What affect this will have on the DR?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Washington (CNN)Americans looking to sail between the United States and Cuba will soon be able to board ferries destined for the island, though restrictions on who can operate the service and what types of travelers they carry remain in place.

The ferry licenses were issued by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control, according to an agency official, who couldn't specify the number of licenses that were issued or the names of the carriers who received them.

However, at least two Florida-based lines -- United Caribbean Lines and Airline Brokers Co. -- confirmed they had received licenses to operate ferry routes between ports in Florida and Cuba. A Puerto Rico-based carrier, America Cruise Ferries, also confirmed they had received a Treasury license for ferry operation on Tuesday.

Revolutionary May Day celebration in Cuba
Revolutionary May Day celebration in Cuba 01:56
PLAY VIDEO
RELATED: Obama plans post-presidency agenda

The lifting of a ban on ferries between the neighboring countries -- in place for decades -- comes as President Barack Obama works to thaw relations with Havana. He met with Cuban leader Raul Castro in April, marking the first time a U.S. president has met his Cuban counterpart for substantive talks in more than half-a-century.

Obama has also worked to lift long-standing restrictions on travel to Cuba. Cuban-Americans visiting family, officials on government trip, and journalists no longer need to receive special permission before traveling to the island, though tourist travel is still prohibited.

The Treasury official said Tuesday the agency was issuing specific ferry licenses on a "case-by-case" basis, and not allowing blanket permission for ferry services to the island.

Advocates for ferry service between the U.S. and Cuba -- which at their closest points are separated by only 90 miles of sea -- say boat transport is more cost-effective than air charters, which can cost hundreds of dollars per passenger.

"This is a significant opportunity to advance U.S.-Cuba relations," said James D. Whisenand, an attorney for America Cruise Ferries, calling the newly issued licenses "a significant green light of the new U.S.-Cuba relationship and a major proponent of the people-to-people policy endorsed by the Obama administration."

"The new ferry service will allow people to board their cars in Miami and arrive in Havana within 9 hours," Whisenand said.
Ferries set to run between U.S. and Cuba - CNNPolitics.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
JetBlue Announces Weekly Flights from New York to Havana
Deal shows growing ease of travel between the two countries

JetBlue will begin operating a weekly flight from New York to Havana, Cuba this summer following the lifting of several travel and trade restrictions on the country.

The new flight will travel between John F. Kennedy International Airport and Havana Jose Marti International Airport each Friday at noon, with a return flight from Havana to JFK every Friday at 4:30 p.m. This makes JetBlue the first carrier to announce additional flights to Cuba from New York since restrictions were lifted earlier this year.

Fliers will have to book flights through Cuba Travel Services, a company that organizes charter flights to Cuba, rather than JetBlue. But Americans are still not authorized to travel to Cuba as tourists and must instead visit for one of 12 specific purposes like visiting a close relative or participating in an academic program.

The partnership follows a recent trade mission by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to Cuba, where he and JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes hashed out a deal with Cuban officials. ?By leading one of the first state trade missions to Cuba as the United States reestablishes diplomatic relations, we placed New York State businesses at the front of the line for new prospects in Cuba, that will in turn support jobs and economic activity here at home,? Cuomo said in a release.

The flights begin on July 3.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
1. Exit fee reduced

2. Hookers in Sosua will stop being harassed

3. Fugitive criminals from Canada will be left alone

4. Normalcy at long last will return

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Washington (CNN)Americans looking to sail between the United States and Cuba will soon be able to board ferries destined for the island, though restrictions on who can operate the service and what types of travelers they carry remain in place.

The ferry licenses were issued by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control, according to an agency official, who couldn't specify the number of licenses that were issued or the names of the carriers who received them.

However, at least two Florida-based lines -- United Caribbean Lines and Airline Brokers Co. -- confirmed they had received licenses to operate ferry routes between ports in Florida and Cuba. A Puerto Rico-based carrier, America Cruise Ferries, also confirmed they had received a Treasury license for ferry operation on Tuesday.

Revolutionary May Day celebration in Cuba
Revolutionary May Day celebration in Cuba 01:56
PLAY VIDEO
RELATED: Obama plans post-presidency agenda

The lifting of a ban on ferries between the neighboring countries -- in place for decades -- comes as President Barack Obama works to thaw relations with Havana. He met with Cuban leader Raul Castro in April, marking the first time a U.S. president has met his Cuban counterpart for substantive talks in more than half-a-century.

Obama has also worked to lift long-standing restrictions on travel to Cuba. Cuban-Americans visiting family, officials on government trip, and journalists no longer need to receive special permission before traveling to the island, though tourist travel is still prohibited.

The Treasury official said Tuesday the agency was issuing specific ferry licenses on a "case-by-case" basis, and not allowing blanket permission for ferry services to the island.

Advocates for ferry service between the U.S. and Cuba -- which at their closest points are separated by only 90 miles of sea -- say boat transport is more cost-effective than air charters, which can cost hundreds of dollars per passenger.

"This is a significant opportunity to advance U.S.-Cuba relations," said James D. Whisenand, an attorney for America Cruise Ferries, calling the newly issued licenses "a significant green light of the new U.S.-Cuba relationship and a major proponent of the people-to-people policy endorsed by the Obama administration."

"The new ferry service will allow people to board their cars in Miami and arrive in Havana within 9 hours," Whisenand said.
Ferries set to run between U.S. and Cuba - CNNPolitics.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deal shows growing ease of travel between the two countries

JetBlue will begin operating a weekly flight from New York to Havana, Cuba this summer following the lifting of several travel and trade restrictions on the country.

The new flight will travel between John F. Kennedy International Airport and Havana Jose Marti International Airport each Friday at noon, with a return flight from Havana to JFK every Friday at 4:30 p.m. This makes JetBlue the first carrier to announce additional flights to Cuba from New York since restrictions were lifted earlier this year.

Fliers will have to book flights through Cuba Travel Services, a company that organizes charter flights to Cuba, rather than JetBlue. But Americans are still not authorized to travel to Cuba as tourists and must instead visit for one of 12 specific purposes like visiting a close relative or participating in an academic program.

The partnership follows a recent trade mission by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to Cuba, where he and JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes hashed out a deal with Cuban officials. “By leading one of the first state trade missions to Cuba as the United States reestablishes diplomatic relations, we placed New York State businesses at the front of the line for new prospects in Cuba, that will in turn support jobs and economic activity here at home,” Cuomo said in a release.

The flights begin on July 3.

This will have little short term impact on tourism in the DR. Over years the DR Gov has done an excellent job in building a tourism infrastructure. Jet blue has an extensive schedule of flights into the DR. You have many, many choices of accommadations from All Inclusives to boutique hotels. Perhaps, this is a good thing for the DR. Possibly this will have a postive effect on the service level here. Competition is never a bad thing.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The DR way to respond to any potential competition coming from Cuba will be to raise the prices for airlines taxes and tourist cards.

Improving quality of service will not factor into the equation.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
That will be awesome for Americans. They get to bring there car as well for a vacation. That would make a huge difference for me if I was planning a trip.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i think one trip to cuba will be enough for most of the people who were reluctant to go there before.
1. cuba is expensive and you get little for your money.
2. hookers are sleazy and expensive and expert con artists.
3. cuba takes off 10-13% off american dollar exchange rate so you are left with very few cuc in the end as compared to actual dollar value.
4. confusing laws, 2 different currencies, unfavorable exchange rate, lousy food, sub-standard hotels, casa particulares (legal family home stay - room rentals).
5. can't really use american credit cards yet, but it should start soon.
6. zero airlines go direct from usa, except charters at the moment (expensive). you need to go there from another country at the moment (example: canada, mexico, DR, jamaica, cayman islands etc).
7. already lots of foreigners go there so american addition is no big deal. chicas (jeneteras) are already spoiled by the tourists.
8. no internet and if you do find wifi, it's 10 dollars /hour run at extremely slow speed. no cell 3g network at all, not even 1g. tourists can rent local sim cards at extremely expensive prices (if you buy minutes as well).
8. extreme poverty everywhere, people live in abject conditions. DR looks like europe as compared to cuba.
9. Water bottles are expensive, like $1.50 for a small bottle. did I tell you that food sucks there?
10. 20 dollars is the visa (i think) and 25 cuc (dollars) is exit fee. must be paid in cuban tourist currenct CUC.
11. everyone in big cities will try to rip you off. separate menu for tourists with prices 3x more expensive in many cases. the street people will try to take you to places where they get a commission. Nothing is free there.
12. if you don't speak spanish, you are screwed. the ones who speak english there will try to take you for a ride where it will cost you $$$$$$$. english speaking girls are always all semi-pro (hookers).
13. good girls from university will not speak to you for the fear of going to jail.
14. good luck for tourists who like UBH (ugly black hookers). you will be stopped by police and the girl will be taken to jail, unless you pay. she may not be allowed in hotel either. Oh, forgot to mention, no cuban girl is allowed in hotels or casa particulares unless she registers herself legally. this could mean trouble by police somewhere along the line.
in simple words, cuba is not colombia or DR.
AZB

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It will be a long time before this will have an affect on Americans traveling to the DR.
The travelers will still have to meet the requirements to enter Cuba. Not every American will be free to go there whenever they want to. Also it is going to take a while for Cuba to improve all the negatives listed in ABC's post.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That will be awesome for Americans. They get to bring there car as well for a vacation. That would make a huge difference for me if I was planning a trip.

Don't count on that happening for many years to come.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm reading a book right now - Havana Bay by Martin Cruz Smith - and I'm struck by how similar his descriptions of Cuban life mirrors DR [especially the hookers].

If we can some day take a ferry with our car to Cuba, I think we'd do it at least once. Cuba has always held some sort of fascination for Mr. AE [a lot of it is the cars], so I know he'd go for it, but for us it would never take the place of DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I'm reading a book right now - Havana Bay by Martin Cruz Smith - and I'm struck by how similar his descriptions of Cuban life mirrors DR [especially the hookers].

If we can some day take a ferry with our car to Cuba, I think we'd do it at least once. Cuba has always held some sort of fascination for Mr. AE [a lot of it is the cars], so I know he'd go for it, but for us it would never take the place of DR.

taking a car to cuba on a ferry will not be worth the trouble or the expense. Look at it this way: I called to take my car on the ferry to puerto rico from santo domingo and to my surprise they charge 250 dollars plus separate insurance and the car has to meet american epa standards. not worth the hassle if you are going there for just a week. I can get a rental car in san juan for 15-20 dollars / day. I have done it so don't challenge me on that.
just imagine what will you have to do to get your car into cuba? imagine the red tape, the cost of ferry (round trip), the insurance premium, god forbid if your car breaks down in cuba, good luck getting it fixed there as there will be no parts for it. imagine getting into an accident there? no foreigner can leave the island unless the case is resolved by the authorities. this could take weeks depending on the severity of the accident.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am a world traveler and I have been to place where many tourists would not dare to go. I have done a serious research into cuban travel and I do fit several categories to travel there legally. after reading all the facts and requirements on traveling to cuba, I have decided to just go to colombia instead. Cuba is not worth the hassle at the moment. maybe 20 yrs ago cuba was a good place to go, not now.
AZB

Aug 6, 2006
Cuba is a lot more expensive than the DR, and you do not have the same ability to travel about the country. Public transportation is overcrowded and rare and renting a car is expensive.
For those who DO go to Cuba, there is a very easy way to avoid the 25% overcharge on exchanging dollars for CUCSs: Just convert your dollars to Euros first. There is no surcharge on Euros, and the conversion charge, at least if done in downtown Miami and not in any airport, is around 1.5%.

I don't think that Cuba and the DR are in direct competition at the present time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
taking a car to cuba on a ferry will not be worth the trouble or the expense. Look at it this way: I called to take my car on the ferry to puerto rico from santo domingo and to my surprise they charge 250 dollars plus separate insurance and the car has to meet american epa standards. not worth the hassle if you are going there for just a week. I can get a rental car in san juan for 15-20 dollars / day. I have done it so don't challenge me on that.
just imagine what will you have to do to get your car into cuba? imagine the red tape, the cost of ferry (round trip), the insurance premium, god forbid if your car breaks down in cuba, good luck getting it fixed there as there will be no parts for it. imagine getting into an accident there? no foreigner can leave the island unless the case is resolved by the authorities. this could take weeks depending on the severity of the accident.
AZB

Excellent points.

Apr 7, 2014
The DR way to respond to any potential competition coming from Cuba will be to raise the prices for airlines taxes and tourist cards.

Improving quality of service will not factor into the equation.
Clearly you have tried to rent an apartment in this country. If you have no offers at 10,000 pesos then you rightfully should ask for 12,000.

But seriously $166 is a high ride for airfare taxes.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
International tourism loves virgin ground, and the DR lost its virginity long ago. Given the appeal of Havana compared with Santo Domingo (great food and excellent tour buses, no pollution or traffic jams, well educated and honest travel operators, inexpensive cultural opportunities), The EFFECT (not affect) will be enormous. The DR will lose sophisticated travellers.

Apr 7, 2014
International tourism loves virgin ground, and the DR lost its virginity long ago. Given the appeal of Havana compared with Santo Domingo (great food and excellent tour buses, no pollution or traffic jams, well educated and honest travel operators, inexpensive cultural opportunities), The EFFECT (not affect) will be enormous. The DR will lose sophisticated travellers.
Could be...Havana has greater cultural relevance than Santo Domingo musically with respect to jazz music and musica tropical.
Food? I dont know...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I visited Cuba in 1997 and I loved it but as AZB states things might have changed however I have some American friends who live part time in the DR they go there all the time and actually prefer Cuba but for obvious reasons they can't live there, yet.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Havana does indeed have a vibrant music scene and a well controlled population ( due to fear of the state apparatus) but there is plenty of pollution, and extremely poor infrastructure. Most tourists with open eyes will go, once.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Either word is OK in this discussion ms grammar police. :cool:
Affect: have an effect on; make a difference to.
Effect: cause (something) to happen; bring about.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Havana does indeed have a vibrant music scene and a well controlled population ( due to fear of the state apparatus) but there is plenty of pollution, and extremely poor infrastructure. Most tourists with open eyes will go, once.

I agree, my research agrees with what is written above. I have seen plenty of youtube videos on what is going on currently in cuba. just deviate from the main tourists attractions and the cuban reality with bring tears to your eyes.
AZB