Living in Dominican Republic

fanofdidier

Apr 23, 2015
Dear Friends,
I want to live in dominican republic. What should I do to live in Dr forever ? How can I get a job as a tourist ? Please help me about it. I really want to come to DR and I want to live there!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have to say "stay wherever you are", there are no jobs for tourists. You need residency to work, but DR IS NOT THE PLACE TO COME IF YOU NEED TO WORK TO LIVE THERE.

Sorry.

fanofdidier

Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for the anwers!!! If I can be a resident. then Can I find a job to live ? or I can speak english fluently. I think it helps me . Do you think that ? or If I can with around 10.000 dollars. Can I do my own job ? Is that enough money for it ?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

A good place to start is here: http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

It's a long thread, but contains lots of really good information as far as how much you'll need to get along in various areas.

My advice is to take a portion of that 10k, and come down for a month or two. See how you really like it, and only then try to figure out how to make a living in DR. See if you really want the non-tourist lifestyle, or just need to get "caribbean fever" out of your system.

The majority of people who do live here obtain their money from non-DR sources (i.e., pensions, social security, investments, online businesses or outsourcing.) It is very difficult for someone who doesn't have a deep understanding of local business practices and/or come from one of the well-connected Dominican cliques to do well there.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I've a feeling you're gunna end up blowing that 10G and be back to square one in 6 months. If you're looking for a life changing move, for the better, on $10,000 the DR is not the place. It will rape you and your bank account and kick you out of bed penniless.
If you have nothing to offer DR then think of somewhere you do instead of wasting your money on a fantasy. It's sh1t trying to scratch a living.

Back to the drawing board!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Anything is possible :)
Meet a rich Brugal chica ( or a girl from any other wealthy Dominican family) then I'D say, yes you can do it......But $10,000 US may buy you a year, if you live on the cheap (rice and beans and no dates)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the anwers!!! If I can be a resident. then Can I find a job to live ? or I can speak english fluently. I think it helps me . Do you think that ? or If I can with around 10.000 dollars. Can I do my own job ? Is that enough money for it ?

Dear Dazed and Confused:

What have you been smokin'? Come back to the forum when you sober up.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Sniff Sniff....I smell a sock.....

Yup, reminds of me of the old addage

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

fanofdidier

Apr 23, 2015
Dear Friends, I am just searching about it.
I think This forum is best way to learn something. Why are you kidding me ? This is not funny!

fanofdidier

Apr 23, 2015
Dear Friends, I am just searching about it.
I think This forum is best way to learn something. Why are you kidding me ? This is not funny!
Also I said If I come to Dr with 10000 $ I can make my own job.
of course that money is not enough to live in DR.

@Cris Colon I can'T send you pm. I guess There is a problem about it.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The key to living here is generating passive income.

Put the $10K in a CD with a DR bank that will give you 5% interest.

This will generate $41 in interest payments to you per month.