Santiago

Alas

May 3, 2015
I'm not flaky, I promise ;) We are just contemplating different scenarios, that's all.

What do you think about Santiago, to go for three months. On line it says that the nearest beach is about 23 miles away, and that the road (highway?) is pretty good. Looking at rental apartments it seems they are cheaper than in SD, found an old post here that mentioned some good neighborhoods.

Who lives, or has visited Santiago that can give me some info on it? Good neighborhood and stuff.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Depends on what you are coming to the country for. I lived in the La Trinitaria area for about 6mos, near the Monument. Very nice, more expensive area, near Caribe tours/Metro bus station. For only 3 month stay you would want furnished. Expect to pay a real estate agent a 1 mo rental fee and the drive to a decent beach is at least 1 hour.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Are you set on living in a large city? If not, the Punta Cana/Bavaro area might work. Rent is within your budget, and other than a weekly trip to a large grocery store, everything in El Cortecito or Los Corales is within walking distance. For 30 pesos the guagua will take you to the mall, and I think the express bus to Santo Domingo is about $10 if you want to go to the city. I know several teachers from the US in the area that would be able to help with home schooling.

Alas

May 3, 2015
We are spending the winter there, so January through March-April. We are still looking into SD, but Santiago also seems good.

So we are looking for the same thing there like in SD, a safe neighborhood for kids (we have four boys) close to shops, stores, parks, etc. An apartment (or house) of at least two bed., A/C, generator (do you loose electricity there like in SD?) in a nice and safe place, our budget for a place is $1 000-1 200, do you think it's reasonable that amount?

Alas

May 3, 2015
The thing is that we want to live with locals, so the kids can mingle with kids who don't speak English so they are forced to speak Spanish, my oldest was fluent but i harder and harder to get him to speak now, and last time I heard him it was really bad.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
The thing is that we want to live with locals, so the kids can mingle with kids who don't speak English so they are forced to speak Spanish, my oldest was fluent but i harder and harder to get him to speak now, and last time I heard him it was really bad.

Yeah, this will end well.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I can understand that. My 10 year old is not as fluent as I would like either. But when we are there, he picks it back up rapidly, as he is forced to speak Spanish. If you were to consider Bavaro, it would be on the low end of your budget, with 24/7 power, and some places even include cable and wifi.

People who live in Santiago seem to love it, the highway to the beach is my least fav highway I have traveled I think it is a death trap but doable to drive as I do it now and again. Living near a beach is over rated anyways.
Santiago is cheaper than a lot of other areas in the DR and has a lot of amenities that I miss dearly living on the NC!!

Don't know about safe neighbourhoods but I am sure it is better than SD for most people.

I wanted to live with the locals as well and I am really glad we did that. I have learned a lot and gringos can be annoying :).

Good luck, hopefully more people with Santiago experience chime in!

Your budget seems good for rent in Santiago.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
I lived there, your budget is totally doable.
anyway, you need something for 6 persons, right ? if you dont need AC THAT MUCH, i think that you should find something for 500-600 in center of the city easily.
generally speaking Santiago is safer than Santo Domingo.
We are spending the winter there, so January through March-April. We are still looking into SD, but Santiago also seems good.

So we are looking for the same thing there like in SD, a safe neighborhood for kids (we have four boys) close to shops, stores, parks, etc. An apartment (or house) of at least two bed., A/C, generator (do you loose electricity there like in SD?) in a nice and safe place, our budget for a place is $1 000-1 200, do you think it's reasonable that amount?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
edit: if you are looking for just 2 bedrooms apartment with AC you should even find it for said 500-600 usd there.
the hint is: never ever look for places to rent online, you have to be there... and if you speak spanish....I see no problems in that
but if you dont have time to get there and search, you will overpay..and will pay usually 50-100 % than you "should"....

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Yes Robbie is right, Apartments seem to be cheaper than a lot of places in the DR!! :)

I find Santiago so hot but it seems to be less humid than the NC. Is that correct or am Imagining things?

January to March can be really cold at night. Summer unbearable. To the OP: there are many good neighborhoods in Santiago. But since your kids will not be going to school with the upper class neighbor kids then they might not find many friends. And even the best areas have their security issues. Seek out some threads by SKING since she has written about taking her family to Santiago. I was going to suggest the Cerro Alto area for your family but some recent events there and the people I know living there have dimmed my view of that Barrio. Good Luck.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
actually they are in "normal", dominican prices over there. but you have great variety of them, which is good.
the only locations that "stands out" are Bavaro/ Punta Cana and others close to the beach :)
yes, Santiago can be very hot...But I would say that its the same like in whole country. The problem could be only with lack of wind, due to street congestation and hot air with smoke due to lots of cars.
humidity is probably the same like everywhere...anyway, I remember being there in June and sweating..just like in Barahona or Las Terrenas ;-)
Yes Robbie is right, Apartments seem to be cheaper than a lot of places in the DR!! :)

I find Santiago so hot but it seems to be less humid than the NC. Is that correct or am Imagining things?

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
if she will rent a apartment in condominium building where the other people live, she will have no problems with security. thats my opinion.
the other thing is renting a house....
I would recommend center of the city (centro historico) or la zurza
And even the best areas have their security issues. Seek out some threads by SKING since she has written about taking her family to Santiago. I was going to suggest the Cerro Alto area for your family but some recent events there and the people I know living there have dimmed my view of that Barrio. Good Luck.

edk0514

Mar 15, 2008
I live en the Cerro Alto section of Santiago.
En a new apartment complex called : Paradise 3

I pay 15,000 peso a month for a 3 bedroom ,2 bath unfurnished apartment.

The complex is a gated community with 24 hour security, 2 swimming pools ,basketball court,children play area and a state of the art gym.

My electric is 1000-1200 peso a month
Cable, internet, and house phone is 3,200 peso a month ( for 2 Tv with the HD and movie package ).
Water bill is : 880 peso a month

Around $500 US a month for every thing ( except food )

I bought my own furniture .....

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I live en the Cerro Alto section of Santiago.
En a new apartment complex called : Paradise 3

I pay 15,000 peso a month for a 3 bedroom ,2 bath unfurnished apartment.

The complex is a gated community with 24 hour security, 2 swimming pools ,basketball court,children play area and a state of the art gym.

My electric is 1000-1200 peso a month
Cable, internet, and house phone is 3,200 peso a month ( for 2 Tv with the HD and movie package ).
Water bill is : 880 peso a month

Around $500 US a month for every thing ( except food )

I bought my own furniture .....[/QU

Do you have A/C in your apt.?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You can get by, no problem.

4 boys and yourself + wife, how many bedrooms do you need? That is what you've got to decide.

I recommend Villa Olga. Close to everything, in your budget, safe, and has a nice park (Benito Juarez).

Go down this list: Bienes Raices Santiago de Republica Dominicana. Livio.com

Search for apartments to give yourself an idea of what you'll be spending. (Some of the sites search function sucks.)

Santiago has almost everything SD has, just in a smaller, more accessible way (usually).

I live close to Villa Olga but not in it, so my rent is a bit cheaper.

3 bedroom, 2 bath with water, electric, and internet runs about US$450/month.