a no charge ATM in Dom Republic

unless you're exchanging thousands, all rates will be good enough...
go to a bank if you're concerned

any legitimate place will be fine

look at the exchange rate thread here ---- 44.6 or 6 these days... carry a calualtor

using $100US bills, anything over 4500 pesos will be OK.... 4700=even better

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
No, not a bank. A house of money exchange; usually a small shop. Believe me, it will not take you long to adjust to navigating the exchange rate. There is a thread on the Forum dedicated to letting members know how much they have exchanged dollars, euros, etc. for pesos and the casa de cambios have signs posted what their exchange rates are; they tend to fluctuate within hundreths of a point from day to day and during the day. I think the latest I checked was 44.5 pesos to $1. Using the calculator in your cell/smart phone makes it easier. You'll be fine.

Yeah, what William said. :>

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Even if you're terrible at math the exchange rate is REALLY simple. (The method I use even saves you money.)

US$1 = RD$40

RD$10 = US$0.25

Four quarters is one dollar, one dollar is 40 pesos.

so

RD$400 = US$10

Can you divide and multiply by four? If you answered yes then you'll have an easy time.

Small bills to large bills.

RD$20 = US$0.50

RD$50 = US$1.25

RD$100 = US$2.50

RD$200 = US$5.00

RD$500 = US$12.50

RD$1000 = US$25.00

RD$2000 = US$50.00

If you use RD$200 as your base it's simple to convert quick. It's just five bucks.

Now let's understand why you're saving money.

The real exchange rate is above 40, so when you calculate it at 40, you're coming out on top with some extra money in your pocket.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Even if you're terrible at math the exchange rate is REALLY simple. (The method I use even saves you money.)

US$1 = RD$40

RD$10 = US$0.25

Four quarters is one dollar, one dollar is 40 pesos.

so

RD$400 = US$10

Can you divide and multiply by four? If you answered yes then you'll have an easy time.

Small bills to large bills.

RD$20 = US$0.50

RD$50 = US$1.25

RD$100 = US$2.50

RD$200 = US$5.00

RD$500 = US$12.50

RD$1000 = US$25.00

RD$2000 = US$50.00

If you use RD$200 as your base it's simple to convert quick. It's just five bucks.

Now let's understand why you're saving money.

The real exchange rate is above 40, so when you calculate it at 40, you're coming out on top with some extra money in your pocket.
I honestly have dyscalculia so as soon as you mentioned divide and multiply I said Hells to the no! Lol but can I get by using dollars? Will the kids and most restaurants except my US bills or debit/credit card or do I have no other choice but to get pesos?

As someone with dyscalculia (which I should have mentioned in the op) calculators are not easy to use

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Also, just in case you were thinking about giving the shoeshine kids coins, don't.

Foreign coins here have no value, so tipping quarters or dollar coins is useless.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's really not difficult, reconsider where you're going if you cant figure it out. Clean your shoes before you leave. Consider every RD1000 pesos to be $25 US. Dont bring cash money with you, if you lose that then it's gone. Have fun, don't make any new best friends, or fall in love. Get on your plane and go. All is hunky dory!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Curlando's suggestion for you printing yourself a cheat sheet is the best and easiest way for you to figure out the costs of things.
Even if you try to use US dollars you will still need to know how to convert the prices because most things are priced in pesos.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Curlando's suggestion for you printing yourself a cheat sheet is the best and easiest way for you to figure out the costs of things.
Even if you try to use US dollars you will still need to know how to convert the prices because most things are priced in pesos.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Multiple apps for smartphones. Make it easy. I use XE. I also use the 40:1 quick mental calculation. I figure it takes into account the international fees you have to pay.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Is it safe to get Dominican pesos at the airport? I wont have a car and would rather get the pesos from an ATM or bank, than a place I dont trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.