Money. Dominican Republic Pesos!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Dear Moderators i am getting increasingly irritated and fed up with all these posters who do not tell us if they are quoting RD$ or US$.

I presume they are mostly US citizens who have not yet learned that they are not the only posters on this Forum, there are many who come from countries much older then the US but
even so they don't quote prices in Euros, Pounds sterling, Zloty, Rubles or what have you. So please Moderators make a rule that posters must make it clear if they wish to post in anything except RD$.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am getting increasingly irritated about intolerant folks that can not use common sense in reading this forum after being here 8 years. I suggest either herbal medication to cure your I.C.S. , or a trip to another board.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well the OP is not entirely wrong.......
Take that thread on guy moving to dr...... blablabla....... unfurnished room in barrio 500 $.
Either its cheap in pesos, or they saw u coming in ure net vest, shorts and sandals.....and its expensive in $.

When I go to the colmado and he quotes a price... its in pesos..... know why ?? Cos i am in the dr.
If u are quoted a price in $, its cos u must look the part....:laugh:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You are suggesting additional rules be placed in the hands of power crazed mods??????????? You gotta be a Brit or Canadian.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Tamborista, this is supposed to be a forum about the Republica Dominicana so what's wrong about wanting to stick to things Dominican just becaus
e many Americans can't be bothered to enter into Dominican life whole heartedly. I do not understand why non-US citizens who live here should be forced to
e forced to learn US currency just to accommodate who have only half come here and want to turn it into yet another State of the Union so that they do not have to learn anything new.
WWhen I eventually decided to stay here, retired until I left in a box I got rid of all my UK possessions except my bank account, am still trying very hard to not only learn but also understand Spanish and the Dominicans, In our house English is spoken only very occasionally and then only for the benefit of our daughter 'english.
Although I just about understand US$ we don't use them in the house. I sometimes feel that this forum ought to have a flag system so that one can tell wholehearted immigrants who now live here and those who only come on holiday and want to change the place.
There you are Tamborista you can have fun tearing me to shreds.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I could not agree more, let's disable any US denominated posters from posting anything but RD Peso comments.
I here by nominate you to be the currency moderator, I have PM'ed all of the SUPER MODS as well as the minister of the RD treasury. From noon on , you are now the DR 1 currency monitor.

PS: Is that The Queen's English you are speaking, it sure ain't Oxford taught!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Tamborista, this is supposed to be a forum about the Republica Dominicana so what's wrong about wanting to stick to things Dominican just becaus
e many Americans can't be bothered to enter into Dominican life whole heartedly. I do not understand why non-US citizens who live here should be forced to
e forced to learn US currency just to accommodate who have only half come here and want to turn it into yet another State of the Union so that they do not have to learn anything new.
WWhen I eventually decided to stay here, retired until I left in a box I got rid of all my UK possessions except my bank account, am still trying very hard to not only learn but also understand Spanish and the Dominicans, In our house English is spoken only very occasionally and then only for the benefit of our daughter 'english.
Although I just about understand US$ we don't use them in the house. I sometimes feel that this forum ought to have a flag system so that one can tell wholehearted immigrants who now live here and those who only come on holiday and want to change the place.
There you are Tamborista you can have fun tearing me to shreds.
I can see your point, to an extent. But, what you overlooked, is that most prices are talked about are in pesos, except properties sales and rentals. Why, because $$ is the currency mostly used for these transactions.
As long as $$ is the world trading currency if will be used to determine an international value. It's not pure American ego.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I paid 1,000 central african francs for a pack of Marb Lights, just the other day. Which is 76 Dominican Pesos, or about 1.7 freedom units.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well Tamborista, it was supposed to be the Queens English but not Oxford nor indeed Cambrige, still it couldn' t have been that bad 'cos you understood
it. (Written with respect not mockery!)
Cor I've got 2 minutews left to run amok!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think that "Spanish" should be made the official language of DR1!!!!!!!!!!
Then we would have all new moderators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No real American ever wants to enter Dominican life wholeheartedly. We are all just here for the good stuff.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
A few years back I was departing from POP and was sitting next to the booth where exit fees were paid. My fee was included in my ticket price but the passengers on charter flights had to pay. It was $10 USD and the Dominican gentleman collecting the fees would only take US dollars. Several Brits came to the booth and protested that they didn't have dollars and hadn't used dollars for any of their trip. The Dominican gentleman was very stone face and let them vent until they were finished and then directed them to the snack bar where they could exchange their pounds for dollars so they could pay. I'm sure they didn't get a favorable exchange rate. LOL.

As CC would say the dollar is king. So you bloody Brits better get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.