Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gazcue, help and budget ?

I finally got hold of my friend who lived in SD for four years. She went to UNIBE.

She told me they lived in Gazcue and that is a very good neighborhood for kids, safe and secure. What do you think?

Her unfurnished three bedroom apartment with a one year lease was $700 a month. Do you think $1,000-1,200 a month for a three month lease, fully furnished, two bedroom at least, with a generator and security, is realistic in that area?

She said her maid/nanny, living six days a week in her house was $250 a month. I'm not interested in having help like that, but I really want a tutor for the boys (2 boys) to help us homeschooling. I would like somebody coming to help (specially laundry, since I hate it and it doesn't seem washers in the house are that common over there) maybe once a week, Is that doable? How much do you think it would be?

She said that in house help is not a luxury over there, as it is in the US, but more of a living style, many poor ladies from the "campo" come to the city to work and part of being a maid is living in the house, I would feel awkward living like that :/ (I'm the kind of person that, the very few times I've had somebody to clean the house, actually cleans before she comes!)

Also, she mentioned that SD is expensive, specially food. Our monthly budget in the US is $6,000, that's for necessary expenses, living comfortable, but no luxuries (a big chunk of that is food and gas) living in DR we would still have mortgage and basic bills to pay over here, so we can't spend that much money over there.
    What would you say a family of 6 (4 kids included) with an apartment, no car (using taxis mostly, once comfortable public trans.) speaking fluent Spanish (that's my native language) so can buy basic food from locals(hopefully, anyways) with a pretty much latin diet (beans, rice, stews, roast pork, etc), so no need to buy foreign products as often (except for cereal which she said is ridiculously expensive so might have the boys eating eggs for a while) would spend a month approximately.

Oh, I forgot, what about credit cards? I know you can't use them in small places like "el colmado" but what about big supermarkets, pharmacies (big chains) etc?

Our cellphones won't work over there (T mobile) but I read that buying a SIM card there would. What about pre paid phones bought n the States (my dad would add minutes from here as needed) would they work? Is that a better alternative than buying a SIM card there (well, in that case my dad would be paying for the minutes, so I guess it would be a better deal for us, lol)

She also mentioned that she used to travel to Miami every 4 months and go back with ham, cheese, beef (she says beef is not that good over there?), cereal, etc. Can you really take those stuff through customs? Everytime we travel to Europe we can't take any fresh stuff home!

I'm sorry for all the questions, and thank you for any advice you can give us.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Dont use credit/ debit cards here for payments. Only withdraw money from ATM. This is not US and paying by card can be risky, as someone can clone your card.
    2. if your cellphone is unlocked you may get it here and put local simcard. if its locked and works only with tmobile...well, it wont work here unless you will unlock it.
    just buy local sim and dont bother taking foreign simcards...and actually - if I would be you, I would use skype, MUCH cheaper.
    3. Budget - hard to say....I'm a single 32 years male, I dont need luxuries and i live here for around 700 usd/ month. But I dont live in Santo Domingo and i Pay for the small apartment just 220 usd...with everything.
    It depends how old are your kids, what they need and what is your lifestyle ? Do you plan to move around/ travel a lot ?
    i think that your whole pack can manage with around 3,000-4,000 $/ month, but this is just wild guess...As i never had family

3. Likes sabra liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gazcue in SD

Quote Originally Posted by Alas View Post
    ... in Gazcue and that is a very good neighborhood for kids, safe and secure. What do you think?
    True.

Her unfurnished three bedroom apartment with a one year lease was $700 a month. Do you think $1,000-1,200 a month for a three month lease, fully furnished, two bedroom at least, with a generator and security, is realistic in that area?
    Doable.

I would like somebody coming to help (specially laundry, since I hate it and it doesn't seem washers in the house are that common over there) maybe once a week, Is that doable? How much do you think it would be?
    Try to get someone who is recommended to you. As a rule of thumb pay about 700 to 1,000 RD$/day (for single days).

Our monthly budget in the US is $6,000...
    You'll be fine with that and live like CCCCCCCCC....
    For an overview of some prices see:
    Ofertas - Super Pola

what about credit cards? I know you can't use them in small places like "el colmado" but what about big supermarkets, pharmacies (big chains) etc?
    Credit Cards are widely accepted.
    However, I am one of those who do not recommend to use them in certain places.

She also mentioned that she used to travel to Miami every 4 months and go back with ham, cheese, beef ....
    You can all get that in very good quality in SD, no problem.

donP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The boys will be by the time we go 15, 6, 4, and 2.

I don't think our cells are unlocked... (honestly I have no idea what that is, my kid took his SIM card from his old cell and put it in my husband's old Galaxy and it works, so maybe his is unlocked?...) So you think prepaids from the US won't work there ? (that's what my dad uses in Cuba) we don't use our phones a lot, so it will be an "in case of emergency" kind of thing.

Skype won't help much, my parents are "technology challenged" so they won't know how to use it )I've spent countless hours teaching them, believe me) and the use of cells will be more among us than anything, one of the main reasons to travel is to give our teen more independence, but I freak out just imagining him walking around (I'm a bit of a helicopter mom) so a cell for him is a must)

travel? Sure, we plan on seeing the beaches and stuff, but we usually travel "cheap" although we are planning on going to a resort one weekend, most likely when my dad visits (he will be paying for most of it I'm a daddy's girl, lol) but will be visiting museums and important places in the DR ( I read "la fiesta del Chivo" a while back and my friend says walking around Gazcue is like reading the book, can't wait to feel that!)

If we can manage with $3-4K it would be awesome!!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skype Rates

Skype won't help much...
    It would.
    Your parents do not need Skype, but you can call their number at low rates:
    Skype Rates | Cheap International Calls

donP

7. Likes Alas, sabra liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

you can call from skype to landlines and mobiles, thats what I meant. and its cheap.
    sometimes tthe phones are locked only to one mobile network, like tmobile, orange, whatever.....
    The boys will be by the time we go 15, 6, 4, and 2.

I don't think our cells are unlocked... (honestly I have no idea what that is, my kid took his SIM card from his old cell and put it in my husband's old Galaxy and it works, so maybe his is unlocked?...) So you think prepaids from the US won't work there ? (that's what my dad uses in Cuba) we don't use our phones a lot, so it will be an "in case of emergency" kind of thing.

Skype won't help much, my parents are "technology challenged" so they won't know how to use it )I've spent countless hours teaching them, believe me) and the use of cells will be more among us than anything, one of the main reasons to travel is to give our teen more independence, but I freak out just imagining him walking around (I'm a bit of a helicopter mom) so a cell for him is a must)

travel? Sure, we plan on seeing the beaches and stuff, but we usually travel "cheap" although we are planning on going to a resort one weekend, most likely when my dad visits (he will be paying for most of it I'm a daddy's girl, lol) but will be visiting museums and important places in the DR ( I read "la fiesta del Chivo" a while back and my friend says walking around Gazcue is like reading the book, can't wait to feel that!)

If we can manage with $3-4K it would be awesome!!!!!

9. Likes Alas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gazcue is a great neighbourhood in most aspects - I used to live there myself. One drawback is proximity to schools. For primary schools you have the Montessori or the Babeque, but neither are international/bilingual. The Dominico-Americano is not too far, but most other international schools are a fair distance.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

11. Likes Alas liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh right you can call cells! In that case we would need internet access, there are internet cafes over there I assume... In case we won't get it in our rental (can you use skype on an Ipad? you know my parents are the ones technological challenged, lol)

We are not sending the boys to school there, will be teaching at home, so proximity to schools is not really an issue.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant imagine living without internet...I would suggest you renting something with already installed internet...It wont be that hard if you plan to rent longterm.
    Internet cafes here are for people with iron nerves, as - guess what - THEY ARE NOISY.

Oh right you can call cells! In that case we would need internet access, there are internet cafes over there I assume... In case we won't get it in our rental (can you use skype on an Ipad? you know my parents are the ones technological challenged, lol)

We are not sending the boys to school there, will be teaching at home, so proximity to schools is not really an issue.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, I blurt out the words "in case we don't have internet" so easy, but really, I can't imagine how it would be without it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast