Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fewer than 1,000 people in the country cannot read or write

Fewer than 1,000 people in the country cannot read or write

According to the latest bulletin from the "Quisqueya Learns With You" National Literacy Plan, there are now fewer than 1,000 illiterate people who are yet to enroll in the plan. This means that the task of ensuring that everyone in the country can read and write is now 99.9% complete in the two years and five months that it has been operational.

So far 850,498 people have been enrolled in the plan and only 990 are left to enroll as according to the 2010 Census, 851,396 people over the age of 15 could neither read nor write.

Source: DR1.com

It's true, besides this I saw Elvis, Harry Potter and Lady Di together with Freddy Mercury having lunch the other day at McDonalds.....

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all know its complete BS. What do they define as read and write? Your name and cell phone number?

Looks like they have been very creative with the numbers.

3. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

This is great news as the government begins hiring applicants for the Dominican Space Agency.

5. Likes robbiee liked this post
    *** I love DR1! ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Fewer than 1,000 people in the country can think.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

While there is obviously there are more than a thousand illiterate Dominicans, the program has been very successful and I have seen the evidence.

8. Likes sabra liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it has been a succesfull program - but why the blatant lying about the numbers?

Maybe in order to declare 'the war is won' and remove funding towards bigger and better stuff like jeepeta's?

10. Likes robbiee, markryan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If fewer than 1,000 Dominicans believe that statistic, there is hope.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

12. Likes zoomzx11, Africaida liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I think we all know its complete BS. What do they define as read and write? Your name and cell phone number?

Looks like they have been very creative with the numbers.
    What is their determination of literacy? Potent question. 1st grade literacy and 8th grade literacy SHOULD BE worlds apart.
    I dont know if it is related or not but I think a corrollary issue is "Do the people WANT to be literate?", "Do they respect literacy?" As a collective community I dont think so at all. Some people dont care how they spell words or even they are using the appropriate language referenced word. Some of that is the overinfluence of English language words in pop culture and relatives in the US. But some of it is also because these people spend alot of time speaking colloquially that to a finer ear it sounds like gibberish what they say and how they write.

14. Likes Berzin liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That number MIGHT cover the area La Caleta, santo Domingo alone. Seriously, it is absolutely normal to meet people who can not read, write, have no idea how old they are, when thier birthday is. Many can not tell the time unless on a 12hour digital display. You'll often see people wearing watches yet referring to thier cel phone to tell the time etc.
    The guy who does the odd jobs around our street is the loveliest guy you'll ever want to meet, has no idea how old he is, he must be about 27, and he lives with his parents who have no clue either. How this can happen is beyond me. It's the kind of thing you expect from lost tribes of the amazon, but not such a developed country as DR. But, like I always say, the DR does not need to be regarded as a 'developing' country if the minds of the natives were open to developement. Everything is there except the mentality of the people.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that the Dominican education directorate has used the lowest common denominator to denote literacy. putting letters together to sound out words is known as decoding. that is what is used here. in other countries, the person has to be able to use the decoded word in a sentence, so that is a higher standard of literacy. in some countries, the person being tested for literacy will have to have attended school, not just some neighborhood literacy class.

therefore, a person who is considered literate in the DR, using the minimal criteria, would be an illiterate in the British caribbean territories.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast