PT and Mahogany raised deck

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Anyone seen pressure treated/mahogany raised decks? PT for the structural and Mahogany for the deck and rails? Any examples on the North Coast?

And how about the going board foot rate for mahogany?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Ipe is the wood you want......south American ironwood......excellent decking

You will find that all Florida export agents will readily quote Ipe decking........why waste mahogany on a deck.

And yes you would use pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine for the structure.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you can afford it, I suggest "Caoba" for the entire structure.
"PT" WILL eventually get eaten here.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ipe is the wood you want......south American ironwood......excellent decking

You will find that all Florida export agents will readily quote Ipe decking........why waste mahogany on a deck.

And yes you would use pressure treated Southern Yellow Pine for the structure.

I have never seen IPE (Brazilian hardwood) in the DR. Maybe they call it something different.

A few years ago we found some 10'x3'x2"' slabs of a super hard wood that we was told came from Chile, maybe that was IPE? We ended up making desks out of it at DR1. We blunted saw blades, pain to work with and takes a few people to lift one of the desks.

desk_1.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have never seen IPE (Brazilian hardwood) in the DR. Maybe they call it something different.

A few years ago we found some 10'x3'x2"' slabs of a super hard wood that we was told came from Chile, maybe that was IPE? We ended up making desks out of it at DR1. We blunted saw blades, pain to work with and takes a few people to lift one of the desks.

desk_1.jpg

It may come under the name Brazilian Walnut. Whilst slow growing it is sustainable species and forested and it is machined in US for export to islands in 4" and 6" widths with hidden joints for 'biscuit fixing.

Yes it is extremely hard and wares out normal saw blades quickly...hence called ironwood....very heavy too...does not float.

You will find it in all the decent resorts for decking throughout the Caribbean because it is extremely durable and stable. The only decent alternative I have come across commercially for decking is Indonesian bangkerai (balau).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ipe Wood

I have never seen IPE (Brazilian hardwood) in the DR.

Many timber companies sell it.
One is "Madesol"...
It is available there in 2 types (also 'rojo').

"Ipe
DESCRIPCION DE LA MADERA La direccion de la fibra es contrahilo siempre presente, a veces muy fuerte, el grano es fino a medio y el mallado extraordinariamente fino. USOS Ebanisteria, Entarimados decorativos e industrial, Construccion naval, Mangos de herramientas, Carpinterias de interior y exterior. DISPONIBILIDAD - Tablones: 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4 pulg./grueso"

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Ultimate Alternative

This is the (relatively new) bridge in Las Terrenas leading from the police station side over to the 'pueblo de pescadores'.

LTBridge_zpsr6pwdwqz.jpg

Guess, what it is made out of....

donP

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Hello,
I am not sure Mahogany is appropriated for a deck.
Because you will have to dye then to varnish . and do it again each year.
(If not the rain water will take the mahogany color and will damage all around)

There is a special wood for outside deck. You just have do do nothing or just oiled but no varnish at all. So no maintenance.
You can get this wood at Madeco in Santiago. I do not remember the name of the wood. Ask wood for deck.
They sale it 121 x 4.5 at Pesos 1000 each.
My chaise-longues are made of mahogany. I am glad to use another wood for a deck
I have also a mahogany terrasse and that need a lot of maintenance

Let me know if interested for more details
Cordially

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Anyone seen pressure treated/mahogany raised decks? PT for the structural and Mahogany for the deck and rails? Any examples on the North Coast?

And how about the going board foot rate for mahogany?

Can't say about examples, but Mahogany is a good choice for decks. Mahogany will last 25+ years and still look good as long as you use stainless hardware to put it together. Steel fasteners cause the wood to turn black because of the sap in the mahogany. Beautiful when you're finished and it's all "oiled up". Most people don't use varnish on mahogany and instead use tongue oil or Cetol. If using oil or sealer, the mahogany will look beautiful, won't crack or splinter like other woods because of it's density. It greys up nicely, and can be re-oiled or sealed by washing with soap and water and applying more oil.

Downsides are it is tough to work with. Doesn't cut well, and you will have to pre-drill screw holes as driving deck screws through the mahogany you will strip out or spin the heads off of the screws without pre drilling. Cost is stiff too. standard African or Honduran Mahogany goes for about 6.50/bd ft. 6" wide. Good patterned Honduran Mahogany will run 11.50/ bd ft. I wish I could tell you where in the DR you could get it, but I do know that is available in PR and also St. Croix. St. Croix sells a lot of it.
Google mahogany decks.. Hope this helped.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is the (relatively new) bridge in Las Terrenas leading from the police station side over to the 'pueblo de pescadores'.

LTBridge_zpsr6pwdwqz.jpg

Guess, what it is made out of....

donP

The decking looks like,
A man made product!
"Engineered Wood ".
T railings are "Caoba"!
Beautiful job!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
If you can afford it, I suggest "Caoba" for the entire structure.
"PT" WILL eventually get eaten here.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Caoba is the best wood here. I built my bar tops with it. Sealed with epoxy they are practically indestructible. Criss is 100 percent correct.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The decking looks like,
A man made product!
"Engineered Wood ".
T railings are "Caoba"!
Beautiful job!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was thinking the same. How does composite decking hold up in the DR? I know mold loves it in my area.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Can't say about examples, but Mahogany is a good choice for decks. Mahogany will last 25+ years and still look good as long as you use stainless hardware to put it together. Steel fasteners cause the wood to turn black because of the sap in the mahogany. Beautiful when you're finished and it's all "oiled up". Most people don't use varnish on mahogany and instead use tongue oil or Cetol. If using oil or sealer, the mahogany will look beautiful, won't crack or splinter like other woods because of it's density. It greys up nicely, and can be re-oiled or sealed by washing with soap and water and applying more oil.

Downsides are it is tough to work with. Doesn't cut well, and you will have to pre-drill screw holes as driving deck screws through the mahogany you will strip out or spin the heads off of the screws without pre drilling. Cost is stiff too. standard African or Honduran Mahogany goes for about 6.50/bd ft. 6" wide. Good patterned Honduran Mahogany will run 11.50/ bd ft. I wish I could tell you where in the DR you could get it, but I do know that is available in PR and also St. Croix. St. Croix sells a lot of it.
Google mahogany decks.. Hope this helped.

Good info, Thanks. Mahogany is one wood I've never worked with, but I thought it cut and shaped easy? Is the Dominican Caoba easier to work with?